If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Academy Award snubs

Comments

• edited 2012-02-26 18:13:50
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Did she also like Forrest Gump?

And I'm listening to "Man or Muppet" right now. Such a good song 

• Yes. She likes anything with Tom Hanks in it.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Good, then. Forrest Gump is a good movie. 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I'm watching the Red Carpet special, and there's an "only stupid people like Avatar" joke. Heh. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is another film that should probably be nominated for Best Picture.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Red carpet ceremonies: Pointless wankery, or brilliant form of advertising for the designer clothing industry?

• The second one.

• edited 2012-02-26 19:24:54
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

By letting celebrities be seen in their clothing, they reinforce their brands' identity as being for the upper class which allows them to massively overcharge for their clothes! GENIUS

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Quite honestly, I'd like for the Oscars to change to be more all-inclusive and less judgmental about non-traditional film outside their confort zone to better reflect the tapestry that is America and its art.

While I'm dreaming I'd like to get superpowers from a radioactive spider-bite.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Honestly, I think their biggest problem is that people pay too much attention to them. It's a dumb awards show. There are hundreds of the things.

• edited 2012-02-26 19:33:03
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

^^ Morgan Freeman's opening speech is pretty ironic, in this light...

^ Personally, I think the problem is the over-emphasis placed on the Best Picture award.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Yeah, but there's a difference between the MTV Awards and People's Choice Awards and the fucking Oscars.

The big problem is that it's goal is to reward cinematic excellence which is a noble goal, but it doesn't accomplish that at all.

• edited 2012-02-26 19:39:50

It does, though. It simply prioritizes certain kinds of cinematic excellence over other ones.

in other news: Billy Crystal is winning everything right now

Yeah, but there's a difference between the MTV Awards and People's Choice Awards and the fucking Oscars.

Yeah, the Oscars are much more significant than those. They're more on the level of the Golden Globes, which I had to look up just now because I wasn't sure if I had the name right, since I don't think I've heard them mentioned for a few years.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

No, the Golden Globes are considered a joke by everyone, whereas the Oscars are a joke that bumps people's salaries up by at least 5 million dollars.

Is there any reason for the Oscars being taken more seriously, though?

Prestige accumulated over age, I guess?

• edited 2012-02-26 19:45:59
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Hugo just got Best Cinematography and Art Direction. I think I can see where this evening is headed.

The Golden Globes should be considered a joke for no other reason than the fact that The Wire was never nominated.

And Best Art Direction, too. odd...

• I'm not nearly as invested in the Oscars as I was in the Grammys.

What does that say about me?

That you like music more than movies?

• I liked Billy Crystal's opening but I feel like I'll be in a minority.

• You can change. You can.

Is there any reason for the Oscars being taken more seriously, though?

Big names are behind the academy and cast the votes. And they pay for massive advertisement. 

Anyway, I just came from watching The Artist and I enjoyed it a lot. Which leads me to comment this:

It's a jerkoff to how great things were 'back then', back then being a racist era where movies were dominated by white guys in suits. This isn't even a controversial statement. It's the point of the movie.

But the whole freaking point of the movie is that nostalgia and not accepting change fucks your career and that you should learn to accept that the world moves with or without you.

• edited 2012-02-26 19:55:56

Man, Hugo and The Artist are getting a lot of design awards, aren't they?

The Artist just won Best Costume Design, thoguh

No drugs for me tonight!

Aww, poor Billy Crystal. He looks like a confused Christopher Walkens.

Oh look, a montage. Do they ever run out of classic movie footage to use? And gee, that last scene from When Harry Met Sally must've been awkward for families watching at home. 

Yes, tell us more about looking classy, Ms. My-Nipple-Is-Showing.

Costume Design goes to The Artist.

So does The Iron Asshole win Costume and Makeup? Yep!

Oh look, a montage. Do they ever run out of classic movie footage to use?

70 years of history to choose from will do that, I guess. Meryl Streep movie wins Best Makeup? gosh

"No baseball film has ever won Best Picture. Will that change tonight?"

pffffft

• Adam Sandler why can I not stop liking you.

WHY 

• edited 2012-02-26 20:07:31

Holy shit, fucking Newsies is getting a Broadway musical? Who even remembers that movie?

"Because we are an international show" fucking laffo.

And holy shit, she was actually being totally serious about talking in Mandarin Chinese and the audience was cracking up. What total shitheads.

Best Foreign Language Film goes to A Separation, duh

>german accented Mandarin

WHY