If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not-Call of Cthulhu interest check

Comments

• No rainbow star
    Question: Do CoC campaigns typically end with everyone either dead or insane, or are there the occasional 'happy' endings (happy as in the terror is merely delayed)?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, you can roll up new characters :P

But yeah, delaying or escaping for a bit is possible, though it's difficult and you won't get out unscathed.

• edited 2012-02-23 16:24:56
    No rainbow star
    "And so, by the end of the campaign, Icalasari had gone through over 50 characters. Everyone else was still on their first"

end of the campaign

Everyone else was still on their first

Hahaha, that's funny.

• No rainbow star
    It's because my constant deaths will make you go easier and easier until you say, "Fuck it, no more deaths. The rerolls are taking up too much time"

And then I achieve another death which makes you go, "WHAT THE HELL!?"

I'm not really going to be deciding when people die or not. The dice and statistics will.

The odds will be against you pretty strongly, though.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Hey, on the bright side, it's not Paranoia!

• No rainbow star
    ^ If I ever play that, my ultimate goal will be to one day end the campaign for everyone before the game starts proper

One of the games I was in had someone get decapitated. By a pineapple. Also nuked a sector with a PDA.

• No rainbow star
    Paranoia sounds like one of those games where if you take it seriously you'll end up killing someone in real life out of pure rage
  • No rainbow star

So what is the news on the start date?

• Has friends besides tanks now

@INUH: Care to brief us on the rules beyond character creation, too?

• edited 2012-02-28 15:25:07
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Still figuring out stuff. It doesn't help that I don't have everyone's schedule.

Out of Malk, Sai, Alex, Delta and Myrm, who'd be available sometime on Friday afternoons, say in the vicinity of 4 PM (that's central time, GMT-6)?

^Sure. Note that I haven't finished going over character creation yet because it involves knowing occupations, which involves knowing who's in what era. Though some people do have their era confirmed, so I'll post the next bit in a bit.

As for actual systems, the system almost entirely uses D% rolls, mostly against skills. Basically, your skill number is your percent chance to succeed.

Combat rounds are done like such:

• Anyone with a gun out and ready to fire gets to shoot in descending order of DEX score

• Everyone else gets to go, in the same order. If a gun can shoot more than once a round, the shots beyond the first are in this category.

Note, though, that I'll be doing the actual skill rolling and stuff, for immersion's sake.

I'll post more information on the next part of character creation next.

That's a viable time for me.

• That time might not work out that well for me. I have class at 6 p.m. central time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I could play but  only for around an hour and a half or so.

Er, sorry, I should mention this, but I edited that to Friday, which I originally meant to put, shortly after posting it >.>

It said Friday when I read it. :P

• Does not make that much of a change. I have a class at the same time on Fridays as well. 

Ah, okay. Good to know.

Delta, I think I'll probably be able to adjust a bit to make that work. Depends on what everyone else has to say.

• I'd be fine on Friday afternoons.

• edited 2012-02-28 16:19:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Excellent.

Anyway, the next step of character creation is figuring out your occupation and its associated skills. Obviously, if you haven't figured out what era you're in for sure yet, that's not going to be possible.

But for the moment, we can get to work on that. For example, Alex posted this:

my character's the lazy son of a well-to-do family whose major skill has always been scrounging up money from somewhere. He's bored, though, and is financially set up enough that there's no need to do anything in particular to safeguard his survival. Yet. His only displayable skill has been at fencing, the only activity he ever particularly took to with any sort of academic focus. 

Your character would fit the "dilettante" occupation listed in the group, which consists of the following skills:

• Art (whatever specialty) (05%)

• Craft (whatever specialty) (05%)

• Credit Rating (15%)

• Other Language (EDU*5%)

• Ride (05%)

• Shotgun (30%)

• and any other two skills, one of which would presumably be foils (20%) or rapiers (10%) (note that increasing one of those increases both anyway since they're so similar).

For new players, the percentages after the skills are what the skills start at before adding to them (more on that later)

As for Juan:

Anyway, my idea of a character is basically a guy in his late teens (18-19) who just came out of school and is starting a degree in criminalistics and forensic science. His dad is a police officer and his mom is a lawyer, so he lived with a degree of privilege, yet some street smarts thanks to his dad teaching him stuff about police work, from paper work to patrolling. 

I'm thinking even though he's still in school, I'd use the "police detective" occupation listing, which consists of:

• Bargain (05%)

• Fast Talk (05%)

• Law (05%)

• Listen (25%)

• Persuade (15%)

• Psychology (05%)

• Spot Hidden (25%)

• And one other skill as a specialty. Presumably something related specifically to forensics, but I'm not sure what to put that under. Any thoughts?

The only other occupation concept I've seen posted was from Ica:

Oh, I know! My character could be a tech geek who is into the occult, horror, etc. He obsesses over it a bit too much (I'm trying to explain the lower sanity he has with that), so he isn't all there, always thinking about the stuff

Might be represented well by the "Hacker/Consultant" package:

• Computer Use (01%)

• Electrical Repair (10%)

• Electronics (01%)

• Fast Talk (05%)

• Library Use (25%)

• Other Language (EDUx5%)

• Physics (01%)

• Any one other skill (I'm thinking Occult (05%)).

Here's the era list as it currently looks like it's going to work out:

Modern:

• Ica

• Juan

• Everest

• CompassionateSadist

Victorian:

• Saigyouji

• Delta

• Myrmidon

• Malk

• Alex

• Cygan 

• You can change. You can.

maaaan and here i thought i could "accidentally" shoot Malk and Alex :(

Bargain (05%)
    Fast Talk (05%)
    Law (05%)
    Listen (25%)
    Persuade (15%)
    Psychology (05%)
    Spot Hidden (25%)
    And one other skill as a specialty. Presumably something related specifically to forensics, but I'm not sure what to put that under. Any thoughts?

I can choose any of these as my specialty or is it from another list of skills entirely?

It's from the full list of skills, which is...really long. I was hoping to avoid typing it out; do you have a general idea of what you'd want it to be?

• No rainbow star
    I have no classes at all Fridays :D

And wait, computer use is at 1%? So I only have a 1% chance at being able to use a computer?

I can't be understanding that right
  • You can change. You can.

Well, the idea is pretty much a young detective. Don't you have a link where I can look this up, anyway?

• edited 2012-02-28 16:47:40
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alrighty, INUH, I'll go with your suggestion. 

• Art (Writing) (05%)

• Craft (Leatherwork [mostly for book covers and bindings]) (05%)

• Credit Rating (15%)

• Other Language (Middle High German) (55%)

• Ride (05%)

• Shotgun (30%)

• Rapier (10%)

• Basket-hilted broadsword (10%) -- correct me on this one if it isn't applicable, or if all steel sword skills tie in. 

Sawn-off in one hand.

Rapier in the other. 

The forces of darkness can come and get me. >:D

@Ica:A character who hasn't allocated skill points only has a 1% chance. These are the 8 skills you get the most points between.

@Juan: I don't have a link to the rules, but if you want a character sheet with the list of skills on it, those are here. You'll want the modern one, the Victorian people will want the "by gaslight" one.

@Alex: You get one more of your choice. You can find the full list on the "by gaslight" character sheet on that link I gave Juan. Also, are you able to make it on Fridays at 4 PM (US Central time, AKA GMT-6)?

• edited 2012-02-28 16:44:32
    You can change. You can.

>Download requires log-in

that's problematic

ETA: Ah well, I'll see what I can do.

Whoops.

Can you not make an account?