If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It gets better later on."

Comments

• $80+ per session
    You do realize you are using the term "hook" incorrectly.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    You do realize it has more than one meaning.
  • No rainbow star
    You do realize that Horrible Orange Occular Kingdoms is a way to make Hook into an acronym :D
  • $80+ per session
    Right, you are saying that a "hook" is the part of the pilot that gets you interested in the series, usually done through plot right?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The hook is an audience reaction, usually generated by a well-done first episode :c
  • $80+ per session
    that does not make sense. the hook is the thing that attracts them. Not the reaction. That's why its called a hook
  • My usual response to this sort of thing is "then show me a decently-standalone part from after it gets good."

If I really do think it's good, I'll usually go ahead and sit through the beginning stuff for the sake of learning continuity.
    Nope, the audience is (supposed to get) hooked by the pilot.

Bee: That's a way to do it, but it's less than desirable.
  • $80+ per session
    Yes and a HOOK HOOKS
  • edited 2011-10-08 19:19:08
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Vivi's right, Cygan. A "hook" isn't an audience reaction; the hook creates the audience reaction.
  • $80+ per session
    The the hook for a movie is the concept in the story that draws them in. The original thing that attracts an audience.
    Bluh bluh bluh

As I'm kind of dumb, I couldn't phrase this correctly on my own, so here's what Illflower has to say.

"Hook" as a verb is something that *is done* to the audience. That's why it's used passively in "was hooked by".

Cygan, I'll just put it like this: you were all using the word "hook" correctly until you started arguing about it.
  • edited 2011-10-08 19:28:37
    $80+ per session
    Man, #yackfest just buys sarcasm and snark in bulk, doesn't it?
    Oh yes. Those messages were so very sarcastic.
  • $80+ per session
    The second one was pretty snarky, and so was the one you just said.
    Yeah, the one I said was sarcastic indeed. Thus the point of the message.

Illflower's messages, however, were not very sarcastic. By the look of it, he's right :C
  • $80+ per session
    I'll never not think #yackfest is forever swimming in a sea of snark.
    Good for you.
  • edited 2011-10-08 19:41:52
    Illflower is correct on both counts; Cygan appeared to be using it correctly until asked to define it, so I'm not sure where she was using it incorrectly before that.

And could we please not get into some bitter cross-site argument?
  • $80+ per session
    I must be psychic then.
    Maybe :C

I know what I meant, so maybe I'm just thinking about it differently to everyone else though. It makes sense to me. I don't have the words to put it any other way though :C
  • You can change. You can.
    The audience can be hooked. But that's not necessarily the book's hook, due to a variety of reasons such as blah blah subjectivity.

So, let's do something dumb and call it biting the hook, eh?
  • $80+ per session
    Your smiley's are too cute.
  • edited 2011-10-09 15:15:40
    Loser
    I think Cygan makes a pretty good point about how shows should hook the audience in the first episode. The "moving the goalposts" problem that Abyss_Worm pointed out is a good part of the reason why I think that. Telling people to sit through a series to get to "the good part" seems like strange advice to me because I feel like "the good part" tends to become significantly less enjoyable if everything else in the series is not your cup of tea.

That being said, I think there is a legitimate reason to say "it gets better later on." Someone who has only watched the first episode of a series likely only has his or her beliefs about how the series will progress in mind when evaluating whether to continue watching it. Those beliefs and predictions may be incorrect. Another person who has finished the series knows what happens next and thus may have some insights that can help deal with the incorrect predictions that the first person may make.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Not related to the hook definition debate: I sorta have this feeling with some shows I'm watching right now (specifically, Gankutsuou and Steins;Gate) where I'm really, really bored at three episodes in and I'm enjoying some others more, but I know that some people (at least Malk) would be like "dude just wait" or something like that. And I was planning on giving them at least three more episodes, but I don't know how long it will be before my investment becomes worthwhile.
  • edited 2011-10-09 17:11:16
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Honestly I have a hard time saying 'it's get better later' with Gankutsuou because I found it excellent from start to finish.

Then again, it's based on one of my favorite books which is also often too slow for many people.

I can get the distaste for SG's slowness since it's a much harder sci-fi than animu tends to deal in but it makes me eat it right the fuck up.
  • edited 2011-10-09 17:50:57
    I can get the distaste for SG's slowness since it's a much harder sci-fi than animu tends to deal in but it makes me eat it right the fuck up.

It's not even the fact that it's sci-fi; it's more that I dislike the characters, the humor doesn't work, and the plot took three episodes to become remotely interesting.

And Gankutsuou is just plain dull, not to mention it's done nothing to play with my expectations.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Well, I definitely disagree with you on the characters. It has the first Tsundere I ever found myself fond on.

And Gankutsuou... dull... I'm sorry I can't even fathom how you can think that.
  • $80+ per session
    -shrug-

All I know is my favorite series of all time gets much better later on.
  • It has the first Tsundere I ever found myself fond on.

What about Azu-nyan or Jun (even though neither of them stay tsundere for very long and they're not actually tsundere for any particular person, just for a club)!? :O