If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-01-16 22:18:21
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Fire Emblem. Hector Hard Mode. No deaths, recruit everyone, get everything (aka the only way to play Fire Emblem).

• edited 2013-01-16 22:22:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm already doing no deaths, recruit everyone, steal/win all items, do all sidequests (at least the ones still possible), and use lowest-leveled characters allowed.

And fine, you people just don't like posting five, do you.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-16 22:33:09

As wonderful a game as Fortune Summoners is, it might not be a good one to livestream.  It takes some serious getting used to the combat rhythm, and until you figure it out you get owned pretty hard by like, basic slimes and bats and shit.

Also, Ys Origin Nightmare complete with Yunica.  Good God, Dalles is a cheap bastard.  The homing boulders will randomly start chasing you before they go all the way up and become impossible to dodge, and his last phase just clutters the field with too much shit.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm.  I know I decided against streaming various games (including Ys Origin, in fact, as well as Analogue: a Hate Story, Bunny Must Die, and Adventures of Shuggy) because I don't think that they'll be good for livestreaming.  Also practically every standard JRPG ever.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

It would be cool if we did Let's Plays. Voice and all. I'd be in for that, if we did group or team ones.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-16 22:47:02

If you decide to do one of the Avernum games, I'd advise researching stuff out a little bit into the game -- especially V where two or three early choices will dramatically change the entire flow of the rest of the game.  Also, they didn't do too stellar a job of balancing different specializations so it's really easy to gimp yourself.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

@GMH:

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story*

@Saigyouji: It was for Final Fantasy All The Bravest.

This will be the greatest 3DS sprite JRP- No, it's for iOS.

Okay SE, I get that these things are making tons of money for you but you kiiiiind of promised us some other titles seven plus years ago. Plus the iOS games tend to be... not console games.

The battle system feels fun though, and the story (which the iOS games never really have anyway, see Dimensions) would be awesome if it did try to give you a sense of having this huge ragtag army...

Like Dimensions, I'll buy it, but it's not really something I'd want to continue happening.

• edited 2013-01-17 00:19:47

^Is there an Android version?

Gonna be coming into about 125 bucks in the next few days.

I could use that to get a 3DS, but I REAAALLLLY should wait till I have enough to get a 3DS XL. It's far superior.

• edited 2013-01-17 00:28:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Alternatively:

Dragon Age: Origins

^Is it? I haven't used one, but it seems to me like the main difference is that you have to reach farther to hit the select or start buttons.

• edited 2013-01-17 00:26:39

@Saturn: Not necessarily, the speakers are worse than a plain 3DS and the smaller one fits better if you have small hands like me.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

What game should I livestream later? Pick five of the following choices.

Games I've played before and (more or less) know:
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    Saira
    Recettear*
    Aquaria*
    (repeatedly failing at) Spelunky
    Mega Man ZX
    Fire Emblem VII: the Blazing Sword (a.k.a. Fire Emblem)*
    Summon Night: Swordcraft Story*
    Pokémon Trading Card Game
    a very shitty game of some sort

* Games marked with an asterisk have incomplete save files that I will be continuing.

Games I haven't played before, or don't know well:
    La-Mulana (pro version)
    Eversion (pro version)
    Fortune Summoners
    Avadon: the Black Fortress
    Avernum IV, V, or VI
    War of the Human Tanks
    The Political Machine 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
    Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery
    Home
    Oozi: Earth Adventure
    Mutant Mudds
    Radiant Historia

I don't see Shoot First on here anywhere

although I liked Summon Night. So that I guess.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I could use that to get a 3DS, but I REAAALLLLY should wait till I have enough to get a 3DS XL. It's far superior.

Unless your hands are tiny. Which is why I got the original.

• edited 2013-01-17 05:45:48

My choices for GMH:

Aquaria
    Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (even though I beat it and I'm pretty sure I even had the same character/other character combination as GMH)
    La-Mulana
    Fortune Summoners
    Radiant Historia

I do not have tiny hands.

Also, the battery life, screen resolution for original ds games, the 3D, and the build quality, are all better.

Ill think about it. I might just go for the original.

Instant gratification is one sexy, cruel bitch.
  • Champion of the Whales

GMH:

You need to play LoZ: ALTTP.

• edited 2013-01-17 19:35:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Okay, I have three votes for Summon Night.  So I'm gonna stream that later this evening.  Roughly 11 PM ish, eastern time.  http://www.livestream.com/gmhschannel

Note: I will be starting in the middle of the game.  There may be spoilers.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-17 20:07:51

Playing through the third story on Ys before tackling the other two Nightmares.

The third character might actually be less of a cosmic prick than Hugo despite being explicitly a bad guy.  Also considering starting a "Yunica Owned" count, because I'm not even halfway through and it's already standing out as something to be counted :|

Naturally the "kill X with all three characters" achievements have been rolling in.  I lol'd pretty hard when the achievement picture for Gelaldy was him dancing to "Drop It Like It's Hot".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

http://www.livestream.com/gmhschannel

Gonna start playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story in about ten minutes.

I'm probably gonna be starting shortly after the point at which a certain major character has died, so there may be spoilers.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-18 01:01:25

Huh.  I was afraid Zava was going to be really hard on account of it being VERY unfriendly to melee and the third character having no ranged attacks.  Turns out it was hella easy because his fire ability is hilariously overpowered and blocks everything even longer than Bolt Crash does so he can just charge the giant heads during the second phase, and he's so absurdly fast that there's almost no chance of getting hit by anything that dangerous.

What he's not good at is farming the last room for 800,000 SP for my last blessings.  He can chew through most monsters in the game terrifyingly fast, but those guys in particular resist everything but thunder down to single digits, and his thunder ability just comes out too slow to be much better than spamming attack.

Most of the bosses, I'm expecting trouble on Nightmare.  Most of the duel bosses have really erratic patterns that there's not really any nice way to dodge other than speed boosting away and hoping for the best, and a lot of them pop damaging shields while you're hitting them.  The Guilty Fire midboss has a really overpowered sorta-homing spray that just kinda goes all over the place with no real pattern.  Khonsclard is gonna be a tremendous bitch with no range attack to hit several buds at once, and this guy's fire attack hits even less on one target than Yunica's phoenix spam.  He doesn't really have the offensive punch to blitz Nygtilger's segments that early on, and no range on thunder means you have to risk extreme damage to finish him off.  Hell, even Velagunder might be harder than with Yunica -- at least she had a really good wind attack for the grubs and could hit him while he was sucking.  Pictimos and Zava will probably be easier on account of sheer speed at least.

• They're somethin' else.

Game of the year, guys.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

what am i even looking at

• You can change. You can.

DmC

• My God that UI is hideous.  We grayblocked a better one before the publisher bothered to put an artist on our team.

• You can change. You can.

grayblocked?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Presumably, making a placeholder UI consisting of gray blocks.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-18 01:57:59

Yeah, basically using either colored blocks, prepackaged icons in your engine, or "programmer art".  If you're really lucky, they'll let an actual artist put one or two things together for you to dissect and Frankenstein everything else from until you hit mid-alpha.

• They're somethin' else.

I don't know whats worse. How piss easy the bossfights are, or how padded out the game is by useless platforming and running around.

• edited 2013-01-18 03:11:04
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Given that most of DmC's flat-out panning comes from long-time fans of the old games and that I myself have never played any Devil May Cry games before, is it a good idea to play DmC first and then go for the original series?

Or should I just completely avoid DmC lest I ruin my potential to actually enjoy the franchise whatsoever?

• The more I hear about it the more it sounds like the latter.