If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Who Would Win General Discussion

Comments

• No rainbow star
    Kirby vs Galactus in an eating contest. Not speed eating (Galactus kind of wins that one due to sheer size. Then again, it IS Kirby...). Just sheer volume engulfed before being full
  • Alkthash: Ha, I can imagine it now.

"You might be a better archer, but you will never know happiness."

"Aw, noooo..."

Kirby can only hold only one individual object at a time. Galactus can eat entire planets. No contest. 

The Grim Reaper vs. Cronus.

• No rainbow star

^ Actually, in one game he can hold two or three items for mixing, suggesting that the limitation is merely a game mechanic and that Kirby could likely hold more items in his body at once. Combined with it never changing his shape and the fact that he can suck in more stuff after swallowing, and you had a curious me

• I'm a damn twisted person

Eh all the natterings about Kirby being super deadly and an infinite devourer strike me as the kind of thing fans who insist stuff like Transformers or MLP aren't just kids cartoons would do.

• edited 2013-03-13 04:22:51
    smote

Hank Pym vs The Doctor

While it's true that Hank's much more capable than he's given credit for, the Doctor is basically a god.

Spider-Dude. Unless Bruce is backing up Terry with strategy shit

I think that can be taken as a given as much as having the bat-suit on him can.

I'm gonna go with Terry, if only because I imagine it playing out like his fight against the Joker. But Spidey's power level and resources vary widely enough that it's difficult to say for sure.

• edited 2013-03-13 09:45:12
    No rainbow star
    ^^ Well Kirby is fairly deadly but I'd say that's more because of his copy ability. Anything that can copy its foe tends to be fairly powerful no matter the media (Ditto being an exception)

Still wish I knew just what his eating limits are. He has to have a limit

Unless he's a sentient black hole but that seems a LITTLE dark for the source material

While it's true that Hank's much more capable than he's given credit for, the Doctor is basically a god.

To counter that point, how many times has Hank helped beat people like Loki?

• A orcish peon from Warcraft, a imp from Dungeon Keeper and a dwarf miner from Dwarf Fortress have been given a task. There are three gold mines, all basically clones of each other to the dust. They are each given a mine to themselfs. They are tasked with mining the gold. Who will be the first to deplete their mine?

• Eh all the natterings about Kirby being super deadly and an infinite devourer strike me as the kind of thing fans who insist stuff like Transformers or MLP aren't just kids cartoons would do.

Well, the whole grimdark aspect of it (neverending hunger, and consumption of all matter) certainly is. But Kirby is still some sort of being whose purpose is to defeat an assortment of evil galactic super-entities.

• Definitely not gay.

Eating contest, not punch-out contest.

• When it comes to Kirby, both are strongly related. Still, Galactus wins because while Kirby would have no problem matching the amount of matter consumed, it'd take him years to eat as much as Galactus does in a day.

• Definitely not gay.

Note that it always takes the intervention of a cosmic artifact for Kirby to be able to defeat cosmic entities. 

• Master Chief vs. Marcus Fenix.

Space marine battle to the death.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Who the heck is Marcus Fenix?

Mythological Thor vs Marvel Thor
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^I think he's the Gears of War guy.
  • I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

^^Mythological Loki outtrolls Marvel Loki.

Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great. To add a twist and make them both hilariously inept, both command 18th century armies (pre-French Revolution), of exactly the same strength and make-up.

• You can change. You can.

Mythological Thor vs Marvel Thor

Marvel Thor is not a God, just a dude with really fancy technology and bigger mass than humans (Comics!!) so gonna go with Myth Thor.

Granted we never knew if Myth Thor needs to breathe. Marvel Thor just flies around in space all the time. Grab other Thor and fly up into space.

As for him being an explicit god or just a powerful alien... Marvel is all over the place on that really.

• Marvel Thor is not a God, just a dude with really fancy technology and bigger mass than humans (Comics!!) so gonna go with Myth Thor.

Nordic Gods weren't really all that powerful in the deity scale, I'd say it depends on Marvel Thor's writer.

• I'm pretty sure he is, Juan. 

I mean, science just can't explain killing different permutations of giant snakes over and over and dying over and over.

• edited 2013-03-14 02:33:19

Going back to something from the first page: why would Cthulhu beat Zeus? The Call of Cthulhu (the story, I mean, not the RPG or movie) was really, really vague about what he could actually do. I guess he would've been able to destroy the world, but he also was forced back into hibernation because a guy rammed a boat into his head. I also remember someone (on another site, not sure where) raising a point that mankind might have had nothing that could really harm him back when the story was written, but people didn't have nuclear weapons back then.

So uh, more relevant to Cthulhu than Zeus. (No, I haven't read any of the Cthulhu mythos stuff that wasn't written by Lovecraft himself)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Call of Cthulhu (the story, I mean, not the RPG or movie) was really, really vague about what he could actually do. I guess he would've been able to destroy the world, but he also was forced back into hibernation because a guy rammed a boat into his head.

Because the essential point of Lovecraftian monsters is that they're so freaking different from humanity that the concept of 'death' may as well be meaningless to them. Merely seeing them usually causes people to go insane.

• edited 2013-03-14 02:32:55
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

he also was forced back into hibernation because a guy rammed a boat into his head

No, as I understand it, he went back into hibernation because the stars were only kind of right-ish for a bit, and he wasn't able to wake up fully. The boat ramming into his head caused him to have to take a moment to put himself back together, which is why the guy didn't die.

people didn't have nuclear weapons back then

In the RPG, this is actually specifically covered. He comes back radioactive.

• In the RPG, this is actually specifically covered. He comes back radioactive.

The RPG is hardly an official source. The Cthulhu story is set in a low magic and low tech setting, so many of the comparisons that are often made to it are kind of silly, and prone to the "no upper limit" kind of thinking.

There's also this thing where, if something is very hard to completely eliminate, then it's very hard to defeat. Like plastic man, the fact that he reformed after 3000 years of being obliterated doesn't mean he wasn't very much obliterated for 3000 years, that's a defeat in my eyes, at least.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No, as I understand it, he went back into hibernation because the stars were only kind of right-ish for a bit, and he wasn't able to wake up fully. The boat ramming into his head caused him to have to take a moment to put himself back together, which is why the guy didn't die.

But Johansen had not given out yet. Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance; and, setting the engine for full speed, ran lightning-like on deck and reversed the wheel. There was a mighty eddying and foaming in the noisome brine, and as the steam mounted higher and higher the brave Norwegian drove his vessel head on against the pursuing jelly which rose above the unclean froth like the stern of a daemon galleon. The awful squid-head with writhing feelers came nearly up to the bowsprit of the sturdy yacht, but johansen drove on relentlessly. There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler could not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where - God in heaven! - the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam.

Then, at the end of the short story:

Cthulhu still lives, too, I suppose, again in that chasm of stone which has shielded him since the sun was young. His accursed city is sunken once more, for the Vigilant sailed over the spot after the April storm; but his ministers on earth still bellow and prance and slay around idol-capped monoliths in lonely places. He must have been trapped by the sinking whilst within his black abyss, or else the world would by now be screaming with fright and frenzy. Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men. A time will come - but I must not and cannot think! Let me pray that, if I do not survive this manuscript, my executors may put caution before audacity and see that it meets no other eye.

• So uh, is there anything from Lovecraft's own writing that tells us how a Great Old One would fair against another "cosmic" being?

• No rainbow star
    ^ By the looks of it, Great Old Ones can at least be stunned by a human
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    The great old ones tend to leave each other alone. Although, even they would rather Azathoth stay asleep.
  • edited 2013-03-15 12:28:10

^^ A human on a boat! I find the idea of The Lonely Island vs. Cthulhu kind of amusing.

^ Yeah but, Azathoth is on a totally different level.

So, I guess I can't really say what portrayal of their power level is too high or too low then. Like say, Ghatanothoa's portayal in Ultraman Tiga. On one hand, nobody turned into mummies just by looking at him, but on the other, he took Ultraman's strongest attacks like they were absolutely nothing.

By the looks of it, Great Old Ones can at least be stunned by a human

Okay, look, dude. You're going to try and place consistent effects on a Great Old One? On a Lovecraftian monster? On a monster that's pretty much designed to be never understood by any human ever?

Look, there's a simple way to look at it. "If you face a Great Old One and you're not some super-dooper insane being who stretches across multiple dimensions simultaneously and is so different to humanity that you literally cannot comprehend them ever, then you're fucked. Unless they want to toy with you, in which case you're so far beyond fucked it's kinda hilarious."

So, I guess I can't really say what portrayal of their power level is too high or too low then.

If it's in question, generally you can consider it "too low".