If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-10-08 00:20:27
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay.

Just got into a stupid triple battle, and the end result is that due to a combination of a Liepard and a Swoobat, my Musharna is now dead. :(

I have a few Pokemon I can add to my team, but I don't know which one I should add. Which of the following should I add to my team now:

Vanillite, Klink, Ferroblast, Tranquill, a Level 9 Purrloin, Trubbish, or Swadloon?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Add a Litwick to that, even.

• a little muffled
    Litwick imo
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

ACQUIRE LITWICK 

Basically, most martial arts have no solutions for bird attacks.

Fuk Duk Fu does. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Litwick imo

The only issue I'm having is that I already have a Darmanitan, which is a very much superior Fire-type.

I have a Servine, a Simipour, an Archen, a Darmanitan, and a Patrat I keep around for Cut.

So I don't know if Litwick would actually cover any weaknesses on my team.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Well that is all true.

But have you considered the fact that it's a Litwick? 

I considered that, then ultimately discarded it as meaningless.

• No rainbow star

Alex, I get why flying types resist fighting. Not why they hit fighting for super effective

• a little muffled
    "The only issue I'm having is that I already have a Darmanitan, which is a very much superior Fire-type."

I'd say Chandelier and Darmanitan are pretty comparable. Just physical vs special really.
  • No rainbow star

^ Although Chandelure has the bonus of a ghost typing

• edited 2012-10-08 02:56:45
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd say Chandelier and Darmanitan are pretty comparable. Just physical vs special really.

Darmanitan has Sheer Force, which provides a 30% power boost to any attacks with a secondary effect, such as burning the opponent, at the cost of not applying the secondary effect.

So while Chandelure has Flame Burst (70 Power, 100 Accuracy), Hex (50 Power, 100 Accuracy), Inferno (100 Power, 50 Accuracy) or Overheat (140 Power, 90 Accuracy, lowers Special Attack two stages after use), and Shadow Ball (80 power, 100 Accuracy), Darmanitan has Fire Punch (75 Power, 100 Accuracy, boosted by 30%), Flare Blitz (120 Power, 100 Accuracy, recoil damage, boosted by 30%), Hammer Arm (100 Power, no STAB, 90 Accuracy), and Superpower (120 Power, 100 Accuracy, lower's user's Attack and Defence one stage, no STAB).

They're equal in terms of moveset and stats, with Chandelure having generally weaker moves but STAB on all of them to make up on it, and Darmanitan having generally stronger moves but no STAB on his fighting-type moves, but Darmanitan's Sheer Force ability makes for a stronger Fire-type Pokemon in the end.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Uh, Overheat is a 140 base power attack that sharply drops special attack after it hits, not a 140 base power Fire-Type Thrash attack

Fucking hell. I mixed it up with Outrage again; I have a habit of doing that. Sorry.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Between mixing Overheat up with Outrage and thinking Ground is weak to Flying, I wonder if you even play the games :P

Hey, I was a kid when I decided that Flying beat Ground. There was a perfectly valid chain of logic there.

And Overheat looks very similar to Outrage to a kid, and Outrage's visual effect is to shake and shoot rings of fire. It's Dragon-type, but it looks Fire-type. It's an easy mistake to make if you haven't actually seen anyone use Overheat or Outrage since you last played Emerald.

• a little muffled

@Nova: Right, but Chandelure has actual defences and a secondary STAB.

Chandelure also has jack shit HP to make up for those defences, and a weakness to Dark-type attacks, which every Pokemon and its mother has nowadays.

Take Chandelure anywhere and there's Pursuit abusers here, Crunch abusers there. No way, man; that was bad enough when I had a Musharna, who could actually take those attacks.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The three Thief games are discounted for another hour or so -75% on Steam.

Are the Steam versions of Thief 1 and 2 natively compatible with Windows 7?  So far, I've heard no.

But then, are the DRM-free GOG versions of Thief 1 and 2, complete with their bonuses, natively compatible with Win7?

I've heard suggestions both ways but it seems more likely no than yes, unfortunately.

Should I get them on Steam?  Or should I just get the third Thief game on Steam?  Or none of them, for that matter, owing to my huge backlog?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

It really depends on your preference for physical or special attackers. The two do play slightly differently though, as Darmanitan is a glass cannon that is somewhat fast and can make a dent in an opponents team, while Chandelure encourages a slightly more defensive playstyle, but can become a full blown sweeper if not careful. Those Calm Minds can really help out.

Got Bad Piggies for my Android. Man, this is actually fun. I'm reminded of Banjo Kazooie Nuts And Bolts, and I loved that game. (Even though I do think it was a shitty Banjo game.)

• edited 2012-10-08 03:41:55

The two do play slightly differently though, as Darmanitan is a glass cannon that is somewhat fast and can make a dent in an opponents team, while Chandelure encourages a slightly more defensive playstyle, but can become a full blown sweeper if not careful.

The issue is, when playing a Nuzlocke, you don't need a somewhat decent defensive Pokemon. You need Pokemon who are at either end of the spectrum- great defenders, great supporters, or great attackers- because if you settle for a decent Pokemon, someone's going to wipe the floor with you eventually.

Darmanitan is a very offense-oriented Pokemon. With moves like Hammer Fist, Flare Blitz and Fire Punch, a stat-support move in Belly Drum, and Sheer Force as an ability, Darmanitan has the power to fight off almost any Pokemon. Rock-types can be dealt with with Hammer Fist, although it's not such a great idea and you should swap out. You should definitely swap out against Water-types and such, too.

Chandelure just doesn't make for a great enough defensive Pokemon to be worth sacrificing a spot for when there's so many downsides to having them as a defensive Pokemon, while Darmanitan has enough upsides to be worth taking him along despite the risks.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Nuzlocke? Eh, not really a fan of those.

Still, you got to be careful with Darmanitan. It's a glass cannon, it's defenses are frail. Which is made worse if it uses Flare Blitz, shortening it's lifespan even more.

And Belly Drum cuts its HP in half in order to boost its Attack to max. Yeah, a lot of Darmanitan's strength is risky.

The challenge is just in learning when and where it's worth risking Darmanitan, because when you let Darmanitan loose, if you manage to keep him alive, he can tear through almost any team in the game.

Currently, I have a Level 46 Darmanitan backed up by a Level 45 Archeops and a Level 45 Serperior. Darmanitan is a very heavy hitter, and carried me through Skyla's Gym, most of the random trainer fights between Nimbasa and the city I'm in now (The one with the Ice Gym), as well as annihilating most of N's team in Chargestone, most of Bianca's team when we fought, and most of Cheren's team.

Archeops is a really great sweeper for the rest, as she has 148 Attack, 126 Speed, knows Acrobatics (110 Base Power when not holding an item, STAB, and 100 Accuracy), Fly, AncientPower (60 Power, 100 Accuracy, and a chance to raise all her stats at one), and Crunch (80 Power, 100 Accuracy, and a chance to lower the opponent's Defence stat), all of which has carried me through the Elite Four and N before in previous runs. I have to be careful with Archeops, though, due to Defeatist eliminating his usefulness if he drops below half health. Serperior has the worst stats of them all, but has a respectable 86 Attack, 100 Defence, 131 HP, and 117 Speed, allowing him to survive against all but super-effective enemies, and wear them down through Giga Drain and Leaf Blade.

• Assassin's Creed III can't come soon enough.

• edited 2012-10-08 11:32:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I thought that myself, then I tried to play Revelations, and then I only kind of wanted III, then they announced that III is getting annual sequels, and now I'm really just kind of wishing they'd quit making AC games entirely.

• I'm optimistic given what we've seen of AC III.

Also, entire cities in WoW got killed by hackers. It's so beautiful.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, mechanically, Revelations was the best of the series; it's just that they seem to have entirely forgotten how to tell a story :/

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Eh cautiously optimistic. The change in cast and setting will let them shake off the baggage that kept the series going. And pissing and moaning about serialized stuff fucking up and asinine production choices is a good way to bum one out over stuff that hasn't even happened yet.

Yeah, I'll probably still wind up getting it if it comes out and people tell me it's better. It's just that my attempts to play through Revelations were really disappointing.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ys Origins or Recettear?

Recettear.