If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Read through Captain Marvel #1 just now.

I have no idea why that one panel focused so much on her ass. :|

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

-Googles to check what Mar-Vell looks like-

Ah. That makes sense.

Runaways #7: This one's...okay. The parents seem to be rapid-fire alternating between competence and incompetence, though I guess dealing with their kids has them a little off-balance. Getting to see the kids do some superheroing is nice, but the reveal at the end is way way way too contrived to be for real.

Ms. Marvel #26: So...does Marvel do events that aren't "all the superheroes beat each other up?" This is better than Civil War by orders of magnitude thus far, but it's kinda weird that they're the same thing for different reasons. Also, Aaron is a little bit too into this, though that's hardly surprising. Anyway, this one's pretty fun, with lots of rapid-fire shocking reveals about who is/isn't a Skrull or a Kree or alive or dead or whatever. Pretty much par for the course with shapechanger plots, but it's well-executed here.

Well, she's a female superhero, so they have to do something to appease any fans who are angry that her new costume isn't as revealing :P

• You can change. You can.

So...does Marvel do events that aren't "all the superheroes beat each other up?"

Nope. People like seeing X and Y fight. Hell, AvX's main book's titles are all stuff like "Red Hulk vs Ice-Man"

I figured it was editorially mandated and yeah that was really awful. But! Considering how normally you get much more of that kinda crap reading other titles, I forgave it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, it was a fun story apart from that. And the scene of Carol diving down from space to eat the fire caused through friction on her body was fun.

• Eat...the...fire...?
  • edited 2012-07-18 22:05:37
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I absorb heat. I consume it. The race is on.

Ms. Marvel #27:...eh. There's a little good stuff here, with Carol being depressed about how she's had anger management issues throughout the series. And...then she randomly sleeps with Wonder Man and we get a "to be continued in Secret Invasion #1."

I don't wanna buy Secret Invasion #1 T_T

Man, as much as I love this series overall, its quality drops like a rock whenever it gets a crossover tie-in.

That's pretty much how all Marvel series operate.

Sometimes good things happen, though. Like American Son and New Ways to Die.

• I'm a damn twisted person

And then you get the big X-men events where almost every X-men book gets involved in a crossover for the story. Those things like Messiah Complex and Second Coming tend to be fuck all awesome. 

Runaways #8: Dialogue and story continue to be good. The new kid continues to be suspicious as hell, but Alex is also quite creepy in the ending there. Alex, incidentally, has my vote on the traitor, though he could be a red herring, since him being the odd one out in every possible way is a bit too obvious.

The New Teen Titans #7: I wish every comic knew how to pack this much story into one issue. Anyway, this issue made me realize that Titans' Tower is only six floors. That's kinda disappointing, though it makes it more architecturally plausible. Robin convincing Doctor Light that he'd gained superpowers was hilarious and awesome. And the ending...damn. I'm not even going to say what I'm talking about. If you haven't read this...just go read this.

• I read the first issue of Space Punisher, it's actually really, really good! It KNOWS how silly it is, but it just takes it and runs with it.

It's kind of like if Han Solo was a bit more proactive and crazy and has his own comic. Give it a try.

And then you get the big X-men events where almost every X-men book gets involved in a crossover for the story. Those things like Messiah Complex and Second Coming tend to be fuck all awesome.  

Speaking of, I want more X-Men stuff. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

There are like eleven books out right now.

Personally I think X-force and Wolverine & The X-men are the best, but Alk's the x-guy here.

I am reading Wolverine (AvX slowed my catching up, though) and I started X-Force the day you reviewed the first volume.

Try not to cry at the fact that I sometimes listen to you.

But I mostly want old stuff. I know I should be reading Claremont's stuff but like...what else

Well for Claremont stuff try The Dark Phoenix Saga and God Loves, Man Kills. Those are some of his best work. As for "recent stuff" let's try the stuff I tossed out back in the mega rec list.

X-factor( by Peter David) - the merry band of fuck ups book. Or rather Jamieaddox getting really well developed and herding cats to run an investigation agency.

New Mutants vol 2/ Young X-men - high school antics give way to something darker as mutants become an endangered species

X-men Legacy - character book that might as well be called " Rogue and her amazing friends" . Bigger on characters playing off each other and developing than actual plot. Still a good read

New Mutants - gets that family of misfits vibe and run long running plot lines with big payoffs. So kinda like a spiritual successor to Claremont's run.

X-men - kinda hit or miss, but a return to old school super heroic camp premises. X-men vs Vampires, X-men vs giant monsters that may be something more.

X-club - just a mini , but lots of quotable lines as the X-men's science team uses SCIENCE!! to fight bad guys.

Exiles - great characters with Elseworlds zaniness and a long running mega plot.

Jason Aaron when writing Wolverine - the guy gets Sniktbub and can do gritty and smart at the same time. And just revel in Marvel's weirdness.

Cable - set right after Messiah Complex, watch Cable dad it up with Hope as they run through bad futures trying to avoid Bishop.

There try something from there Juan.

i luv you alky-poo

Runaways #9: Oh, good, they finally revealed the shocking twist that the new kid is evil. If I'd had to put up with him acting absurdly suspicious and nobody noticing for one more issue, I would have started headdesking. Not that the series is bad; the dialogue and characters are still great. It's just going a little heavy on the foreshadowing.

The New Teen Titans #8: So, this one basically splits up the team and they all have their own stories. Most of them are good, though the one involving Starfire and Donna is kinda creepy and stupid. There's also some setup for the next story arc, which I can't really comment on because there's not much of it. But overall, a good issue. As usual, it crams what might otherwise have been three issues worth of material into one without screwing up pacing.

yes gwen

bond with MJ

and then dump peter and leave with her.

yes good.

no gwen! don't tell her that Pete liked MJ

just tell her you like her. 

nuuuuuuuu i want lesbians why can't i have lesbians

•  

I made this and submitted it to a blog and they used it and now I'm happy.

awesome.

Going to see The Dark Knight Rises in about an hour. So far a lot of Batman t-shirts, one guy dressed as Batman and one guy dresses as Bane.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'm in theater seats now. Ten minutes bitches.
  • edited 2012-07-20 00:21:42
    I'm a damn twisted person
    One cosplayer as Catwoman now. Lemme see an Alfred, a Gordon and a Lucius Fox and cosplyers will have filled out the cast.

Edit: there is something surreal about looking to your side while at the urinal and seeing Batman next to you.
  • edited 2012-07-20 01:35:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Runaways #10: On the one hand, good action issue. On the other hand...well, we're back to a situation where the last four issues basically didn't happen. I mean, sure there was character development and stuff, but in a series with only 18 issues, going four of them without any change to the status quo seems a tad wasteful.

... Isn't there a lot more than 18 issues in Runaways?

Oh, wait, there's only 18 issues in volume one. right.

Runaways #11: We have finally found the dumbest supervillain minion ever. Seriously, how the hell does it seem like a good idea to bring superheroes in to help with your masters' plans? In other news, the suspects are narrowed down. Alex is still in the running, though, so no change in my opinion, though it might still be a red herring.