If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• You can change. You can.

I kinda figure Alk would want to but whatever.

See the thing about Japan and comics is that they grew out in relative isolation from European and American comic books. Most artists and writers developed a different language and ways of drawing, scripting and writing comics. 

So it's not a matter of "These people don't know how to write or draw comic books" so much as a matter of "These people don't know how to write or draw comic books in a western and familiar way". 

This doesn't mean that you have to enjoy Manga's layouts or whatever but simply that criticizing them for being "weird" seems rather silly to me.

• edited 2012-07-17 23:07:44

I want to respond to that at all but I actually can no longer even think of any particular examples of manga I've read with confusing panel layouts.  So perhaps I don't know what I'm even saying.

• edited 2012-07-17 23:24:35
    I'm a damn twisted person

Simply criticizing them for being wierd is silly yes. But I will add an addendum to my complaint about shoujo manga. The panels don't really seem to flow very well to me. It's hard to tell the order of events and it all just feels disjointed. And I get that the point of shoujo is to aim for more of an emotional resonance than action most of the time, but it is hard to feel attached to the characters when you can't really tell what is going on most of the time. 

Can I see an example of this, Alk?

• I'm a damn twisted person

Try Fruits Basket. It wasn't fuck all difficult to follow the panels, but a bit of a chore. 

• You know, I am really glad that Edgar Wright is directing Ant-Man, cause I know he wont focus on that whole "hit his wife that one time" thing.

• It'll mostly be about Scott Lang anyway, who didn't beat his wife.

• Replace Scott Lang with Eric O'Grady and I will love it forever.

It's going to have Hank Pym, though. So they either will have Yellowjacket running around at one point soon (and you know what this means) or he'll simply be Giant-Man

• From what I've heard, it's gonna feature Hank as the "old" Ant-Man, mentoring a new Ant-Man in the present day (Scott).

So Captain Marvel was pretty cool. A bit too "First issue"-y but still fun enough. Gotta love how DeConnick goes through every phase of the character though. From quippy fun to her daredevil attitude, this is one hell of an establishing issue

• edited 2012-07-18 17:26:03
    I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah, the standouts this week were Captain Marvel(they totally got Carol's character), Daredevil, Saga, Iron Man and surprisingly strong bits from X-Factor(especially considering this oneshot was a giant pun) and X-men with old school campy heroics.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Captain Marvel #1: First impression: THAT ART. The not-particularly-interesting cover had me worried, but the actual comic is gorgeous. Aside from that...pretty much what Juan said. This is very much a "here's who she is and why you should care" issue. That might have made it less interesting for people who already know the character, but I think they pulled it off so it works for everyone.

Daredevil #15: Very good. Lots of experimentation with the art style, and a clever reminder that Daredevil's powers aren't quite what people generally think of them as being. Also, I think this is the first time I've seen Iron Man acting like a hero in the comics. Also also, gotta love how they had Carol show up in one panel just to remind people that she's got a comic out.

So...did Marvel and DC get together and just declare that this month would be awesome? Because it's been a really good month.

• edited 2012-07-18 18:13:46
    You can change. You can.

these are the months that make you think "Hey, the big Two love us" and then they do the stuff they do and then you end up being like a happy bride who just discovered she married the worst man ever and then and then and then they take Steph away and replace her with Babs and i can't cope with this ;~;

Ms. Marvel #24: My problem with this story arc is that Carol switches powersets so many times that it's hard to keep taking seriously. That said, once that stopped happening, her way of resolving the situation was pretty cool and the wrap-up stuff was all good, and Carol once again did her whole "noticing one of her character flaws and being all derpessed about it" thing. The next story arc looks pretty good, though I don't know much about Secret Invasion.

Secret Invasion's OKish. Not particularly bad but not particularly impressive

• Secret Invasion is basically "blah blah blah you know all those OOC moments? That was because they were Skrulls. Also Super-Skrull invasion that takes powers from everybody and mixes up costumes!"
  • So apparently, in the New 52 continuity, Tim Drake was "never" Robin. 

Bye DC.

as long as DC publishes Frankenstein, they will get my money

and i will keep attempting to create a Frankenstein that will kill Dan DiDio.

• edited 2012-07-18 18:46:03
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Looking it up, it looks like they're pretty much just saying "oh, everything happened exactly the same, but in the bits where he was Robin, he was Red Robin."

That's, um...why? I mean, on the one hand, that's the best way to handle that particular retcon because it means nothing substantial changes, but on the other hand, it's entirely pointless.

• If he was never Robin, why is he Red Robin now.

This logic. It does not compute.

That's, um...why? I mean, on the one hand, that's the best way to handle that particular retcon because it means nothing substantial changes, but on the other hand, it's entirely pointless.

Well it means that either Batman didn't trust Tim well enough for him to bear the same name as Dick and Jason or Tim didn't want the Robin mantle. Which still doesn't explain why he sought Batman and explained that the image and the character of Robin were important for his survival.

Ah, I see...:/

Maybe they're just clumsily trying to explain how the hell Batman went through that many sidekicks in five years by having some of them overlap?

Honestly the only reason I can see is separating Batman's legacy and his family of fucked-up individuals from Tim's endeavors. But the thing is, the Red Robin on-going that ended with the New 52 did that way better than this is doing it.

• edited 2012-07-18 19:01:41

Ms. Marvel #25: Silver age flashbacks, drawn and written in the style of the silver age. That is pretty damn awesome. The universe continues its efforts to screw Carol's personal life up as much as possible. Anyway, as for the invasion itself...um...don't get me wrong, it's good, but it made me go back and try to think of how many story arcs in this series haven't somehow involved there being more than one Carol, and the answer is...two. And if you count "mind-controlled Carol" as an alternate version of her, it drops to one. What the hell?

• The Red Robin series was amazing. I miss it. I want another Robin solo, now.

Also, I wont be getting Captain Marvel #1 till Saturday, so...is it good? I hope it is.

Well the character started with a duality of sorts (Carol and Ms Marvel were distinct personalities unaware of each other)

• edited 2012-07-18 19:03:53

^^It's good. Held back slightly by its need to do first issue stuff, but if this is what the series looks like when being held back, it's going to be pretty awesome.

^Ah. That would explain a lot about the last arc, actually. It would have been really nice of the writers to tell me that during the exposition dumps.

• edited 2012-07-18 20:01:50

So...something I just noticed about the new Captain Marvel costume. That mask thing seems to pop out when she flies above the atmosphere. Okay, fair enough, but...it doesn't cover her nose or mouth, so what is it for?

• edited 2012-07-18 20:11:03
    It's to make her look more like Mar-Vell. Duh.

Carol Danvers can't breathe in space. Carol Danvers doesn't need to breathe at all.

Also that said it looks like the Uncanny Avengers teased line-up are entirely old mainstays and fan favorites, taking no chances at all. Which is pitiful.