If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah.

Though I don't think that's DC's logic, otherwise the main character would have a creepy stalker who the narrative treats as a legitimate love interest.

Amazing Spider-Man #680-681: Nice prelude to a pretty awesome-looking story. Good in its own right, but the main goal is to get me excited about Ends of the Earth, and it did.

Gotham Central #1-2: Very interesting premise for a series, and I like the characters. Not a fan of the art, but it's not a huge problem since everything else is great. Overall, great example of how to tell a non-superhero story in a superhero universe.
  • Did any one else hear that Amazing Spider-Man is going to end on issue 700? And that the biggest rumor right now is that the Marvel NOW relaunch is going for it is going to feature Spidey being attached to Doc Ock's metal arms?

• edited 2012-09-25 06:12:07
    Probably won't last. But interesting enough.
  • You can change. You can.

I know I've said this before, but Gotham Central might just be on the top ten series DC has ever published and a heavy candidate for number one fave comic of mine that isn't called Justice League International/Europe.

^^That...sounds remarkably stupid.

Wasn't the point of the relaunch thing to make an iconic start that will seem more approachable to new readers, rather than...well, that?

New Teen Titans 11-12: So the female Titans take Beast Boy to Paradise Island to save his life while the guys go off to do...something else. I forget. But anyway, while they're there, they find themselves facing the awakening of the actual Greek Titans. Heh, clever. Anyway, there's a big fight philosophical debate that solves matters amicably. Huh. You don't see that ending a lot.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It's also to bait the speculator's market with shiny new number ones and even in a saturated market, something that says 'Spider-man #1' will be worth something.

• edited 2012-09-25 22:41:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, but if the whole audience-broadening marketing stunt is aimed at people who already read comics, something has gone wrong.

Gotham Central #3-5: Good pair of mysteries. I can't say I expected that outcome. 

Spoiler:
    I know making the two cases be the same is a really standard thing to do in this sort of thing, but the fact that one was presented as a supervillain case and the other wasn't made that seem unlikely. I actually thought the girl's dad was the killer, given that he didn't seem to know her very well.

I do hope some of the future cases will actually be unrelated to superstuff, though.

Anyway, the last bit kind of demonstrated why the Gotham police don't actually like Batman very much, which I thought was neat.

• edited 2012-09-25 23:12:39
    You can change. You can.

Well, it works both ways. A number one issue baits both people who might be interested in the character but who get all scared about reading because the number 693 is there and people who like to collect them and keep them to sell them later a la Action Comics #1

Honestly, I feel that people are over-rating how much of a big deal it is to reset the numbering on a comic. While I'm not a big fan of the implication that Dan Slott might leave his post as Spider-Man writer, the fact is that stories don't get lousier or better because of the numbering on the cover. And really, Marvel NOW's list is pretty much keeping the same radio of good/bad titles so far. (Skeevy bullshit aside, like motherfucking Avengers Arena)

• edited 2012-09-25 23:17:32

Well, it works both ways. A number one issue baits both people who might be interested in the character but who get all scared about reading because the number 693

Yeah, but if they see Spider-Man on the cover wearing Doc Ock's metal arms, then they might get scared about reading because it's really, really obviously got some weird continuity stuff going.

Of course, that's assuming the rumor is true. I hope not; it sounds kind of stupid.

Gotham Central #6-10: Damn. Well, Juan, now I know what you meant about this being one of the best things DC has ever released.

Anyone who hasn't read this? Read this.

Gotham Central #11: Nice mini-story that covers a variety of things, including some non-supervillain crime. Quite good.

Gotham Central #12-15: Really, really good. I'd say more, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

So, my last few posts, in brief: I have read almost half of Gotham Central today. Enough said.

Gotham Central #16-18: Not the best story in the series so far, but still quite solid.

Anyway, I should probably sleep now, lest I feed my addiction even more.

• I'm a damn twisted person

It's okay. It's not like you read 100+ issues of a comic in one sitting or something.

<_<

>_>

Only because I can't afford to.

Well, there's that Spider-Man who had metal arms back in the clone saga. But he's dead and nobody cares about him (Even though he was in Ellis' Thundabolts' arc, which makes him awesome by default)

Also, I love how everyone comes out of Soft Targets unable to elaborate on it. It's a really great story with a very simple premise that works because we see it from a perspective that isn't Batman's. 

• edited 2012-09-26 07:12:29

Spider-Man stuff: it kind of works, the whole Spider-Ock thing, Otto Octavius is dying and this would be his last great hurrah; destroying Spider-Man's secret identity as well as leaving him with a constant reminder of the good Doctor.

Also, does anyone know how Spider-Men turned out? I didn't read it cause HAHAHAHA. No.

Spider-Men is pretty good, actually. I don't see what's particularly troublesome about it.

• I don't like the idea of the Ultimate Universe crossing over with the 616. It's supposed to be it's own thing.

• They did say that if it happened, they would finally have run out of ideas.

Considering that Avengers Arena is coming, that prophecy has merit.

Eh, it seems to be non-canon in the first place and mostly there for the what if kookiness. With that said, it's very possible it set up a precedent for future crossovers. But truth be told, the standards Marvel made for its Ultimate line were bullshit and most of the story they told with it were bullshit. The fact that a company realized this instead of just trying to make it work and failing more is a refreshing change of pace.

• edited 2012-09-26 15:29:43

Anyone have any word on whether Talon is worth bothering with? Because it's a Batmanish book with Snyder writing, which seems to be a good sign.

• edited 2012-09-26 16:15:00
    I'm a damn twisted person

Batman Inc #0 - tolerable but telling us all stuff we already know, if we've been following Morrison's run on Batman stuff. Kinda annoyed that Batgirl and Blackbat aren't listed as part of Batman Inc, but eh, apparently Steph and Cass still don't exist for reasons.

But in others news, DC puts out a book about a one of the owl mooks that showed up in Batman a while ago. The heck guys?

Spider-man, Thor, and Iron Man were pretty boss this week, although at this point I have to wonder "Did the Mandarin ever have a plan beyond wreck shit and try to ruin Tony Stark?" Thor and Iron Man felt a bit rushed though probably to catch up with Marvel's Marvel NOW! plans. Happy is a hoot, but it doesn't get good until the last few pages. And in American Vampire, Hattie is back! I knew Snyder was going to bring her back eventually.

But in others news, DC puts out a book about a one of the owl mooks that showed up in Batman a while ago. The heck guys?

Apparently, he's the REBEL guy with REBELLION powers of REBELLION

also new articles at A Panel About Panels, yadda yadda yadda

Apparently, he's the REBEL guy with REBELLION powers of REBELLION

Then why don't they give me the Mister Miracle miniseries I want then?

because you want it

DC doesn't give us shit we want, man

only the shit we need.

I was pretty skeptical about the series, but it's Snyder writing about the Court of Owls, so I really don't know whether I can expect it to be bad.

• edited 2012-09-26 23:29:08

Captain Marvel #4: I'm probably sounding like a broken record regarding this series, but I'm not a huge fan of this arc's premise. Everything else, though, from art to characters to action to dialogue, is awesome.

Justice League Dark #0: See, DC, was that so hard? Something that shows some new character backstory and relates to the current plot without it being redundant padding. This is the best issue 0 I've read this month, and this time that statement isn't a backhanded compliment.

Also, I decided to check out Talon because I was bored.

Talon #0: Hmm. Well, it's not bad, as origin story issues go. Tells us who the character is and sets up his ongoing conflict. Also does a good job of making his skillset not be identical to every other non-superpowered hero ever; he's primarily an escape artist, which I don't think I've seen before. Too early to say if the series is good, but it doesn't appear to be bad. I'll give it a few issues to really sell me on it.

Also does a good job of making his skillset not be identical to every other non-superpowered hero ever; he's primarily an escape artist, which I don't think I've seen before.

brb, crying over the fact that it will be years before DC does anything with Mister Miracle again.

motherfuckers need to know about shilo norman