If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It has always been dark, but it has rarely been overly so.

• edited 2012-10-11 00:29:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Speaking of overly dark, Detective Comics #1 is free on Comixology today. And it was...well, yeah.

Anyway:

Batman #13: Hmmm...this actually has me less excited than the first issue did. I mean, they did a whole lot of buildup with the Joker having his face removed and going missing until now, and the whole payoff is "and I'm going to kill your allies?" That's it? Also, they're pretending the New 52 titles are happening in real time. That's kind of hilarious.

Avenging Spider-Man #13: That was...a thing.

Demon Knights #13: Definitely the best thing I read that came out this week. All interesting hell stuff, and some indications that this might be the most well-planned New 52 series, with the possible exception of Animal Man/Swamp Thing.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Not sure why, but this week kinda depressed me. Not sure why. Well I can list a few reasons. Wolverine and the X-men killing Broo was a punch to the gut, especially since he was new and fun and interesting. And I really just hate the Heckfire club. Or that X-men, Ultimate X-Men felt like they were treading water. Scarlet Spider and Secret Avengers were pretty fun, but not enough to get me excited about the week. Uncanny Avengers was off to a rough start, both pacing wise and content wise since lol the Red Skull defiling Charles Xavier's grave.

Batman I liked since it was full of Snyderisms and has a great impressive and brutal atmosphere going on. I think the plot is less about just Joker planning to kill off the Bat family, but also about the early history of Batman and Joker. Something that has been kinda lost to comics since it has always just been "they are contrasting enemies locked in eternal conflict!" Kinda worried that the whole thing might be a crossover with all the other books and not just an event that lets me skip other stuff like The Court of Owls was.  And the whole Hell on Earth Superman/Superboy/Supergirl crossover in the works is... I just want to read about Kara having adventures. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think the plot is less about just Joker planning to kill off the Bat family, but also about the early history of Batman and Joker.

Yeah, okay, that's fair. I suppose if I hadn't already known the Joker's origins (to the extent that they are known), I would have liked this issue a lot more. I guess it's targeted a bit at the new readers New 52 attracted.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. are both #1s that are a part of morrison's epic, so it's better to read them in successsion.

If you like Justice League Dark, I recommend Books of Magic quite wholeheartedly. Gates of Gotham is a Snyder piece which should speak for itself. Birds of Prey is pretty great, back from when Gail Simone didn't suck.

The 1996 JLA is by Grant Morrison and it's my favorite iteration of them. Lucifer is great, and Preacher and Planetary are must reads. (though Preacher is not for the squeamish) 

The Smallville comic is actually not-shit but that might just stockholm syndrome talking. 

Also Starman and We3.

In other news YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

I do have Planetary #1 and Gates of Gotham #1. Need to read more of those series, though. I'll check the other stuff out.

In other news YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

:D

• This is Superman's new costume.

This is the proposed Superman costumes for Superman Reborn/Lives, failed pitches that never got to filming.

"Lemkin's script, titled Superman Reborn, featured Lois Lane and Clark Kent with relationship troubles, and Superman's battle with Doomsday. When Superman professes his love to Lois, his life force jumps between them, just as he dies, giving Lois a virgin birth. Their child, who grows 21-years-old in three weeks, becomes the resurrected Superman, and saves the world."

"He (Producer Jon Peters) also suggested Sean Penn as being ideal for the role (in Superman Lives), based on his performance as a violent death row inmate in Dead Man Walking saying that Penn had the eyes of a "caged animal, a fucking killer,"

These are the end times.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The costume is wrong on so many levels.

Heh, virgin birth.

Is...isn't that the Superboy Prime suit?

That suit is all kinds of awful.

Also, can I just say how much I hate it when Superman just has heat vision on for no reason other than to make him look badass?

• Clockwork: It isn't, but that isn't much better.

Um...

-checks calendar-

I can't help but notice that it isn't the nineties. WTF is going on?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Launching in 2013 is Superior Spider-Man, a new series that will replace Amazing Spider-Man and, it seems, replace the Spider-Man character we know and love with... something else. According to Dan Slott, who'll write the new series, "The one thing that does not go with this Spider-Man is the term 'Friendly neighborhood.' No. That's gone... He's not going to be doing things the old Spider-Man way. There will be a new way of doing things. The first story arc is called 'Hero or Menace?' I think that pretty much tells you where we're going."

I think I'll stick to my Transformers comics. 

• I love that they're calling it "Superior" Spider Man, as if they expect absolutely everyone to think it's an improvement over the previous Spider Man comics.

Calling it now: this is going to be a repeat of the Clone Saga, quality-wise.

Slott's been good enough I'll give him a shot, and I mean he made Kaine of all people likable. 

But yeah, that title is really really dumb.

Then again, this is an industry that gave us 'Justice League Dark'.

Slott is a good writer, but with this sort of editorial-mandate-looking thing, it's kind of hard to tell who the actual writer is.

Aside from concrete stuff like who is writing/illustrating an upcoming book, I take all announcements with a grain of salt. Mostly because they are vague and drastic sounding to whip people up into a speculah/feels frenzy and get it to spread by word of mouth like crazy. Right now I trust that Slott is a good writer so I'll give it a shot, but won't really think about it until then. 

DYRE - eh, that is just Marvel digging for some adjectives to slap on a title more than anything. I mean we've had Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational, Fantastic and Astonishing all slapped onto the Spider-man titles. The adjectives mean nothing. 

• Don't forget "Avenging".

Although that was to signify his status as an Avenger and the book as a team-up series.

• a little muffled

Every time I hear the title "Avenging Spider-Man" I have to remind myself that it's not about people...avenging Spider-Man.

• Superman's costume looks stupid but it's only temporary. There's a new movie round the corner so Kal-El is going to be in the old red 'n' blues eventually.

Also, it seems Kon-El is inheriting the current Superman armour. 

Also, I have faith in Dan Slott, I'll be reading Superior and hope to be surprised by it.

So Andy Diggle is writing Action Comis after Morrison leaves and Tony Daniel is drawing.

Sounds pretty good. Diggle's a good writer and Daniel is inoffensive as an artist at least.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You know what comic I haven't seen for a while?

Angel and Faith.

It's still releasing... new one came out week before last actually.

My downloads page is well behind the times then.

Gah! The new Guardains of the Galaxy is going to be written by Bendis!

Oh god just picture it Malk. Groot is going to drop his "I AM GROOT" schtick so he and Rocket Racoon can yatter on about some bullshit space soap opera. No wait, even worse, every word bubble will still say "I AM GROOT", but there will be captions that translate what he is saying. And Starlord will start lamenting how much he misses dated pieces of pop culture cause, ya know, you have to show that he has been in space for a long time. 

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!