If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Academy Award snubs

edited 2012-02-26 14:34:50 in General

Best Gaffer went to Joe Smith. It should have gone to Jack Brown.

Best Extra went to Jane Doe. It should have gone to Jim White.

Best stuntman went to Max Hardpunch. It should have gone to Storm Rockbody

Best intern went to Jennifer Green. It should have gone to Jamie Lee

These are severe injustices that I am angry about.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

--sigh--

metabitching

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Would bitching about metabitching be metametabitching?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

You're right. People clearly shouldn't be bothered about prestige going to vapid films no one gives a shit about while superior films are ignored thanks to arbitrary criteria.

• You can change. You can.

Quite so.

The Help is getting an Oscar.

The Fucking Help

DO YOU KNOW HOW THAT MAKES ME FEEL?

FURIOUS! OUTRAGED!

SICK WITH ANGER!

• I was making fun of the boring, samey articles that appear every year about Oscar snubs in years past, but whatever.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

So is this the main Oscars thread? It is now!

I think that The ArtistHugo, or The Tree of Life should get Best Picture. The former two are about the history of film (and Hollywood loves giving itself a pat on the back, see: The Oscars), not to mention the fact that The Artist winning would give a silent film the first Best Picture win since Wings in 1928. And The Tree of Life is the hyped Important Movie® by an ignored director. I'd be fine with almost any of the other winning, though, with the exception of The Help. If The Help wins I will sigh, shake my head, and buy tickets to go see Red Wings. And continue to be mad that they snubbed Drive. George Clooney will win Best Actor and Rooney Mara Best Actress to make up for no Best Picture nod for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The Tree of Life will get Best Director. Hugo better fucking get Cinematography and Film Editing; the biggest sign that the Academy is a joke tonight is if either of those go to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. And hopefully Rango will get Best Animated Feature.  

>The Artist

>should get Best Picture.

...you know what? No. Because otherwise this entire thread is just going to be me posting reaction macros.

• But you never had any to begin with.

--sigh--

metabitching

DISCLAIMER: Fossilmaiden Industries will not be held liable for any nightmares incurred by the designs of the aforementioned company.

• lol How Green Was My Valley

• edited 2012-02-26 16:04:11
    Champion of the Whales

Academy awards have been dead to me ever since Avatar lost to the Hurt Locker for best film

• edited 2012-02-26 16:16:14
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

...you know what? No. Because otherwise this entire thread is just going to be me posting reaction macros.

But... it's a... good... movie... 

• @Whale Academy Awards have been dead to me ever since Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley for best film.

• I find it amusing that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was critically panned for being manipulative and Oscar bait, yet they took the bait anyway.

• edited 2012-02-26 16:22:15
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^^It's a vapid, soulless jerkoff to how awesome things were back when movies were dominated completely by white men.

As opposed to now when it's only mostly dominated by white men.

^So was The Artist, The Help, The King's Speech, Dances with Wolves, and numerous other academy award nominees and winners.

I mean the Oscars have been a joke run by old white men for awhile but at least it used to be a good show that was a joke.

• I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but I've definitely heard of it and the Maltese Falcon because they're so cinematically important that a lot of people know about them, and I only know about HGWMV because it won the Oscar.

• edited 2012-02-26 16:25:27

There are a lot of Academy Award Pictures no one's going to remember.

I mean which are people still talking about: Benjamin Button or the Dark Knight?

Admittedly the latter has a nerd backing and an upcoming sequel but it's also actually a genuinely great film.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

People are still talking about The Dark Knight?

• ...I liked The King's Speech.

• edited 2012-02-26 16:30:19

^^Yes. Admittedly, more about the Avengers and the Hobbit, but the talk's still there.

^It's not a bad movie. It just does nothing new or anything other films haven't done more competently and the entire thing is a pretty obvious ploy to tug at the strings of the Oscar academy.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Academy awards have been dead to me ever since Avatar lost to the Hurt Locker for best film

That was a good call, if you ask me. 

(in b4 "nobody asked you")

Avatar was a result of James Cameron's film formula. And certainly there are rules that go into making any good piece of media, but too rigid an adherence ensures that a film will be predictable. To me, Avatar was pretentious and moralising while trying to be a combination of an action classic and a an 80s fantasy adventure. It has this way of talking down to the viewer while revelling in intellectually absent action sequences that makes it an entertaining thrill ride steeped in audience-insulting irony. 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

For the record, How Green Was My Valley was actually pretty good. Not better than Citizen Kane, of course, but blame William Randolph Hearst for that one. 

Also, Malkavian, the movie is actually just a film about 1920s Silent Era Hollywood. You might as well say that Hugo is a terrible film because it has few minorities in it. And it's still a better film than Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (TOM HANKS SANDRA BULLOCK AUTISM 9/11!!!!!!!!!!!), Moneyball (which is really nothing more than a well-made, well-acted, fairly good sports movie, which makes it a good film but not really Best Picture material), and War Horse (Easily Spielberg's worst war movie, and that includes 1942). I'm just listing the films I think will win, not the ones that should, in which case Hugo completely sweeps the night. By the way, Drive and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo not even getting nominated for Best Soundtrack is such bullshit it's not even funny.   

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I had fun watching Avatar, but nothing about it particularly stands out as noteworthy to me.

I feel the same about Moneyball.

• edited 2012-02-26 16:44:55

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo shouldn't really be included just on the basis that there's pretty much the same movie out there earlier that's better but Americans ignored it because it had subtitles.

>the movie is actually just a film about 1920s Silent Era Hollywood. You might as well say that Hugo is a terrible film because it has few minorities in it.

It's a jerkoff to how great things were 'back then', back then being a racist era where movies were dominated by white guys in suits. This isn't even a controversial statement. It's the point of the movie.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I thought Avatar was pretty terrible, special effects notwithstanding.

I'm not saying the movie should have been nominated (it was still better than EL&IC though). But neither it nor Drive getting a nom for Best Soundtrack is utterly imbecilic. 

• a little muffled

Avatar was really, incredibly more or less okay.

I liked it better when it was called Ferngully. At least that movie had a rapping Robin Williams.

• My mom liked Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.