If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• edited 2012-06-02 01:42:18

"Batman Annual 1: Okay I'm of two minds here. So on the one hand Snyder is a great writers with solid characters, great action, realizes his ideas well yadda yadda. After American Vampire and The Court of Owls he doesn't get points for that. The thing is I dislike taking the tragedy and nuance out of Mr. Freeze and replacing him with a delusional murderer. Granted, he wasn't a character you could tell so many stories with but I'd rather have those few fantastic ones than numerous mediocre ones. So basically, it's a good story, but I disagree with the principles."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Pretty much what I thought.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, apparently along with coming out of the closet, Alan Scott is no longer weak to wood.

That...really shouldn't be as funny as it is.

• You can change. You can.

Man, jokes like that seem to come out of the woodwork these days. 

so how're you liking Robinson's writing? (If you're reading the JSA anyway)

So, I picked up Mega Man 1-4, since I'd heard it was good.

Um...

Is this actually a series published by Archie Comics for little kids?! Is writing even allowed to be this good under those circumstances?

• edited 2012-06-02 23:57:14
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Archie comics has been surprisingly progressive and high-minded towards storytelling. There was an entire arc about a gay man who who enlisted in the army after Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed. It's still Disney-chastity, but that's the point isn't it?

In any case, as I've said Megaman is that it's Philip K. Dick for kids.

Also, what I like is the fact that Rock views his capacity for violence as a burden. He genuinely doesn't want to hurt anyone and looks for any other solution and he sees any time he has to use violence as a failure.

Most 'adult' comics don't have protagonists that interesting.

There was an entire arc about a gay man who who enlisted in the army after Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed

I just kinda assumed that was a publicity stunt >.>

Also, what I like is the fact that Rock views his capacity for violence as a burden. He genuinely doesn't want to hurt anyone and looks for any other solution and he sees any time he has to use violence as a failure.

Yeah, the characterisation is really strong for everyone except Wily.

Anyway, I just found out that the first issue of the original swamp thing run is free, so I read that. I liked it, though the storytelling style of the time was quite different. I think I'll pick up more of it (and other stuff, I guess) with whatever money I get fo my birthday.
  • edited 2012-06-03 03:22:55

You know, reviewing the New 52, I have to say that they're not really integrating the DC and Wildstorm universes well; most of it is just one DC character on a team with mostly Wildstorm characters, and vice-versa. 

How about Fuji or Winter in the League? They're both straight-arrow, honorable, compassionate people who want to do good in the world. Or some of the Gen13 or DV8 kids with the Titans? Hell, why not bring back the Kherans, but as the alien race that solely inspired angels instead of many other mythologies (including Olympian gods), with Zauriel, Maul, Majestros, among their number?

I'm mostly just spit-balling here. 

• Juan: There have been stories that have implied that Vandal Savage was the Biblical Cain, made immortal by his curse from God. But the being from I, Vampire seems to be an unrelated creature that just happens to be NAMED Cain. 

Saying that, the idea of the Biblical Cain being the first vampire is old ground, tread on by many writers in the past. 

• edited 2012-06-03 19:15:53
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Okay, so playing through Arkham City made me really want to start reading the comics. 

Is the start of the New 52 reboot/relauch/rewhateverthefuck a good place to start for a newcomer?

Also, I'm finally starting Planetary.  :V

Is the start of the New 52 reboot/relauch/rewhateverthefuck a good place to start for a newcomer?

Yeah, that's the whole point, actually.

The only titles I would recommend, though are:

*Batman

*Wonder Woman

*Justice League Dark

*Animal Man

*Demon Knights

*Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E

*The Flash

I've heard good things about Swamp Thing but I've yet to find the first issue

Also, I'm finally starting Planetary. :V

ooh ooh keep us posted

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Yeah, that's the whole point, actually.

I know it was the point, but I didn't know how good a starting point it actually turned out to be.  Or what's actually any good.  :V

Thanks though, I'll check it out.

ooh ooh keep us posted

twelve pages in

some stuff is happening

i'm interested to see what's up

The four I'd recommend starting off with are batman, swamp thing, animal man and demon knights.

Animal man and swamp thing are essentially one story.

twelve pages in

some stuff is happening

i'm interested to see what's up

ooh ooh did you see the helicopter do like woosh and then did you see like elijah snow drinking dog piss

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

ooh ooh did you see the helicopter do like woosh and then did you see like elijah snow drinking dog piss

and then mr snow and the drummer and the hot chick who kicks rhinos went into a cave and there was this guy and they were all omgwtf and the guy was like shut up assholes i'm talking

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Wonder Woman's the best she's ever been though there are still some problems like the fact that Diana still doesn't have a concrete character but the supporting characters are strong enough to make up for it.

• edited 2012-06-03 19:37:47
    You can change. You can.

and then and then like the universe folded upon them and it was an snowflake and then the justice league came out and they were like woosh, right

^I still say that it's weird I'm liking an Azzarello title.

and then and then like the universe folded upon them and it was an snowflake and then the justice league came out and they were like woosh, right

and then and then and then

and then he's like this place is weird and she's like i like weird places

and then sunset

It does us good to have our genitals frozen into small blue dead things.

omgomgomg

The Gojira homage is a great issue. Then again, I think Planetary's the only series I can say that never truly faltered when it came to homages and parodies.

^^^Azzzarello is on and off for me. It's safe to say if he ever writes Batman I won't like it.

You read "Joker", huh?

I think the only Azzarello story I could ever get behind was Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, and to be honest I think it's just because the art was very striking the first time and I read it when I was 14. One Hundred Bullets was an interesting idea bogged down by a really stupid myth arc, which also lost its appeal as it went by and the questions it asked at first were drowned by Azzarello's need to ask himself "Hey, let's see how depraved we can get?!" 

I don't think I've ever read much besides that and Hellblazer, which I won't judge because I vaguely recall that at best and I definetly know I don't like usually like him.

I think Azzarello was the guy who made Constantine rape a dog.

So yeah.

So six issues into Planetary.  I'm definitely enjoying it a lot so far.

I'ma take a break and start some Batman though.

So what did you think of the Four?

• edited 2012-06-03 21:09:10
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    They just got introduced, so I don't know much past the origin story, but I'm intruiged.

Are they supposed to basically be the evil Fantastic Four?
  • Yes, plus a dash of the Challengers of the Unknown and mixed with some other heroic dynasties.

Pretty much. They even got their powers on the same year that the first Fantastic Four comic was released. 

• That is a neat touch that I didn't know about.

Indeed. Speaking of the Fantastic Four, I just read 604. And I cried manly tears. Tears that would make any boy grow hair on his chest. Tears that would make a girl grow a beard the size of Merlin's.