If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• You can change. You can.

I liked the Batman one. It wasn't on par with Snyder's usual fare but I found it good enough. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Also I think the Megaman comic might be the best piece of tie-in fiction I've ever read.

I really need to catch up on that.

• edited 2012-09-14 00:44:02
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I didn't even bother rereading any of the 0s so far except for Action Comics (which as I've said has no reason to be a 0 issue) which I love. I particularly love that Clark Kent, while playing a shooting game, refuses to kill anyone. It's little clever things like that which I think solidify a character.

I think Demon Knights and Frankenstein benefit from having lesser known characters who actually benefit from origin stories, while the others kind of have everything already in concrete. Action Comics benefitted from Grant going 'fuck it, I'm leaving in December. Just telling the stories I want to.'

Also, guys. Garth Ennis is writing a childrens book. GARTH ENNIS.

^^I liked the second half, particularly Tim Drake's bit, but the whole 'logistics of early Batman' is an overexplored angle and off the top of my head I can think of a comic and a movie that do it better. It also leaves these weird gaps begging for a story (why did he go back to Wayne Manor?) that will never be filled.

I think Demon Knights and Frankenstein benefit from having lesser known characters who actually benefit from origin stories

I agree, but I found the Demon Knights one to be kind of insubstantial, not really showing all that much we didn't already know.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

True, I guess the difference is that Demon Knights had a lot of stuff I found fun, especially Etrigan as a lesser fiend and causing carnage in Hell. It's definitely not forward moving, but it's got stuff that's interesting to read going on.

And Frankenstein just jumps from crazy set piece to crazy set piece which is exactly what I want from that book. 

• edited 2012-09-14 00:49:09
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was fun. It's just that the Issue 0 concept makes me expect something special, and I haven't read any that have even been up to the series' normal standards, much less actually delivered on that. It's really obvious that this is a marketing stunt and nothing else. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the editors might be doing more writing than the writers this month.

It also leaves these weird gaps begging for a story (why did he go back to Wayne Manor?) that will never be filled.

Nah. Knowing Snyder, it's probably be relevant later down the line. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Oh all the #0 issues, the one I'm looking forward too is Supergirl's. Because they actually anticipated it and had the fortuitous circumstances to be working an "unravel the origins" plot going on. So they can actually use it to supplant the ongoing plot and not stall the story at all. 

Man, I'm wondering I could ask them -not- to give me the Wonder Woman 0 next week. I am so not looking forward to the bajillionth reboot when Azarello gave some pretty solid retcons already. 

• Garth Ennis also wrote Streets of Glory. Which although was plenty bloody and gorey, had a sense of purpose to said blood which never made it feel gratuitous, and the whole story had this quiet, soft-spoken dignity and heart about the whole thing.

So maybe a children's book isn't that big a stretch.
  • Phantom Stranger #0 was so shit and it made me want to die a little. DC's on their last chance with me! And most of the #0's have been shite so far.

Good to know. Too bad ; the event it was supposed to tie into had my interest.
  • Phantom Stranger was "One More Day" levels of bad, in that it flies in the face of everything that the series was supposed to be about.

It really is a shame that the recession was too much of a strain on DC and they had to shut down forever last August and that there hasn't been a comic featuring DC characters since. Really is a shame.

Yeah, I've just been hallucinating Batman, Batman Inc, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Supergirl and Action Comics for the past year.
  • Those were all very high quality fanfictions (and also: Supergirl) created by old DC artists and writers (I almost wrote 'writists' there...) who were upset at the company falling a part.

• American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares #4: I don't really like this miniseries. Now don't get me wrong, it's fantastically written and drawn and I adore that touch with the different languages being rendered in stereotypical fonts. Still, I don't think Dracula (even this heavily altered version of him) fits into the American Vampire universe and that really puts me off. 

Avengers Assemble #7: Everything about this book says I should love it. It's got fun, silver agey writing, the Guardians of the Galaxy are in it and the Avengers team here is a good, all star cast...but I dunno the whole thing just feels so...irrelevant y'know?

A thing that bugs me though. Okay so far we had three Avengers squads; The Avengers, the New Avengers and the Secret Avengers, I thought it was a really cool system and this new book doesn't really fit into that. It's really similar to the problem with X-Force and Spider-Man being in the Future Foundation. Like, Wolverine would appear in a comic but he'd be wearing his X-Force uniform because...because and the same with Spider-Man in the FF. So now it's going to be "Oh look, the Avengers are cameoing in this issue, but it's arbitrarily the team from Avengers Assemble rather than Avengers".

Those were all very high quality fanfictions (and also: Supergirl) created by old DC artists and writers (I almost wrote 'writists' there...) who were upset at the company falling a part.

hey fuck you supergirl is awesome

• I'm not enjoying it to be honest. It isn't BAD perse. But it certainly isn't to the quality of Action Comics and Animal Man.

yeah but what is

Action Comics has been on-and-off for me. There have been some issues that have been phenomenal and others that have been kind of eh. 

• It got really iffy during that whole detour with the LOSH.

Mos def. But it mostly has been sweet since 7, in my opinion.

• Oh totally. Right now, I'm focusing on Marvel as they just have so many more books that I'm interested in:

Wolverine and the X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Mighty Thor, Journey into Mystery, Incredible Hulk, New Avengers, Dark Avengers (it's weak now, but I have hope), Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Defenders, Venom, Scarlet Spider and soon; Young Avengers and Indestructible Hulk.

I just wish, all comics could be at least as good as Invincible.

Daredevil #18: I really love this arc because I just have no idea where it's going. Either Daredevil's insane or someone is trolling, and it really is impossible to tell which it is.

Sword of Sorcery #0: Um. Okay, the the basic story holds promise, but I'm growing increasingly concerned about how DC handles female characters. I'll keep following this series for now, but if it pulls that shit again I will drop it like it bit me. The backup, meanwhile, is pure awesome.

Oh, I guess I should add that SoS0 is probably the best issue 0 so far.

Though that's kind of like describing something as "the most pleasant beating I've ever received."

I dunno, Supergirl #0 was about the same as the rest of the series(good) and Wonder Woman and Action Comics #0 are supposed to be fine as well. 

I probably should have said "the best I've read so far."

^^^Yeah, like I said before every thing about the comic is great except for those two pages and it's very disconcerting to see this happen in their attempt to branch out to young girls. Amethyst is even getting shorts on Cartoon Network fercrissakes.

Then again, Twilight also had an attempted rape in it and I've seen women compliment it for this.

in their attempt to branch out to young girls

O.o

Then again, Twilight also had an attempted rape in it and I've seen women compliment it for this.

Yeah, but that's people complimenting Twilight, so :/

Doesn't refute my point that it's incredibly popular among young girls.