If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-03-03 06:05:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sorry, I didn't really make it clear that (I believe) the tune came from a secondary source.  That game used passages from two pieces (this and this) of J.S. Bach for two of its areas, and the one I linked above sounds a lot like I've heard it somewhere else.

----

Now these tunes below I know are from something else, most likely other videogames (maybe TV shows or movies)

http://unknown634.sytes.net:81/upload/rainbow/mmsg/

These files were extracted from the "megaman sprite game", which you can find here (yes, it's stylistic suck).  The full soundtrack can be found here, along with a little LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet that contains everything I've identified so far.

• Ys Origin: Third Story Nightmare: the Demonic Core: part 1: OH GOD PAIN

So at this point generic monsters are all deathtraps that can waste you in seconds and you'll probably have to abuse the Spirit Cape a bit until you pick up the armor.  Boost spam helps, especially once you get Burst and can spontaneously clear every other scuffle.  This area is a great excuse to buy the stun upgrade, since you can abuse it on the undead casters and spinny guys to stop their attacks.  Unfortunately there's no nice way to kill chainsaw flowers besides tediously hit-and-running them 3-4 times each.

Third guy's midboss is Kishgal.  And even though you fight him in the midboss room, it's the pain in the ass one that Yunica fights as an area endboss instead of Hugo's wimpy midboss version.  It's not quite as much of an absurd "I have 85 billion HP and will randomly sodomize you with a completely undodgeable combo" as with Yunica, because between high speed and the fire attack you're actually mechanically capable of avoiding anything he throws at you...if you're already at distance.  The problem is that you're not mechanically capable of safely hitting him.  If he whirlwinds immediately after his previous attack, your spin won't carry you out because it moves exactly as fast as you do and you're hosed.  So it still comes down to the obnoxious dumb luck of how badly he decides to randomly sodomize you as you grind down his 85 billion HP.

Seriously, fuck Kishgal.  As much as I bitch about some of the others, he's the only boss I actually hate in a game of otherwise well-balanced and fun if difficult boss fights.  It feels like they tuned him to expect you to be overleveled so you can brute-force a messy slugfest, but you're screwed on Boss Rush.

Zava almost makes up for it.  She's another one that gets hilariously trivialized.  You just kind of run around cackling and throw yourself at her a bunch like a big fiery Taz, and the fight ends with minimal fuss.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I found a sixty dollar Best Buy gift card from Christmas that I forgot I had, so of course I immediately went to go spend ninety bucks to buy the Heart of the Swarm collectors edition.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Hrm. The best looking part of that collectors edition is the art book. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Art books were prominently featured by a couple vendors at Katsucon, but I didn't really feel like taking the time to sift through them.  Especially since I was constantly watching my clock to make sure I could make it back upstairs in time to get Lumière's autograph.

• There is love everywhere, I already know
  • MrWMrW
    edited 2013-03-05 06:46:18

^Pervy otakus+unusually large tits+PS Vita price cut=Cha-ching!

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

First, the Vita game’s fan-service elements have seen a significant upgrade from their 3DS predecessors, which undoubtedly helped push sales.

:(

• edited 2013-03-05 07:18:42
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I'm just waiting until @Saturn gets back into this thread...

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I have the game. Yeah, lots of fanservice. But it's actually not a bad game.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is the game's quality enough to offset the fanservice?

• edited 2013-03-05 11:36:15
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

The fanservice is a positive for the game, so it doesn't matter. You are playing the game for the fanservice, but it has good combat so that is the plus.

Remember who you are talking to here :p

Unlike a LOT of IJBMers, I don't see fanservice as a bad thing, something that has to be tolerated.

• edited 2013-03-05 12:05:04
    There is love everywhere, I already know

(Probably NSFW?)

Is the game's quality enough to offset the fanservice?

Probably not, it looks like it's pretty solid gameplay, not as good as the Naruto fighting games but solid and playable. Then again I'm biased to 2D fighting games (and fighting things made by Namco). The environments aren't exactly great but I think it does handle the character position better than the recent UNS games.

Unlike a LOT of IJBMers, I don't see fanservice as a bad thing, something that has to be tolerated.

I don't like fanservice but if people find something they like (within the bounds of ethics) they should be allowed to spend money on it. Though to be honest the "Panty Lottery" is kinda pushing the "within the bounds of ethics" thing.

Also: I feel like Senran Kagura has some really solid design aspects visually and if it'd just stop with all the fanservice (above my personal limit) I'd've actually liked it since the gameplay is pretty decent.

And it has Transformation Sequences!

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I don't overtly dislike fanservice. It's just about context.  Part of the reason I stopped buying Soul Calibur games, for instance; the gameplay content kept getting reduced while the fanservice content increased. The first game I bought in the series was Soul Calibur 2, which while not light on the fanservice, didn't allow it to overpower the gameplay experience. The revealing clothes and short skirts and whatnot were fine because I was playing a quality game, and the design elements really didn't detract from it, especially given its ridiculous context. I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoyed some of them (although Ivy continues to creep me out). But fanservice became such an overriding factor of the series that I lost interest, because I wanted good fighting games -- when I want pictures of attractive women in various states of undress, there's a whole internet out there. 

• edited 2013-03-05 13:22:53

Okay, going by the trailer, I think I'm going to stay away from this.

Seriously, it would help if media creators are less obnoxiously blatant about fanservice.

• Seriously, it would help if media creators are less obnoxiously blatant about fanservice.

You don't understand. The purpose of those games is fanservice (with, I assume, acceptable enough gameplay), it's doing exactly what it's intended to by its audience.

Whether it's something worth doing and such audience should be pandered to at all is a messy discussion that I don't want to get into, but you're free to ponder about it.

• edited 2013-03-05 15:08:11
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^I remember there was an ad for Soul Calibur V that was just a massive cleavage shot plus the title, with no indication of what sort of game it was or even I think that it was a game at all. I don't know for certain where the line for too much fanservice focus is, but that was over it.
  • edited 2013-03-05 16:11:10

The other thing about Soul Calibur is that the games themselves became shit so if you aren't interested in the fanservice, then, like... there's nothing else to it.  I don't personally think that that Soul Calibur V ad is bad in itself (well at least, not so bad that the game shouldn't exist or anything) but considering that it's going to alienate a lot of people and that Soul Calibur was a pretty well-respected franchise that people played for, you know, its mechanics and the fact that it's a fighting game WITH SWORDS!, it seems like a really stupid decision and it doesn't reflect well on Namco.  Well, there's been fanservice since the beginning of the series.  But of course SCIV made it a lot more prominent and SCV moreso.

Senran Kagura on the other hand has always been pretty clear about what it's about so if people want to play it then good for them (and good for the devs/publishers, too).

• edited 2013-03-05 16:27:03
    Has friends besides tanks now

As far as SCV goes, I'm more disappointed by how much it sucked to play than by the fanservice (which has been a part of the games for as long as I've played them), and the decision to replace half the cast with goofy, less interesting characters didn't help at all. Not that those first two things aren't probably correlated, but still. At least the character creator was kinda cool.

• edited 2013-03-05 18:38:30
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Noimporta hits it exactly. For Senran Kagura, the fanservice is the main draw of the series, has always been, always will be. The creator even said one of the reasons he was excited about having the powerful Vita to work with was so that not only could their be great Jiggle physics in the breasts, but also in the butts.

The fact that the combat is pretty fun is the bonus.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I like at least that they are honest about it, unlike Eidos, who wanted to make a Ryona fetish game and disguised it as Tomb Raider so it would sell.

t. Videogame expert
  • edited 2013-03-05 19:55:42

The creator even said one of the reasons he was excited about having the powerful Vita to work with was so that not only could their be great Jiggle physics in the breasts, but also in the butts.

At least he sounds committed to his craft.

• edited 2013-03-05 23:11:31

nsfw? nsf sanity? nsf reasonable common sense?

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z82/Glenn_Magus_Harvey/reupload/breastsize.jpg (edit: not a link anymore.  It is a "demotivator" mocking the series Eiken.)

(will remove this if people find it objectionable)

• That's disgusting.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

glenn why this

• I've actually seen that picture before.

Kinkajou used to call them "fungal sacs".

• a little muffled

I believe that was a Tzetze coinage originally.

• There's a debilitating and real medical condition like that. It's even more disturbing to look at.
  • edited 2013-03-05 22:03:20
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Oh, yeah, that condition. I believe it's called "gigantomastia" or something like that...

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

lol Eiken