If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It gets better later on."

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That's because TTGL is the objectively greatest TV Show ever.

gragh

this thread just entered whole new levels of stupid
  • There's a reason these things are called spoilers you know.

Well then, I see we suffered from a simple case of miscommunication then.

Carry on.
  • Okay, more seriously, I can see what you mean, AHR, by being hyped causing you to be annoyed when I work isn't Jesus Butter on God Toast.

Me and Vivi are the same way on Homestuck. I just can't stand the fanbase.
  • "this thread just entered whole new levels of stupid"

I assume you simply just intentionally ignored the "joking" part at the bottom of the post.

Nice to know you think I'm an idiot, too.

But eh.

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE
  • edited 2011-10-09 21:19:06
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Cygan, it was fairly evident that Chagen was being tongue-in-cheek. Please chill out.

Also, being mad at a show for somebody else ruining the joke... I'm not going to be mad at David Chapelle because other people wouldn't shut up about being Rick James, bitch.

^TROLL THE UNTROLLABLE
  • "Cygan, it was fairly evident that Chagen was being tongue-in-cheek. Please chill out."

This.

TTGL is my own personal favorite TvShow, though.
  • "AW: You know, every time you make an exception for Atlas Shrugged, I can't tell if you're joking or not."

It's not a joke. Atlas Shrugged is my most reviled book, and the reason I exempt it from separating the work from the fandom is because it actively distorts the worldview of readers, which cannot be said of something like The Star Wars Holiday Special.

• edited 2011-10-09 21:22:43
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yeah, Atlas Shrugged does actively encouraged the superiority complex of its readers.

Though that's a case of blaming a book for its fans and not the fans for the book... or something.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Cygan, it was fairly evident that Chagen was being tongue-in-cheek. Please chill out.

I'm well aware it was tongue-in-cheek. That doesn't stop the comment from being stupid.

Gah, whatever. Carry on with your ridiculous arguments.
  • What I was getting at a couple pages ago is that I recognize that some shows will take a while to slip into their groove.  Between the writers developing and being able to mimic each other's style, the actors/VA's developing chemistry, etc, sometimes they don't really find that rhythm for a few episodes.
    What I was getting at a couple pages ago is that I recognize that some shows will take a while to slip into their groove.  Between the writers developing and being able to mimic each other's style, the actors/VA's developing chemistry, etc, sometimes they don't really find that rhythm for a few episodes.

Yeah. But again, what that means is that the first few episodes are weak, which is a flaw of the show.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Well, I don't think people making the argument it gets better are arguing the show is perfect.

Or at least they shouldn't.
    No. However, the thing is, they're asking people to put up with all the... crap that comes before it in order to get to the good stuff.
  • Out of curiosity, any particular work of entertainment inspire this thread?

Is it homestuck?
    ^^Yes, probably because they think the good stuff makes up for it.

Not that I agree. I'm just pointing out the logic.
    Out of curiosity, any particular work of entertainment inspire this thread?

Nope, just something that was on my mind.

Not that I agree. I'm just pointing out the logic.

It could make up for it. I'm not the judge of that. What I'm saying is, it's... not a good thing to require this.
  • Well, there is a difference between going from shit -> good, 

and

Fairly OK -> good,

I think.
  • What I'm saying is, it's... not a good thing to require this.

Who has ever said it was though?  I don't think there's anyone who thinks a series is better specifically because of its early episodes being weak.  Because of them being slow or different from later episodes or whatever, maybe, but I don't think "the first few episodes are bad, therefore this show is better as a result" is a particularly widespread opinion of anything.

No, I'm not saying it is. However, a lot of people don't think the opposite, either- people generally just... kind of skip over it, and focus on everything after the bad part, ignoring the bad part completely, which isn't a good idea.
    Time heals all wounds, so people almost always forget the bad.

Star Trek fans don't talk about "Spock's Brain" after all.
  • Cygan, all fiction sucks shit in the first episode/chapter/30 minutes/level/etc.

You just have to endure the crap to get to the gold. Assuming there is gold and not more crap.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    "Cygan, all fiction sucks shit in the first episode/chapter/30 minutes/level/etc."

Whoa there.
    ^^Hellboy. Your argument is invalid.
  • "Cygan, all fiction sucks shit in the first episode/chapter/30 minutes/level/etc."

• $80+ per session
    Chagen: 0
  • edited 2011-10-11 23:38:51
    [tɕagɛn]
    Well, I'd fine few who'd say that a work is better in the beginning than the climax.

Okay, fine. Let me revise my statement:

Cygan, most fiction is not as good in the exposition as it is in the rising action or the climax. Sometimes, the gap in quality is greater. But it can take some works a little while to hit their stride.

The hardest part of turning a car on is initially igniting the engine, after all. After that, it's smooth sailing.
    The thing is, that's not good. Not at all. The ending might well be the best in the world, but if it has a sucky beginning, that's going to put a lot of people off, because they don't want to watch something that sucks.
  • "The hardest part of turning a car on is initially igniting the engine, after all. After that, it's smooth sailing."

Implying that turning a car on is hard. Or that the car will keep going until you turn it off.

• Well, too bad.

The beginning is always the hardest part. I never can get my stories on paper past the beginning because it's difficult doing all that exposistion without info-dumping.
  • edited 2011-10-11 23:44:41
    [tɕagɛn]
    "Implying that turning a car on is hard. Or that the car will keep going until you turn it off."

More damage is done to a car's engine in the first few seconds of starting it than is done through 1000 miles of normal driving.

(Because there's no oil in the engine those first few secojds, and the metal components are grinding against each other without lubrication)