If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Google bans

edited 2011-04-21 23:30:51 in Webspace
They were supposed to be handed out for outstanding nastiness, yet they're being used as punishment for ordinary rulebreaking.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, they're definitely overused.
  • I have to agree with this, although the problem is it's usually very easy to skirt regular bans on TV Tropes.
  • It's because it's starting to get devalued by forum goers.
  • It's kind of cruel to never allow someone to view a website again. Maybe he's not the only user of that computer.
  • Meh, bans are cold hearted and cruel anyway, and Wikipedia has something similar set up where an IP cannot access the wiki at all, so logically we should clone hitler.
  • Bans are assholish, I hate how admins never think people can change. People are not static characters, they can undergo Character Development into much better people than before.
  • edited 2011-03-18 15:34:29
    (void)
    «Bans are assholish, I hate how admins never think people can change. People are not static characters, they can undergo Character Development into much better people than before.»
    There are people who can improve themselves.  But then there are some who you can just give second chance after second chance to and they'll still never change.  After a certain point you have to stop letting someone who will never improve continue to run rampant on the forum.
  • Also, even if people do change. It usually takes them a good deal of time to do so, sometimes waiting that long is not a valid option.
  • Silence is golden.

people, don't use "character development" when talking about real persons, it's stupid.

oh, and agreeing 100% with OP, I have nothing to add.

• I was going to say that but then I figured it wouldn't stop anyone.

Since tropers love to shoehorn trope names into all their sentences, even when they don't fit at all.
  • To me, banning someone from accessing the wiki for being an asshat on the forums is major overkill. You'd think just banning them from the forums would be enough.
  • The problem with forum bans is that they are implemented in a way in which they are ridiculously easy to circumvent.
  • It's fairly easy to circumvent an IP ban too, though.
  • edited 2011-03-18 15:39:38
    ^^ So re-impliment the technology so that it's harder to circumvent.
  • It's fairly easy to circumvent an IP ban too, though.
    Certainly, but it requires a bit of computer knowledge and an effort of sorts, which would deter a lot of people from ban evading. A forum ban can be avoided by getting a new handle, which is particularly easy in TV Tropes.

So re-impliment the technology so that it's harder to circumvent.
    Yes, that'd be optimal, but the cost of all the changes necessary to the code, system and policies would probably outweigh the benefits of doing so.
  • But in TvTropes, you tend to get a unique "look" about you. I couldn't circumvent my google bounce because everyone would know it was me the very instant I started posting.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Don't post. Just edit the wiki.

The forum is the least important part of the wiki, and the right side tends to be far more useless than the posting suggests.
  • edited 2012-07-22 18:12:28

• "and the right side tends to be far more useless than the posting suggests."

Considering what the posting does suggest, that's quite a statement.

• edited 2011-03-18 15:59:36
    [tɕagɛn]
    I abandoned the wiki almost completely for the forums.

And I have no interest in editing the wiki.

Dove: Eddie would just ban me again.
  • Yeah... I don't think kashchei and Chagen are really comparable at all.
  • edited 2011-03-18 16:04:48
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    They have c's in their name and have experienced bans, but no, there is nothing to compare them on a standard basis.
  • edited 2012-07-22 18:10:46

• The forum is the least important part of the wiki

I used to disagree with this, but now I'm unsure of which part I dislike more.

I still post in Kagami Hiiragi snuggling with onions, though, so I guess I'll say the forums aren't totally awful.
    You can discuss problems with tropes in the discussions on the pages.

the Forum is just a nicer way of doing so.

But people went "TV Tropes ruined our lives, we need a place to hang out" and Fast Eddie obliged with the creation of the Just For Fun area.

It gets 40% more traffic than the whole left side, and more reports come from that side.
  • Or rather, what I meant was, I don't like the wiki at all and haven't for a while, and lately I've realized I don't like the forum either.
    You liking the wiki is not important to why the left side of the forum exists in general.
  • Nor are your unsubstantiated theories.
  • edited 2011-04-22 12:28:54
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Keep telling yourself that.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Only thing that bothers me is that they handed me one without even allowing to explain myself.