If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Winter Sale 2012

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Games whose super sale prices I've missed:

* Elder Scrolls III/IV

* Tropico 4

Hmm...

...imokaywiththis.jpg

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

> being okay with missing out on Morrowind

:|

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The one time I tried Morrowind, it was... 

Well, there was a certain lack of direction. That's not a particularly bad thing in the long run, but I don't find that the game directs you well to begin with and a lot of its systems are pretty arcane (if you'll excuse the pun). Between the way combat is real-time and dice-based, and the way magic is so extensive, there's a lot to wrap your head around with little assistance. 

I can definitely see how Morrowind is beloved amongst TES fans and lorehounds in general, but I don't think either it or Oblivion count as "must-plays" as much as they used to. 

• edited 2012-12-27 14:41:32
    Champion of the Whales

Does it matter that it doesn't include the DLC at all?

No

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, there was a certain lack of direction. That's not a particularly bad thing in the long run, but I don't find that the game directs you well to begin with and a lot of its systems are pretty arcane (if you'll excuse the pun). Between the way combat is real-time and dice-based, and the way magic is so extensive, there's a lot to wrap your head around with little assistance. 

Yeah, it sucks at direction. Including pointing you at one quest at the start of the game that you are not at all equipped to deal with.

However, the game's setting, lore, and all that junk, is among the best ever. It's not a must-play, but then, neither is any game.

also whale stop breaking everything :|

HOLY FUCK what just happened

Whale did you accidentally the entire webpage into your post

• It's pretty easy to see how that would have happened.

• Champion of the Whales

HOLY FUCK what just happened

Whale did you accidentally the entire webpage into your post

Yeah because I wasn't paying attention.

• edited 2012-12-27 11:55:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm gonna have to call in the big guns to fix this because I can't just edit your post.  Since if I edit it, I instead get to edit all the individual posts inside your post.  By big guns I mean Unknown_Entity.

Also, you get an Xzibit award.

(I don't mean to make you feel bad about this.  I'm actually highly amused at this turn of events.)

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    > YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN IT'S A SHOOTER :P

Well, semantics aside, my main point is that the game is designed under the assumption that the player won't find the gameplay fun, so not liking shooters might not be as much of a dealbreaker as you'd think.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Found a deal where you can get a coupon for 66.6% off Painkiller: Hell and Damnation on top of any Steam discounts.

Only problem is that you have to sign up for some Alienware Arena thing, but that's what throwaway emails are for.

• Well, semantics aside, my main point is that the game is designed under the assumption that the player won't find the gameplay fun

Eh, I wouldn't say so. At the very least, the dissonance the game tries to create and point out works much better when you actually are having fun with the gameplay.

Personally, I like third person shooters, but hey.

Daily Deals for December 27th, 2012:

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown 33% off

• FTL: Faster Than Light 50% off

• Counter Strike Franchise 50-75% off

• Worms Franchise 50% off

• LEGO Lord of the Rings 33% off

• L.A. Noire 75% off

Flash Sales:

• ACDSee 15 50% off

• Serious Sam 3: BFE 75% off

• Alice: Madness Returns 75% off

• Sleeping Dogs 66% off

• Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Collection 75% off

• Thirty Flights of Loving 50% off

• edited 2012-12-27 14:20:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Come on, Carpe Fulgur, discount your stuff -75% so I can throw money at you!

Also, on the CF forums, someone pointed out a recently-released small little game by EasyGameStation (the creators of Chantelise and Recettear), which EGS commented was released because they wanted to re-experience the feel of releasing something, while working on their much larger project Territoire.  SpaceDrake said it was a possibility that they'd also localize that.

FTL get.

Is Inside a Star-Filled Sky worth getting, for $2?

Never heard of it.

Therefore it is not.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

fixed.

On-topic: I haven't bought anything this time. Almost considered getting super meat boy last night since it was a 75% off flash deal and I like self-torture with hard platformers, but I ended up not getting it.

• Champion of the Whales

What is FTL like?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Super Meat Boy's not difficult at all. It's pretty easy.

• I got Spec Ops.

Ten bucks.

Wow.

• Well, I broke down and got Spec Ops too.

• edited 2012-12-27 21:01:30
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

As did I. Might as well try it out to see just how different it is from some of the other FPSes I've played over the years...

Speaking of which, have any of the Far Cry games been on sale at any point?

What is FTL like?

Spaceship commanding roguelike. Played the tutorial and it appears to be fucking awesome.

• edited 2012-12-28 11:15:09
    a little muffled

There's only like 15 minutes left but everyone please vote for Civ V plxkthx

Edit: Also, bought Giana Sisters because Machinae Supremacy fanboy. It was $5.09 on flash sale...given my pattern there will be another sale where it's cheaper by the time I actually get to playing it, but eh. No I didn't, no money in my PayPal. Balls.

Edit 2: Yess Civ V won here's hoping that includes DLC then (it usually does right?). Have to borrow a credit card or something.

Edit 3: Nope, G&K is not any more on sale than it was before. Booo....

Painkiller H&D is a daily deal, effing finally.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

^^ Gods and Kings is 75% off, as is the vanilla game/GOTY edition. I might actually go for it, crappy laptop be damned. (Although I wouldn't have enough left for FTL, so hesitation.)

• edited 2012-12-28 13:27:58
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Daily Deals for December 28th, 2012:

• Prototype Franchise 50-75% off

• Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion 66% off

• Just Cause 2 75% off

• Assassin's Creed Franchise 25-75% off

• Left 4 Dead Franchise 75% off

• Limbo 75% off

Flash Sales:

• Saints Row the Third 75% off

• Miner Wars 2081 75% off

• Painkiller: Hell & Damnation 50% off

• Stronghold 3 Gold 75% off

• Prince of Persia Franchise 75% off

• Call of Duty Franchise 50% off

• Civilization V 75% off

Assassin's Creed Franchise 25-75% off

More accurately 0-75% off. They aren't discounting III at all.

• edited 2012-12-28 13:41:48
    a little muffled

@Blueeyedrat:

Gods and Kings is 75% off, as is the vanilla game/GOTY edition. I might actually go for it, crappy laptop be damned. (Although I wouldn't have enough left for FTL, so hesitation.)
    What? When I checked before it was only vanilla that was 75% off and everything else was 50% as it has been all sale. Okay, I guess I'll have to find some way to buy G&K then...

Thanks for pointing that out.