If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Maybe gender as social construct could be useful for transpolitics. But for the most part they rely on essentialist theories for support.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:49:28

^^^It's a moot point, since the study of engineering doesn't involve money (unless it's the subject that overlaps with business).

^^Okay, I think I get it now (or not). It leads to questions of the real value of money and such.

• You can change. You can.
    My point is that it seems a tad silly to say that the humanities don't have any use in real life, considering we base our socity first and foremost in law and civilian concepts. 

you know, humanities stuff. 
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^When they mean "they're useless", they mean "it won't make you money".

But that's simply due to demand and barrier to entry more than anything.
  • edited 2011-12-07 00:00:44

Yeah, I see your point. I apologize for my belligerence.

I really ought to think twice before posting in a bad mood.

^Apparently, it's more that if you're majoring in say, English, you have to put more effort into explaining how this is actually useful to the company. I imagine clever people can do this with any degree since there are some common life skills involved in each.

• But humanities sound fun though, and everything else sounds boring.
  • edited 2011-12-07 00:03:52
    You can change. You can.
    Meh, it didn't seem particularly belligerent to me. Just a bit....ignorant, to be frank.

^I actually agree with this. Although of course, I'd never extrapolate my position to others because I understand that my liking of humanities and art is mostly because that kinda thing has always drawn my attention more than science.
  • Looking back, I should have known better because I actually have taken and enjoyed a philosophy class. Somehow, the whole "arguing with parents" aspect overrode any semblance of logic.

I have no idea why that touches a sensitive nerve.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Lots of mathematical and scientific stuff interests me, but having a job in those fields would probably not involve the stuff that interests me.
  • I'm interesting psychology and sociology too.
    Yeah, science interests me in a purely trivial level, to be honest. Like knowing just enough to be a functional human being and trivia to spice it up.
  • edited 2011-12-07 00:20:13
    Carl Sagan said, "Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact.
    "
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    My knowledge of metallurgy is limited, although I'm quite interested in the subject.

If I were to achieve the rank of 'free scholar' at my fightschool and become learned in metal chemistry, might I be considered a 'sword scholar alchemist'? <_<
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm properly in the Christmas spirit now.
  • Replace your right arm with a metal prosthesis!
  • edited 2011-12-07 00:25:42
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ Is that some sort of Full Metal Alchemist joke?

• After a year, I finally found this song that I've gotten stuck in my head for months.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Is it wrong that I think people who cannot use proper grammar or enunciate properly have no right to complain about people who don't speak english?
  • edited 2011-12-07 00:34:45
    Music you found?

This is hypnotic...
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Replace your right arm with a metal prosthesis!

Superior example.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Just graft a sword to your stump instead!

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "Is it wrong that I think people who cannot use proper grammar or enunciate properly have no right to complain about people who don't speak english"

Not at all.
  • http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2454

Bro posted this to my wall, rest of Facebook agrees this is me. Not sure whether it implies they think I'm pedestalling relationships, am being too picky or see cynicism as a synonym for emotude. Probably all three.

^They have every right to do so if people can't make themselves understood enough to function. Save for refugees or scammed illegals, there's plenty of ways to make yourself understood, such as a PDA with a translation program(yeah, again not for the economically disadvantaged) or having someone who does speak the language write down what you want to say on a note beforehand.

• edited 2011-12-07 11:05:08
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I forgot that v-necks are hipster apparel now. But that simply lends further support to my opinion that hipsters get the best clothes.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Don't do it, Evermod. Down that road lies only madness.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Well, I already have the v-neck (and it's like my favorite shirt). My glasses don't count, though, since I actually need those. And then there's the thing with wanting skinny jeans. And a scarf. And a pennycoat.

Maybe it helps that there are a lot of people at my school who dress like hipsters, but are incredibly nice.
    >Implying that being a hipster means that you can't be nice.

really, it's like the people who think that punks always have to be anarchic assholes. 
  • edited 2011-12-07 11:29:10
    Has friends besides tanks now
    The word is, nowadays, generally used to generalize people with certain tastes as assholes. It's wrong, but that's how it's generally used, and how I meant it in my post, if that makes sense.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I GOT SKYWARD SWORD

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Also, surprisingly it works very well with the left hand
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    I do see value in analyzing gender as a social construct since it's
    meant to help change the discriminatory way transpeople, and hell, even
    women are treated.

The problem when it comes to "gender is a social construct" in relation to transpeople, is that it's an extremely common argument used against transsexuality. As in "Gender is a social construct, so why do you need to change your sex?" arguments.