If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT Alex assigns IJMBers weapon fighting styles.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Oh, this is bizarre even for me. xD

Times awake:

- Morning
    - Night

Times asleep:

- Afternoon
  • You got some sunlight, at least.
    @TheConductor

The humble backsword, a Scottish favourite. After the longsword went out of fashion, this became the primary war sword across Europe, but nobody wielded it quite like the Scottish. Contrary to its looks, it's actually single-bladed; there's a subtle wedge shape to the blade's cross-section, allowing it to deliver hacking cuts more deeply than your average one-handed sword. The Scottish system of single combat has particularly nasty footwork to learn, but it becomes very effective for the purpose of circling your adversary, making the Scottish backsword style a bit better than most for one-on-one engagments, whether as a duel, on the street or as a lucky break in a swirling melee.

The basket hilt also makes a great punching tool. Trust the Scottish, eh?
    @Shichibukai

I'm on a bit of a single-edge binge lately, eh? The falchion is Europe's favourite single-edged sword during the Middle Ages, descended from the Saxon seax tool/weapon and the German messer. Like  its younger sibling, the backsword, the falchion has a brutal, wedged blade for undoing bone as easily as flesh. You want a falchion when you want a measure of sword versatility combined with the power of an axe, but expect to pay for that. Compared to other European swords, the falchion is somewhat thick and heavy for a one-handed weapon, so make that acceleration count. On the other hand, chainmail doesn't have shit on this.

The falchion's other main advantage is its coolness. Lookatit.
    @Forzare

The mace is unfairly considered a brutish weapon, when it is in fact quite clever and was highly considered in its time. Descended from rimmed and spiked clubs, the flanged mace's protrusions carried large amounts of force and condensed them into small areas of impact, thereby making it especially effective against heavy armours. While not particularly versatile, it's a well-tested design that remained popular as long as there were knights to beat into a pulp. You'll also be glad to know that it's especially effective against the undead, setting you up for a potential vampire-slaying, skeleton-smashing future. For added effectiveness, dip in garlic sauce.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Awesome. I am quite clever.

I approve.
  • edited 2011-10-17 18:37:47
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    @PrincessApricot

The smallsword is what a fencing foil would be, if a fencing foil were truly deadly. It's often erroneously believed that the rapier is the inspiration for that sporting tool, when that is in fact too heavy. Most one-handed weapons are slower and less easily controlled than their two-handed equivalents, but this bucks the trend. Its light weight and excellent balance makes it lightning-quick, although don't expect to cut deep. You'll want to thrust or draw cut your way to victory. No other weapon was so fashionable in its time; even the rapier was somewhat snubbed by the longsword-wielding old guard, but the lack of armour in the barely pre-modern era meant that heavier blades were not necessary. As a result, this weapon flourished as both a fashion statement as a practical tool of self-defense. Just don't think you can take to the battlefield with this, okay, princess?
  • No rainbow star
    "Most one-handed weapons are slower and less easily controlled than their one-handed equivalents"

Fix'd.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    You skipped Inuh and me. =(
    Nah, the princess tried to skip line with a second request. Her first one was much earlier.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Ah alright. Carry on then.
    Don't mind if I do!

@Kinkajou

The miao dao, East Asia's gift to the world. Sure, it kinda just looks like an oversized katana, but that's not half the story. Wielding this particular weapon is a little complex, even for sword arts. The off hand supports the blade from the back at times so as to most easily deal with the length of the weapon. This means that practitioners of the miao dao often switch between two-handed and one-handed strikes right off the cuff, making the martial art underpinning this weapon some bizarre combination of longsword, sabre and kenjutsu. Indeed, the weapon's original smith, whose name escapes me right now, learned kenjutsu as a prelude to developing the martial art that informs this weapon. He went on to kill very many Japanese pirates.

Go kill pirates, Kinkajou, with my blessing.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Hmmm...so you are including non-European weapons. I wonder what the odds are that I'll get my favorite weapon.

No, I'm not telling what it is. No, it's not something really obvious like a katana.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:05:07
    Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

Ahh yes, the Falchion. Such a good gut-messer. :D

• I'd be amused if I got my favorite, but my favorite is a knife type.
    I'm trying to keep the choices reasonably balanced. If you get a knife, it'll be like Juan, where his dagger was paired with another weapon.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • So, what's your thought process here, Alex?
    Honestly, it's pretty much "what weapon do I see this person with in my head/excelling at, if they were an ally of mine in Medieval IJBM?".

Sometimes there are a few further considerations -- Juan's was born as a result of watching The Princess Bride together, for instance -- but that's basically it.

Medieval IJBM needs to be a thing.
    Aye.

Also, as everyone's probably observed, I'm not doubling up on weapons (unless it's a set of two, where you might share one element with another poster).
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    *Waits patiently for sweet loot.*
  • I'm actually really interested in knowing, since I might get a chance to foamcraft it, so I can use it during LARP. :3
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:40:36
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I should foamcraft myself a mace, just so I can dip it in garlic sauce and go around whacking my friends and family with it.
    Don't make me think I'm halfway influential or anything. Next thing you know, I'll be fantasising about putting together a Medieval IJBM A-Team with over a dozen members. We fight crime. <_<
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I should foamcraft myself a mace, just so I can dip it in garlic sauce and go around whacking my friends and family with it.

out of context that would be whacked out
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:43:23
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    You had me at Medieval IJBM A-Team.

^ o u
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >Next thing you know, I'll be fantasising about putting together a
    Medieval IJBM A-Team with over a dozen members. We fight crime.
    <_<

Go killing pirates and whatnot in the name of the Empra Khorne The Queen for the sheer hell of it.

Fuck. Yes.

• edited 2011-10-17 19:47:53
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Whatever I get, it ought to be light, partly so I can reasonably boff with it, and partly because it would make sense for a scrawny little bitch like me to not have anything too heavy.

>Medieval IJBM A-Team

Me gusta.