If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not-Call of Cthulhu interest check

Comments

• No rainbow star

Blorble HOW DID ALEX GET SUCH GOOD ROLLS!?

• You can change. You can.

Juan, the Lovecraftian setting is one in which magic is evil and science is evil and humanity can never win. It's like a survival horror where your death is inevitable. It's what you do with that time that's given to you. /gandalf

Oh, I knew that. I just tried to guess based on the numbers what I could or could not do. --shrug--

• No rainbow star

Wait, does technology have a chance of causing insanity like magic does in Call of Cthulhu?

• edited 2012-02-21 16:41:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^No, it's more that after a certain point, understanding more about the universe means understanding more about the weirdness of the universe and insignificance of humanity.

Blorble HOW DID ALEX GET SUCH GOOD ROLLS!?

They're not that much better than yours...

In any case, my character's the lazy son of a well-to-do family whose major skill has always been scrounging up money from somewhere. He's bored, though, and is financially set up enough that there's no need to do anything in particular to safeguard his survival. Yet. His only displayable skill has been at fencing, the only activity he ever particularly took to with any sort of academic focus. 

I can work with that ^_^

• No rainbow star

*Tempted to make my character an expy of me* Although strength is off in reference to me if I go that path

And =/ I just realized that I have fairly low sanity. Any way to raise that throughout the game, or am I fucked?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    As I understand it, everyone is fucked in CoC.

Everyone.
  • No rainbow star

Well, I mean fucked as in fucked more roughly

I'm seeing the sanity as equivalent to lube. You're going to get fucked, but how badly you get fucked can change

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sanity can be raised in a few ways. But not at character creation.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Strength- 17
    Constitution- 13
    Power- 13
    Dexterity- 7 D:
    Appearance- 12

Size- 12
    Intelligence- 14

Education- 16 

• edited 2012-02-21 17:00:13
    No rainbow star

In what ways can it be raised?

I'm guessing that staying the hell away from magic and Eldritch Abominations is a good start

^ And I think we have... A strong, clutzy, intelligent person by the looks of that

I'm imagining that roll as my brother for some reason O.o;

Taking a nice relaxing vacation is one.

If one of your skills increases above 90% during the campaign, you get some sanity from the satisfaction of mastering whatever it is.

• You can change. You can.

Anyway, my idea of a character is basically a guy in his late teens (18-19) who just came out of school and is starting a degree in criminalistics and forensic science. His dad is a police officer and his mom is a lawyer, so he lived with a degree of privilege, yet some street smarts thanks to his dad teaching him stuff about police work, from paper work to patrolling. 

does that work? 

• No rainbow star

Oh, I know! My character could be a tech geek who is into the occult, horror, etc. He obsesses over it a bit too much (I'm trying to explain the lower sanity he has with that), so he isn't all there, always thinking about the stuff

Hopefully this would also make him useful at detecting when things are going to go south fast and will make an attempt to get out of there before he ends up eaten or something. I'd probably also make him try to avoid doing something like magic directly, but try to rig machines to do it for him (as an example - I doubt I'll be stupid enough to make him try anything involving magic until his sanity has been raised a bit)

• edited 2012-02-21 17:14:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^That sounds good.

(I'm trying to explain the lower sanity he has with that)

You don't need to. Power kinda represents starting sanity in terms of how inherently strong your character's will is, not in terms of how much sanity he's lost.

Anyway, next up, derived stats. 

• Sanity = Power*5.

• Idea=Intelligence*5

• Luck=Power*5

• Knowledge=Education*5

• Maximum Sanity Points = 99- your Cthulhu Mythos skill (which is 0), and is thus 99.

• Damage bonus depends on Strength plus Size. If it's twelve or less, it's -1d6, if it's 13-16, it's -1d4, if it's 17-24, it's 0, if it's 25-32, it's +1d4, and if it's above that, it's +1d6.

• HP is the average of size and constitution, rounded up if that's a fraction.

• Magic Points = Power

• Sanity Points = Sanity

• edited 2012-02-21 17:16:15
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Sanity = 65 (woo)

Idea = 70 (woo)

Luck = 65 (woo)

Knowledge = 80 (woo)

Max Sanity Points- 99

Damage- +1d4

HP- 13

Magic Points- 13

Sanity Points- 65

HP- what

It's (Constitution+size)divided by 2. If that has a ".5" on the end, just round it up.

• edited 2012-02-21 17:15:43
    No rainbow star

I'd have expected Knowledge to use Education as well...

Sanity 30/99 (...Ouch)
    Idea 50
    Luck 30
    Knowledge 55
    Damage Bonus -1d4
    HP 8/8
    MP 6/6
    SP 30/99

That right?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

13 HP, then.

Shit, typo. Knowledge is education*5 >.>

• No rainbow star

Fixed my knowledge score :D

Anyway, Ica, your stats are wrong because for some reason you listed your characteristics without adding the +6 to size and intelligence and the +3 to education :V

And I think Alex did that too, though I could be wrong and he just got really, really bad rolls for all of those.

Which just bumps me from 70 to 80!

• No rainbow star

...So I don't list base stats? And my stats go off of my base+bonus?

What do you mean "base stats?" The additions are part of the die roll to determine your stats. You listed stats below your base stats for those characteristics.

The +6 and +3 are part of your base stats.

• No rainbow star

I meant that base stats as in before adding the +6 and +3

Sanity 60/99
    Idea 80
    Luck 60
    Knowledge 70
    Damage Bonus +1d4
    HP 14/14
    MP 12/12
    SP 60/99

Better?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I guess I'm joining up, so hey guys.

I'm EST, I have a wildly inconsistent sleep schedule and no job, and very few obligations that I know about ahead of time.

Take that as you will. :V

The reason those stats have numbers added is because it wouldn't make sense or would be really difficult for them to be low. For example, if Size was just a 3d6 roll, you could wind up with a one-foot-tall person, which wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah, that looks right.

Better?

you have more health than me I hate you ;-;

• edited 2012-02-21 17:25:35

Strength = 8

Constitution = 10

Power = 11

Dexterity = 7

Appearance = 11

Size = 12

Intelligence =17

Is it too late to get into the Victorian game?