If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >Decide to take a short nap from 8:30 to noon, since I've been having trouble sleeping
    >Wake up at 7 PM because my alarm didn't go off
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Welcome to my world.
  • Yup, once I didn't even see the sun for the 17 hours I was awake.
  • You can change. You can.
    how does that even make sense

came back from the therapist. decided to chill with some Where The Wild Things Are (The Steve Vai concert. Not the other thing)
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I've just started reading Homestuck.

God help me.
  • Let me know how that goes. I sure as hell am not going to try.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno if I'll even finish or if I'll just get bored and forget partway through.
    Try to at least struggle through act 1. Right after that ends is where it really starts to pick up. Act 1 loses more readers than any other.
    I dunno, it's amusing me so far.
  • edited 2011-12-06 22:02:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I find it funny too, but it tends to take forever to actually explain stuff or do anything, and a lot of people quit reading because of that.
  • edited 2011-12-06 22:33:45
    You can change. You can.
    Act 1 had its moments. But I was all "WHEN DOES THIS SHIT START?!?!"

and so I was during act 2

and that's why i never read homestuck

ETA: Although I guess I could sorta skip act 2, as I already watched Ascend and the WV's intro.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    My IRL best friend is a brony.
  • edited 2011-12-06 22:40:25
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Just finished Act 1

yeah, i have no idea what's going on

^ We are legion.
  • I jumped in around Act 6. I'll figure things out as I go along, but my interest is solely dependent on how others like it. Not good, I know, but still.
  • edited 2011-12-06 22:42:15
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ Also, weak to pike formations.

brb beginning a Scottish militia

where the fuck is Conductor when you need him
    I'll figure things out as I go along 
    Honestly, I'm not sure that would even work. In my attempts to explain what happened since the point when my roommate stopped reading so he can start following again, I've realized that so much stuff happened in acts 4-5 that it just can't be explained properly to someone who didn't see it.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:11:37
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Got myself dragged into a political debate with my mom and stepdad. Two and a half hours ago. I'm just now done telling my mom I want to drop it, get my goddamn time back, and do homework.

It sucks because they're God-awful debaters, in many ways, and overly vindictive in their political alignments (for example, they're in favor of that indefinite torture and detainment bill that was brought up by Icalasari a while ago, and still overly concerned with the war on terrorism). Plus my mom soapboxed at me about stuff she not only already knows my opinions on, but stuff I already agree with her on. And apparently my stepdad thinks Bachmann is an intelligent person after seeing her speak.

For what it's worth, I somehow managed to sway my mom in favor of gay marriage (though that was more gradual and had to do with her not having considered things a certain way--namely, that homophobia is dehumanizing), and she didn't react as badly as I'd expected when -gasp- I told her I use the fuck-word around these parts. Plus I got away with a few other profanities in the "debate", even though she had told me bad things would happen if I were ever caught swearing in the house.

tl;dr: Two hours of my life lost to politics.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:04:52
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    TG reminds me of one of my RL friends.

^ :/
    I feel ya. My dad loves dragging me into debates. Today I was trying to explain to him that money was a social construct. That was fun. >_>
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:13:34
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ Damn. I remember some people in my English class not quite understanding that. As high school freshmen.

It took my mom finally learning that humans aren't the only reproductive species that practices homosexuality on a noticeable basis to fully comprehend that marriage is also a social construct.

Oh, and fun quote of the day: "You are not [my stepbrother]". I find this hilarious because I find him much more reasonable than either of my parents, but since he's a liberal longhair, that's obviously a no-no.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:18:22

Somehow, I imagine those "social construct" arguments would sound a lot more fun if I decided to devote my life to the humanities rather than engineering. Then I wouldn't have the "How can this actually be applied to real life?" mentality to much of the humanities.

If you're a person that earns money through your own labour, then money as a social construct is relevant no matter what you do.
    Hell, if you use money it is.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:38:34
    Relevant is not necessarily useful. Maybe if you plan on an anarchist revolution which involves a different form of commodity exchange, but how does it help with paying off loans, for instance?
    Sorry, I forgot how hard science help paying off the loans. 
  • Well, at least math does, because it helps with budgeting.
  • I find it funny how some people interpret "X is a social construct" as "X does not exist".
  • I do see value in analyzing gender as a social construct since it's meant to help change the discriminatory way transpeople, and hell, even women are treated. But sometimes, it's hard to see how some things can lead to a useful function.
    I was more thinking "How does [something something engineering thingy you do] help pay off the loans"
    Asking why it's relevant is like asking why water is relevant.

Everyone needs resources. Resources are represented by money.

Resources have object value (i.e., to be consumed or used in some manner). Money has subjective value.

So we're using a subjective measure to quantify objective human requirements.