If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• ^^ Yes.  It's not just always-online DRM, but your city is not even stored or updated clientside.

That's why they had to shut down top speed, because the computing is all done serverside.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Maybe it's because I got so used to the Japanese VAs but I don't like Jude at all.

• edited 2013-03-10 07:16:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think English localizers should consider not what the characters say in the Japanese version, but also consider what an English speaker with roughly the same personality would say in the same situation, and whether they would even speak at all.

I agree, but sometimes going against the original leads to things like Anemone in the E7 dub (Original Anemone's voice is way to deep).

• edited 2013-03-10 09:47:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm, she sounds older, and incidentally, so does Dominic.  I wouldn't say way too deep, though it makes her sound more like a 17-year-old than a 14-year-old, or something like that.

Anemone is 17...

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, I think my previous comment is more accurate if you change 17 to 19.

But...she is?

Aren't Renton and Eureka like 14?

Then again it makes sense that Dominic is about 18 since he's already a military officer.  But that still doesn't tell me much about Anemone.

I never really thought much about their ages.

• edited 2013-03-10 12:19:59
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

The other thing is that anime and JRPGs tend to have completely bizarre settings, so while American accents are acceptable, using them to the exclusion of all else is a missed opportunity. For instance, the Amarcians in Tales of Graces F have French naming conventions going on, so giving them (or even just Pascal) French accents would be pretty cool. Or even if that kind of convention isn't in place through the writing, an accent could be creatively chosen to support a character's personality. 

On the other hand, JRPGs are pretty huge localisation projects. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

For instance, the Amarcians in Tales of Graces F have French naming conventions going on, so giving them (or even just Pascal) French accents would be pretty cool.

To be more specific, it's actually names based on French mathematicians. And you should probably spoiler that part. Since, you know, kinda big.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I forgot, since the game is so big and it's so bad at keeping its own plot reveals unpredictable. Like Lambda having infected Richard towards the beginning of the game. The characters themselves catch on only towards the end of the game, but all the information you need is really, really obvious. Likewise Sophie being an artificial human weapon, Malik coming from Fendel and just about every other reveal.

I mean, the game has some great content, but you'll forgive me for forgetting to spoiler a reveal out of absent-mindedness. 

• edited 2013-03-10 12:46:19
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122605-Xi3-Opens-Piston-Steam-Box-Pre-Orders-Starts-at-1-000

Finally! A (non-Valve-made) Steam Box is out, crossing the flexibility of PC gaming with the affordability of...

>starts at $1000
    >has a shitty tiny SSD at that size, so if you play modern AAA games you probably need the $1750 one, which isn't as good as a PC you could get for that price 
    >in fact, you can get all the hardware in it for roughly a third the price of the base system
    >company CEO thinks the selling point of consoles is physical shape rather than affordability

Welp :/

• That being said, we believe there is a crying need for a machine that captures the best of both worlds, with the upgradeability of computer gaming rigs and

Is the upgradablitiy of PCs supposed to be a good thing?  Even though it's one of the main things that prevent people from getting into PC gaming in the first place?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, that's stupid too, but I focused on his opinion on why people buy consoles because it was even dumber.

Like Lambda having infected Richard towards the beginning of the game. The characters themselves catch on only towards the end of the game, but all the information you need is really, really obvious.

I'd argue that. You don't even find out what Lambda is for a decent chunk of the game.

company CEO thinks the selling point of consoles is physical shape rather than affordability

I know that when I got my PS3 it was so I had something to kill rhinos with.

I'd argue that. You don't even find out what Lambda is for a decent chunk of the game.

Not in name, but that there's some kind of other entity at work is made obvious through Richard's characterisation. It's not a stretch to consider that the events towards the beginning of the game had something to do with it. So even if there's not a name for what you're dealing with for quite some time, the pieces are easy enough to put together. 

Also, considering that everyone else who isn't Sophie had a pretty drastic personality shift after the time skip, I can't really blame them for thinking it happened to Richard too.

There's the personality shift, and then there's that

• God dammit, I was actually interested in the Steam Box.  so much for that.

God dammit, I was actually interested in the Steam Box.  so much for that.

The Piston is not the Steam Box. It is a Steam-focused PC developed by Xi3. Valve is still working on the Steam Box.

• Fair enough.

I'm actually kind of worried that this will hurt the real Steam Box.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

WMG: The Steam Box will come in a locked crate; you have to buy a $[price of console] key to open it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233700/discussions/0/864961721991164874/

hahahahhahahhahhahahhahahahahhahahahhahhahahahahhahah

For those who don't want to click: guy bought a game based solely on the title and the category on Steam, finds out it's also a Roguelike after playing it, wants his money back because false advertising.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>steamcommunity

well thars yer problem

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-11 01:31:26

I've mostly had good experiences with Steam Community, but granted my tastes tend to be on the nerdier side.  Closest I've had to running into assholes was a few epic fails bitching at the Blocks That Matter devs for not having a rewind.

Closest I've had to running into assholes was a few epic fails bitching at the Blocks That Matter devs for not having a rewind.

To be fair, it could do with a single block one at the very least.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-11 17:38:20

It does.  The W key.  Blocks don't stick until you place four.

Ys Origin Third Story Nightmare: Not Quite Finale Because Indefinite Hiatus:

So...yeah.  The Devil's Throne boss is insanely fun, and it's hilarious to trivialize Dalles with your ridiculous fire spin, but the True Final Boss is pretty much impossible on my machine.  I could (barely) brute-force him on Normal whilst overleveled from grinding blessings for the achievement, but on Nightmare there's no way it's gonna happen.  Too many elaborate particle effects and that ridiculous blur filter on the entire background to keep up a particularly playable framerate.

It's something I'll come back to when I'm situated with a good desktop.

http://www.destructoid.com/microtransactions-coming-to-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-248467.phtml

Annoyed about how some of the games you already own don't have microtransactions like all the awesome modern games? Activision to the rescue!