If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Winter Sale 2012

edited 2012-12-20 11:49:52 in Media
Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's the big one folks. Let's get this started.

Q. What is this?

Steam's annual Holiday sale, and usually their biggest sale of the year. Expect 2 weeks of heavy discounts on LOTS of games.

Q. When does it run?

From December 20th to January 2nd most likely.

Q. Any promotions or ARGs?

Nope. Just Flash Sales, short deals that expire every 8 hours or so, which were in the previous two Steam sales.

Q. What about other sites?

GoG.com is currently doing an "End of the World" sale that rivals Steam in terms of variety and savings.

Green Man Gaming has a flat 30% off anything, on top of any other discounts, until January 3rd, 2013 if you enter this code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831.

Other deals will be posted as I come across them.

FIVE COMMANDMENTS OF STEAM SALES

1. Thou shalt ONLY buy daily and flash deals except on the final day.
2. Thou shalt buy other games on sale ONLY on the final day of the sale.
3. Thou shalt join others in buying 4-packs for extra savings whenever possible.
4. Thou shalt budget spending by filling a Steam Wallet prior to the sale.
5. Thou shalt fail at following Commandment 4 anyway.

Comments

• edited 2012-12-20 13:46:35

Daily Deals for December 20th, 2012:

• Borderlands Franchise 50~75% off

• Wargame: European Escalation 75% off

• Hitman Franchise 50~75% off

• Mirror's Edge 75% off

• Scribblenauts Unlimited 33% off

• Prince of Persia Franchise 75% off

Flash Sales:

• Batman: Arkham City GOTY 75% off

• Operation Flashpoint: Red River 75% off

• Natural Selection II 60% off

• Fable III 50% off

• Intrusion 2 66% off

• War of the Roses 50% off

• edited 2012-12-20 12:13:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Isn't there a commandment saying that thou shalt check the various bundles to see if they have the game thou want?

Also, a clarification about GOG: Every day they have a new big sale on a select bundle of titles, usually discounted to -75%.  It's just that one day ago they had a whole TON of said bundles, in celebration of the alleged impending apocalypse.  They're still having one a day right now.

Furthermore, most of the titles in their store have been discounted -50% anyway during this sales event.

• edited 2012-12-20 17:53:55

I should probably post the contents of each bundle I know of:

Bundle In A Box - Eclectic Delights - Shadows on the Vatican Act:I, Delve Deeper! (+DLC), War of the Human Tanks, Eversion, Fibrilation, Droidscape: Basilica OST (music), Sound of the Human Tanks (music), The Adventures of Shuggy Comic (graphic story), The Adventures of Shuggy OST (music), Shadows on the Vatican OST (music).  BTA: The Adventures of Shuggy, Stay Dead, The 4th Well, Fibble, Skylight, Shadows on the Vatican Act:II (preorder).  Time left: just over 1 day.

Groupees - Build a Greenlight Bundle - "Beware Planet Earth!", Millennium: a New Hope, Recruits, Private Infiltrator, Wooden Sen'Sey, Eryi's Action, Salvation Prophecy, I Shall Remain, Oozi: Earth Adventure, La-Mulana, La-Mulana OST (music), [Loners] (music), The End Is Only the Beginning (music), It's a Chiptune Holiday! (music).  Time left: over 10 days.  NOTE: If these games get on Steam, you will get Steam keys; all you have to do is upvote the game on Steam Greenlight.

Humble Bundle - The Humble Indie Bundle 7 - Snapshot, Closure, The Binding of Isaac (+ Wrath of the Lamb DLC), Shank 2, Indie Game: the Movie (a movie), and their soundtracks.  BTA: Legend of Grimrock, Dungeon Defenders (+DLC), and their soundtracks.  Time left: over 13 days.

Indie Gala - not currently active

Indie Royale - The Xmas Bundle 2.0 - Colour Blind, Offspring Fling!, Serious Sam Double D, Serious Sam: the Random Encounter, Puzzle Bots, Little Kingdom, Namiko (a Kyle Pulver game debuting here).  Pay $8 and also get the album Rhythm'n'Bits by Yoann Turpin.  Time left: over 4 days.

Little Big Bunch - Little Big Bunch 2 - choose 5 of the following for $10: Dark Scavenger, Archon Classic, Disciples II: Rise of the Elves Gold, Grotesque Tactics, Space Colony HD, Serious Sam: the Random Encounter, Tofy 1 & 2 Bundle, Trouble with Robots, Unstoppable Gorg, Worms Reloaded.  Time left: over 11 days.

Note: BTA = "beat the average" for a pay-what-you-want bundle.

Useful sites for tracking bundles: (warning: may be out of date)

http://www.indiekings.com/p/bundle-tracker.html

http://www.indiegamebundles.com/

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hm.

Thus far, this sale is a good deal less interesting than the fall one.

Voted on Monkey Island for the next sale because Braid and Limbo are both...not outright bad, but only slightly above average.

So...I'm almost certainly going to hate Borderlands, but I'm considering getting it anyway just to see what all the fuss is about.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Gonna wait until I see The Secret World get higher than -25% off. If it doesn't get any better, I'll buy it on the 5th.

So, since today wasn't especially exciting and I got paid yesterday, I bought some games that were on my radar but not high priorities:

• Borderlands

• Fable

• Hitman Collection

• Mirror's Edge

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Borderlands 1 or 2?

1. Don't want to spend much money on a game I probably won't like.

Don't want to spend much money on a game I probably won't like.

So you bought Fable? :3

• edited 2012-12-20 14:35:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah. Same rule applies, though I have slightly higher hopes for it than for Borderlands.

• a little muffled
    Someone post if Gods & Kings goes up on flash sale. Since I seem to have become addicted to Civ V again I may as well get it cheap if I can.

Hmmm...Might get Scribblenauts...

• edited 2012-12-20 15:01:15
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno. I had fun with Borderlands 1 but I got bored with it fairly quick. I've got like 21 hours in 2 at the moment, and it's way, way, way, way better in just about every way.

Handsome Jack alone makes it great. He's like the best game villain since GLaDOS.
  • edited 2012-12-20 15:01:28

I might buy Mirror's Edge if not for the fact that it's likely a game my computer can't run and also an EA game.  As it currently is, I just crawl SteamGifts entering giveaways for it.

I voted for LIMBO because it's the only thing on my wishlist in there.  Could potentially get more SG giveaways popping up if it wins.

I voted for Limbo as well.

Hmmm, I might break the 1st commandment.

LIMBO...Again, I wouldn't call it bad, but I'm not sure I got my money's worth out of it, even given that I bought it on sale.

• edited 2012-12-20 15:39:54

That's why I'm not going to buy it myself, and I'll just deviously leave it in my wishlist.

Speaking of wishlist, I'm thinking of creating an alt account with its own wishlist as a price tracker--a convenient way to keep track of prices of all the games whose prices I might be interested in.  Anyone got anything to add to this list?:

Spoiler:
    Recettear
    Fortune Summoners
    Chantelise
    Fairy Bloom Freesia
    Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
    Ys: the Oath in Felghana
    Ys Origin

Gundemonium Recollection
    HitogataHappa
    GundeadliGne
    eXceed
    eXceed 2nd
    eXceed 3rd

Mirror's Edge
    Dark Souls
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Elder Scrolls III
    Elder Scrolls IV
    Elder Scrolls V

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    Terraria
    A Valley Without Wind
    Aquaria
    Saira
    Nightsky
    ARES
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    Pineapple Smash Crew
    Rochard
    Dustforce
    Blade Kitten
    Portal
    Portal 2

Really Big Sky
    Jamestown
    Rock of Ages
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Avadon: the Black Fortress
    Avernum: the Great Trials Trilogy
    Avernum: Escape from the Pit
    Torchlight
    Torchlight II

Sanctum
    Dungeon Defenders
    Magicka

Fate of the World
    Eufloria
    Symphony
    BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    BIT.TRIP BEAT
    BIT.TRIP something
    BIT.TRIP somethingelse
    Snuggle Truck
    Wizorb
    Osmos
    Magnetis
    Turba
    Fortix

Farming Simulator [whatever number]
    Farming Simulator [another number]
    Forklift Simulator [another number]
    [something else] Simulator [another number]

RPG Maker VX Ace
    You Need a Budget 4

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Why do you need an alt account to do that? Why not just use Steam Prices or Cheap Shark?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Alt account needed because Steam removes games you have from your wishlist.  Most of the time.

What's Cheap Shark?

And does Steam Prices let me keep a faves list to pull up anytime?  That said we could use this list as a community resource if other people want to add stuff to it too.

Also I could idle on an alt account for more TF2 items.  Or whatever.

• I voted for Monkey Island on the basis that I own the other two.

• a little muffled

I voted for Monkey Island on the basis that I actually kinda want to play it even though I doubt I'll buy it due to Steam Guilt.

• edited 2012-12-21 10:35:56

Playism is giving out coupons (typically 50% off) for just completing little 3x3 slider puzzles.  Games discounted include Half-Minute Hero (Steam key), Inside a Star-Filled Sky (DRM-free), La-Mulana (DRM-free), Symphony, and others!

(Alternatively I could just give you the codes if you don't feel like doing the slider puzzles that take like a minute each.) Here they are:

Spoiler:
    50% off machinarium 519machi
    50% off La-Mulana lamuL1224
    50% off Inside a Star-Filled Sky hoshikana782
    50% off Half Minute Hero haif30hero25
    15% off whole cart playismholidays
    20% off The Network, Symphony, HyperSpace Invader Zero, SONAR, Dear Esther, SpaceChem 703maschi (NanoSmiles puzzle)
    50% off Star Sky moon58134
    25% off Super Chain Crusher Horizon superhOlidays
    50% off LightFish lightbum
    50% off And Yet It Moves soredemo7354
    50% off Sugar Cube cUBE457su
    50% off Mobiloid mobi61d
    20% off Eufloria, Totem Destroyer Deluxe, Tiny Bang Story, Botanicula, I'm Gonna Be God of the Forest, Lume, Colorpus ptomodachi29 (Pock's Friend puzzle)
    50% off Neo Aquarium aQua893s
    50% off Fotonica fOtni25

Yes, that means Half-Minute Hero for $4.99 rather than $5.99 (its current price on Steam).

Also, thinking of buying up a couple more Bundle in a Box Eclectic Bundles because they're pretty cheap and they have Eversion and War of the Human Tanks and The Adventures of Shuggy.

^I'll hold off for now, in case Steam comes up with a steeper discount later.

Daily Deals for December 21st, 2013:

• Dishonored 50% off

• Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition 75% off

• Darksiders Franchise 66-75% off

• Tom Clancy's Franchise 31-75% off

• Psychonauts 75% off

• F.E.A.R. Franchise 75% off

Flash Sales:

• I Am Alive 66% off

• AirMech Steam Starter Pack 75% off

• Farming Simulator 2013 50% off

• Orcs Must Die! Franchise 75% off

• Torchlight Franchhise 50-75% off

• Divinity Anthology 50% off

Got the original F.E.A.R.

Same deal with that as with Torchlight and Fable. Low expectations, but apparently worth checking out.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, for once, I went on a Steam spending spree. Limit, $100 Steambux:

• Bastion

• Analogue: A Hate Story

• The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 

• The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (didn't own either of these myself; my brother did)

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution (again, for the sake of having my own copy)

• Jade Empire (a BioWare golden-ager I missed out on)

• Ys Origin

• Ys Oath in Felghana

• The Walking Dead Full Season

• Fable - The Lost Chapters (for old times' sake)

Huh, in retrospect, a fair amount of stuff I had already played. It'll be good to have it contained, though, plus I've got some interesting new experiences ahead of me. 

• edited 2012-12-21 14:22:52

Jade Empire (a BioWare golden-ager I missed out on)

Be careful with this one if you're running Windows 7. My friend could only get it running after a lot of brouhaha, and I couldn't get it to work at all.

Also, you could have saved yourself a lot of money if you had followed the 1st Commandment. >:(

• a little muffled
    Oops, missed out on Monkey Island. I was actually going to buy that. Oh well.

Dammit Gods & Kings go on sale already I'm bored.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ I am weak.