If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• You can change. You can.

The Water Temple always seemed like the easiest shit to me, to be honest.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-21 09:12:29

^^^Fans can be so indecisive. 

The problem I see is that they did change things, but they weren't for the better. Gone are the wide-open expanses and the large amount of secrets and sidequests, Nintendo apparently thought it was too big. Now instead we get sub-Mario 64 "overworlds" that rely on repetitive fetch quests and recolored enemies to pad out such a lifeless and empty world, with the justification that it's "one big dungeon," which barely holds water when it's not nearly as well designed or constructed as the best dungeons in the series.

They also gave us the abomination they call Fi, which is probably the worst design decision to ever grace the series since Navi first uttered the two immortal words "Hey, Listen!" Hell, Navi was at least useful. Fi never gave out even slightly useful information, rather she restated information that NPC's gave out just as they stopped talking, or told you about events happening right before your eyes. Nintendo should learn that players can make inferences to what's happening very easily, and not have a monotone voice tell you what you probably already know.

Motion controls were hit-or-miss at best. It works pretty well with the sword, bow and beetle, but for god's sake, can't I just use an analog stick for flying and swimming? Swimming and Flying worked well enough in Twilight Princess(I'm referring to that giant Roc you could fly with to reach Zora's Domain) when you could just use the stick, so why would you change it?

• Kichigai birthday!!
    The water temple is not hard,just annoying because you have to pause to change your boots all the time. But I think they fixed that in the 3DS version
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

^ That is true.  It's a regular item now, you don't have to go to the gear screen to switch them out.

• They're somethin' else.

Yeah, the Water Temple isn't challenging. It's just one of those "Plug in a good 3 hours" kinda dungeons.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Jabu Jabu's belly, Oracle version. Now that's a pain.

Also, Eagle Tower from LA.

• Definitely not gay.

I beat VVVVVV, guys!

And it only took me 1,783 deaths!

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-21 12:12:07
    Oops Internet hates SS. Guess I better stop liking it.

>Everyone hating on Skyward Sword
    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg2dlipZ6l1qzmopno1_400.jpg" alt="" width="400" height="458" />

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    But I wasn't hating. :C
  • You can change. You can.

You know, for someone who complains a lot when people use image macros, you sure seem to use them.

As I said, Juan. Moderation.

Anyways, SS is a nice second first effort from Nintendo. I really do hope they expand on the motion controls for sword fighting. I quite enjoyed it.

• So, how them games?

Getting back in Star Fox 64. I am going to get all medals. Then try Expert mode for once, then give up cuz I'm a wuss. :v
  • I honestly don't mind the lack of an expansive overworld, mainly because the overworld has always seemed just so boring compared to the dungeons.

Sure, you find a few secrets here and there, but they tend to be scattered about sparingly, and traveling across an overworld with little to do is pretty tedious. Twilight Princess was especially bad about this, and Wind Waker was probably the worst (which is kind of a shame since it's otherwise my favorite Zelda game.)

The more streamlined world is a welcome change to the franchise, having puzzles to solve and things to actually do makes it much more interesting than any of the generic overworlds in the other games.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    Things that made Star Fox 64's 3DS port worth buying:

1. Level Select.

2. Tutorial Bear's sexy, sexy voice.
  • edited 2012-05-21 12:39:35
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^^ I don't think they need to expand the motion controls so much as they need to refine them. During my run, the motion controls didn't always work as intended. In any case, having eight strikes and a thrust is probably enough in terms of control, but they should find other ways to apply those attacks. Sword parries, proper directional hit detection (rather than axis-based hit detection) and single-time techniques with some moves returning from Twilight Princess would do nicely, I think. 

• Is there an option to change the voices to simlish ala Star Fox SNES?

Because that is something importang I need to know before I make my purchase for a 3DS.

Not that I hate the regular voices, curious is all.
  • Unless you're playing the port and it's different than the original, it's not significantly harder than the regular game other than it being easier to lose your wings.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-21 12:48:14
    Ah.

Hate it when I just barely miss the medal score.

Also looking trying the original Star Fox for something different. Thank you PC-compatible controller and not that Logitech crap.
  • Champion of the Whales

D3 and the EU are having "issues" apparently.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Play Torchlight II, it's Diablo III (okay more like Diablo II) without all the DRM bullshit and is a third of the price!

• Champion of the Whales

I don't have D3, I just know people are having issues with the servers being down

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

My point still stands.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It constantly amazes me that people consider Blizzard a competent game dev.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-21 13:56:04

The Water Temple in Master Quest was incredibly easy, surprisingly. 

For those playing Master Quest mode, it may be worth your while to sequence break and beat the Water Temple first, it makes the Fire Temple much easier when you have the Longshot and Fire Arrows. It still doesn't make that one goddamn puzzle where you once got the Megaton Hammer any more frustrating, though.

• edited 2012-05-21 13:53:37
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ They are. I don't like their games very much, but their polish and consistency is phenomenal, and for many gamers, they consistency provide gaming experiences with a great amount of both accessibility and depth. Of all their games, I really only enjoy the two Starcraft titles, but it's difficult to deny what they produce on an objective level. In many ways, they're one half of the West's Nintendo -- the other half being Valve. My major disappointment with Blizzard is that they don't innovate, which is especially grating given the amount of resources they have to begin with. Since I don't enjoy many Blizzard games to begin with, this pretty much prevents me from appreciating them on a personal artistic level. 

• edited 2012-05-21 13:57:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Eh, if I sequence break in OOT, it's to do the reverse bottle adventure. No point in doing it halfway.

^I can't actually comment on Starcraft or the earlier Warcraft entries, but I can't really consider WoW good in...well, any way, really, and Diablo III actually doesn't work.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I can't really consider WoW good in...well, any way, really

They took a very niche genre that only the hardest of the hardcore really cared about, and made it appealing enough to get 12 million paying subscribers.  That's got to count for something, even if you don't like MMO gameplay.

Diablo III actually doesn't work.

Based on what I'm hearing from friends who have the game, that was only really true for the first couple days.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

They took a very niche genre that only the hardest of the hardcore really cared about, and made it appealing enough to get 12 million paying subscribers.  That's got to count for something, even if you don't like MMO gameplay.

I think WoW is a success, but that doesn't make it a good game.

Based on what I'm hearing from friends who have the game, that was only really true for the first couple days.

Really? From what I've heard, it's still a little bit iffy. And bear in mind that this isn't some minor oversight. This is a company deliberately designing a game in such a way that it couldn't possibly work at launch.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Diablo III's nonfunctionality was apparently exaggerated, and people were playing smoothly by the second day (and, if they weren't, certainly are now). WoW started a lot of trends I dislike, but at the very least its elements were polished and mechanically sound. Today it's primitive, even for the gameplay standards of MMOs, but it continues to be the most popular title in part because of Blizzard's excellent quality control.

I'm not saying Blizzard haven't had significant failures, but they're also an excellent development studio all-up.