If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT Alex assigns IJMBers weapon fighting styles.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Whatever I get, it ought to be light, partly so I can reasonably boff with it, and partly because it would make sense for a scrawny little bitch like me to not have anything too heavy.

bitch mine is better than yours
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Heh. I've done a bit of strength training, but I'm by no means a huge guy, and I can wield greatswords just fine.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:57:33
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I've handled swords before. They feel heavy, but they're still pretty easy to swing around.

And this is coming from a guy who's barely 5'3''.
    Swords have a kind of balance that takes time to get used to. Most are between 600g and 1.8kg, so not particularly heavy. Once you're used to their particular flavour of balance, though, a good sword handles gorgeously, like you're swinging around air that materialises as steel at the point of impact.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Ah...? Twin Dao!/guess the reference.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I still see myself as more of someone who fights dexterously and with quick strikes or something.
    > dextrously and with quick strikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc&list=FLKIm-JOSw4r2X7KsrRNGMzA&index=54

Have some longsword/greatsword video.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Duly noted. Hm. I meant . . . well, you probably know what I mean.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    For added effectiveness, dip in garlic sauce.
    Does Papa John's garlic butter sauce count?
    Only against lactose intolerant vampires.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -is currently ninth in line-

Well, at least I'm learning while I wait.
  • You can change. You can.
    Sometimes there are a few further considerations -- Juan's was born as a result of watching The Princess Bride together, for instance -- but that's basically it. 

You make it sound way cutesier than it was >:|
    ... no, I don't think I am. xD
  • Ooh, I'm curious. Me please?
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.

:D

It's perfect!
  • Permission to join the queue?

Something exotic, please.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-18 15:21:11
    ALEX DOES NOT DO REQUESTS!

/does not know if Alex does requests.
  • I'm interested. Sign me up, if there's a queue or something.
    I soooorta do requests. I keep them in mind, at least. But it's no guarantee. For instance, Kinkajou requested something "interesting". An oversized Chinese katanasabrething seems pretty pedestrian, but the martial techniques that underpin it are really intriguing, so I went for it.
    @IanExMachina

The humble Saxon single-hander is a pre-Migration Period version of the transitional single-handers and, eventually, the arming swords of the true Medieval period. So it seems kind of lame, but it's not. Consider its context; it was a long-bladed steel sword in an era where even the Romans generally used iron weapons rather than true steel. What steel the Romans used was actually imported from what is today Austrian territory, from Germanic tribes. Yep, that's right. When the Romans were still using iron, the Germanics (and Celts) were already using complex steel forging techniques to create some of the best swords history has ever known. Essentially? These are the first true steel swords; the Roman gladius' design was based on the limitations of iron, ensuring its short length.

Also, Germanic migrationy-era swords inspired the designs for the swords of the Rohirrim, which is way cool.
  • Mine is next/near.

Take all time needed. o3o
    @AHR

This is the kriegsmesser. It is the closest thing the Europeans ever had to a katana, except it's larger and hardier. Descended from the single-handed messer, which is in turn descended from the seax, this is something like longsword-meets-sabre. It seems the Germans in particular had a fondness for swords, and their variations, as there was no other place in Europe that saw such diversity in design. Happily, we have this weapon to attest to that, for when a messer doesn't quite cut it and a longsword is too namby-pamby. Keep in mind the near lack of pommel and the thinness of the crossguard, however. If the longsword is about versatility, this weapon is katana-like in its optimisation for the cut.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. IT'S GOT A PIRATE CURVE ~<3
    ... glad you like it. xD
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-18 16:49:55
    For the record, the knife I liked that I mentioned previously was a kukri knife

So, yeah, I like curvy things. They look cool.
    Have I been served yet?  I think I got skipped.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Mine looks very stabby!
  • edited 2011-10-18 16:53:17
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ No, you just think that 'cause I'm dragging my arse. I think you're up pretty soon, though.

^ Yeah, it's got a pretty decent taper for such an early sword form. Most early swords were generally cutting weapons, but it was Germanic initiatives in design that eventually allowed the later Medieval thrusting swords to flourish.
    Oh, it's just a backlog.

Carry on, then.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -is now seventh in line-

-taps foot a bit-