If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not-Call of Cthulhu interest check

Comments

• You can change. You can.

On it, actually.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ah, okay.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Editing above post. 

Also, that's roughly 9am on Saturday mornings for me. I think I can do that. 

• edited 2012-02-28 16:52:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, that's great.

Regardging "Basket-Handed Broadswords," nothing close to them seems to be listed under core, so let's just go with the default you have. I'll make up an appropriate damage stat for them :P

• edited 2012-02-28 16:59:06
    You can change. You can.

Oh, also, Spot Hidden is something akin to Perception or something?

Also, I think I'm going to remake the skills list, if you don't mind.

ETA: Of course, I'm going to need your help in order to understand this

• edited 2012-02-28 17:03:56
    Has friends besides tanks now
    So, for an occupation, I suppose maybe my character would be a young engineer, educated at [insert decent local college here].

He gets his work done from day to day and then kicks back with some reading or online RPGs. He also happens to collect funky trinkets when he has the chance.

I have an idea for how he might be aware of strange events, but if you have an idea for how all the characters are to becomeaware of the plot, that would work.
  • edited 2012-02-28 17:15:56

Oh, also, Spot Hidden is something akin to Perception or something?

Pretty much, but note that Listen is its own skill. So just visual perception, really.

Also, I think I'm going to remake the skills list, if you don't mind.

Feel free; what do you have in mind?

@Everest: For an Engineer, the occupation skills are:

• Chemistry (01%)

• Electrical Repair (10%)

• Geology (01%)

• Library Use (25%)

• Mechanical Repair (20%)

• Operate Heavy Machinery (01%)

• Physics (01%)

• One other skill as a personal or era specialty (maybe Computer Use (01%), since a modern engineer might rely on them a lot?)

Feel free; what do you have in mind?

Let's see:

Fast Talk

Handgun

Psychology/Psychoanalisis (If I could have the difference between these, I could choose better. :p)

Spot Hidden

Sneak

Chemistry

Law

Specialty: Persuade

...huh, that was pretty similar to yours. 

• edited 2012-02-28 17:24:13
    Tech support

I'm going to use the professor as my occupation and my skills are

• Bargain (5%)

• Biology (1%)

• Credit Rating (15%)

• History (20%)

• Library use (25%)

• Other Language (1%)

• Persuade (15%)

• Psychology (5%)

Depending on the exact time period within the Victorian era, psychology might have to be changed  or dropped though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm in the Victorian game, huh

can i be a blacksmith please please pleaseeeee

• edited 2012-02-28 18:00:10

Psychology/Psychoanalisis (If I could have the difference between these, I could choose better. :p)

Psychology here refers to the general human capacity to understand other humans' minds to an extent. Psychoanalysis is more like psychotherapy and the field of study of psychology.

Depending on the exact time period within the Victorian era, psychology might have to be changed  or dropped though.

Psychology, being more of an "understanding people" skill, is still in. Psychoanalysis isn't available in this era, though.

can i be a blacksmith please please pleaseeeee

Sure. I'm...not really sure what skills to give it, though :/

Other than Craft (Blacksmithing), of course. Maybe Mechanical Repair and Operate Heavy Machine...I'll think about it.

• No rainbow star
    So say my character wanted to turn on a computer, he currently has a 1% chance?
    No, it's for more advanced stuff. I wouldn't make you roll to breathe either.

Psychology here refers to the general human capacity to understand other humans' minds to an extent. Psychoanalysis is more like psychotherapy and the field of study of psychology.

OK, so psychology it is, then

Decided to do some tweaks:

Fast Talk

Psychology

Listen

Sneak

Chemistry

Law

Bargain

Specialty: Spot Hidden

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Sure. I'm...not really sure what skills to give it, though :/

Neither do I :< But it would make sense, I guess. An intelligent, educated blacksmith.

Hmm...I actually have an idea now. But I'm on my phone, so I'll post it when I have an actual keyboard.
  • edited 2012-02-28 18:35:23

Right. My thoughts on a blacksmith that might have more skills and education:

The industrial revolution, by the 1890s, has put a lot of blacksmiths out of work. What kind, then, would still have jobs? The kind who make expensive things that aren't mass-produced and require a lot of precision. For example, reproductions of historical weapons or armor for aristocrat types. That would add, say, History and possibly Archaeology to the skills set.

Might also mean your character already knows Alex's.

And if I'm working for aristocracy, the intelligence/education will definitely help :V

• edited 2012-02-28 18:39:58

Indeed.

That would probably give you something of a reputation for reliability, so Credit Rating would probably be on there too...lemme see:

• Craft (Blacksmithing) (5%)

• Mechanical Repair (20%)

• Operate Heavy Machinery (01%)

• History (20%)

• Archaeology (01%)

• Credit Rating (15%)

• Two personal specialties of your choice. 

Feel free to dispute some of those :P

If it's all being custom anyway, is there any way I can get something intelligence-related on there? :V

If you mean in terms of being directly modified by the characteristic, skills in CoC don't work like that.

If not, what do you mean?

I mean a skill that requires my brain to work :V

Hmmm...tell ya what. Earlier, I posted the complete list of Victorian-era skills here. What there looks good for your specialties?

I've always had a soft spot for Persuade, but I dunno if it would even be useful.

Otherwise, History/Own Language are also good choices.

Persuade could come up pretty frequently.

I hope so, because I like talking problems and stuff out. Same reason I always pump up Diplomacy in D&D.

Which two will you go with, then?

Persuade/History.

Cool.

Now that a lot of people have that done, I'll move on to the next step.

Take a number of points equal to 20*education, and add them to the bases of those skills. No skill can be higher than 99, and you don't have to allocate points to all of them.

• edited 2012-02-28 19:26:55
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• Craft (Blacksmithing) (5%)- 50 points

• Mechanical Repair (20%) - 30 points

• Operate Heavy Machinery (01%) - 25 points

• History (20%) - 50 points

• Archaeology (01%) - 30 points

• Credit Rating (15%) - 35 points

• Own Language (EDU*5 % = 80%)- 19 points

• Persuade (15%) - 81 points

Bam, 320 points.