If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Apparently they backed off from making it an actual rape after the extremely negative response to the trailer.
  • They're somethin' else.

You know, I actually would have liked them to stand their ground. That original idea isn't all bad. I would have liked to see the idea with the intent of making her more of a fighter because of that rapeyness and less of a victim as most would imply.

• Poot dispenser here

Yeah, PC Gamer was given a demo in which what actually happened was that she got thrown on the ground and shot in the head.

• edited 2013-01-11 18:46:38
    They're somethin' else.

^*flinch*

You know, having googled this more, Crystal Dynamics fucked up by saying "you would want to protect her."

• edited 2013-01-11 20:00:08
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know, I'm about as far from social progress as this forum can get, but I'd rather have her be, in TVT terms, just an Action Girl, than be an Action Girl because lol raep. It's like in fiction you either, like, can't get a woman to act if you don't give her some surprise sex first, or she's already all act and the universe itself wants her stop and settle down in the kitchen by hooking her up with a man stronger than her (surprise sex undertones optional).

That said, I didn't watch that trailer or whatever, so there's a chance I picture it all wrong.

• edited 2013-01-11 19:51:34

You know, I prefer the original Lara backstory, where she was in a plane crash and survived by herself in the Himalayas for two weeks, which gave her a thirst for adventure. No trauma anywhere, no "you'll want to protect her", just a will of iron, an adventurer's spirit and a lot of bullets and cash.

Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest fan of origin stories. Or maybe I just don't really like the new origin story they're developing. Hmm.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-11 20:01:11

It looks like the general idea across the game is just to put her through a fucked-up meat grinder that'll make anyone either a total badass or a total corpse.  Which works in itself, though I'm not sure how much I trust their writers to pull off the kind of honest gravitas they're shooting for.  The rape bit...fits contextually, but on top of being a huge issue that understandably nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole, it also comes down to trying to make her less of a flagrant sex object via more sex and making her less of a fragile lady by making big strong men want to protect her.  Like I said, not sure I trust the writers to do what they're trying to do -- the last thing we need is to turn Lara into another Samus.

And yeah, I prefer the Himalayas thing too, even if Legend wasn't that great.

They were trying to write that with the best intentions, i'm sure. But there's just way too many variables for it to fly by smoothly. Nevermind the entire ryona culture, just the fact that they even said "you would want to protect her" throws salt into the chance they had at making this new Lara Croft a more complex, strong female character (although "Strong Female Character" too, carries some bad connotations as well). "Protecting her" shouldn't have been the goal.

• edited 2013-01-11 23:17:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Why aren't more guys fans of awesome female characters?

/me flips through wallpapers

/me was looking for Éclair, and on the way there, got Fire Emblem's Jill, Idolmaster's Hibiki, Golden Sun's Mia, Castlevania's Shanoa, Mai-HiME's Natsuki, and Nanoha's Teana.

I mean the whole thing regarding "Strong Female Character vs. Strong character"

Ideally, you should be writing the latter, regardless of gender, race, .

• You can change. You can.

Oh hey, Telltale Games is doing a Fables game. Not sure if excited.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm giving Dark Souls another shot. Just killed the Taurus Demon on the first shot.

Aw yeh.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-12 00:08:52

/me was looking for Éclair, and on the way there, got Fire Emblem's Jill, Idolmaster's Hibiki, Golden Sun's Mia, Castlevania's Shanoa, Mai-HiME's Natsuki, and Nanoha's Teana.

And speaking of my recent Ys run, liking Yunica.  All of Hugo's badass, none of his jackass.

On the last two bosses.  I remember Kishgal being a tremendous pussy as fourth-to-last boss with Hugo, but as penultimate with Yunica he's kind of ridiculous.  Funniest thing is even as hard as he is, none of the Demonic Core bosses hit as hard as the trash mobs leading up to them.  Kishgal and Zava hit for like 25-40 on their big attacks, and the armored knights guarding the last checkpoint can do a two-hit combo that nails you for well over 150.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So yeah, a little rant about Resident Evil 6.

• edited 2013-01-12 19:59:51
    Champion of the Whales

Interplay are going to release Project V13 as a post-apolyia MMO set in Seattle that totally wasn't supposed to be Fallout Online set in Seattle.

And they going to do it by using crowd source to create an alpha so they can get more money from investors to make the game

• edited 2013-01-12 20:03:54
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

>"apolyia".

Anyway does anyone here play Shoot First or at least know of it? I've recently gotten into it and it's really fun even if the graphics are Commodore level.

• I downloaded the Thrawn's Revenge: Imperial Civil War mod for Empire at War: Forces of Corruption yesterday. It's really quite enjoyable, especially with the massive graphical overhaul that's been done.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-01-15 00:01:03

Yunica Nightmare, on the final boss.

OW.

OW OW OW.  Too much shit flying around.  The fire attack is too dense to dodge reliably, the homing boulders will randomly hit you anyway, and if you don't land phoenixes on his guns fast enough in the last phase you can't burst through his laser and you're just fucked.  I've gotten him down to 1/3 of his last HP bar and the end is in sight, but OW.

On the upshot, I did the boss rush on Hard with Hugo after putting myself through this hell and I was like "heehee y'all's pussies :3" and shot them in the face a lot while laughing from behind the shield I'm used to not having.

• But you never had any to begin with.

New teaser site from Squeenix.

Probably just an iOS port of FFVI, but we'll see.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Started playing Guild Wars 2. Really enjoying it.

On the plus side, it's far more indicative of the game than the trailer for the first one was.

• Gotta wonder how that marketing meeting that created this went.

• “make a striking conversation piece on any discerning zombie gamer’s mantel.”

If by "striking" you mean "deserve to literally get punched in the face by most of the world's population", yes.

Well...in fairness, I can believe that someone seeing it on your mantel would have some things to say about it.

• edited 2013-01-15 16:10:43
    You can change. You can.

^^ is that a pun and if so may i see your punning license son

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Why would you put any video game on a mantle? Ever? It would just look tacky.

-so says the guy with a skull wearing a Guy Fawks mask on his bookshelf-
  • ^^ We don't need licenses for that here!  USA!  USA!

• You can change. You can.

right

how much alcohol did you consume before you thought punning on a street area was a good idea