If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT Alex assigns IJMBers weapon fighting styles.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    -glares up meaningfully from parchment and quill-
  • No rainbow star
    I forget which place in line I am :D
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    That is a cool sword, Alex.

Ironic, though, given that I am a pirate... sort of.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free!  You are a pirate!

YARR YARR FIDDLE-DEE-DEE
    BEING A PIRATE IS ALL RIGHT WITH ME
    DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE
    YOU ARE A PIRATE
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    This dropped to the third page D:
    I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there.
  • With some luck, i'll get something stabbier than my bare fists.
    I think it's DYRE, then Chagen, then me, and we're still on the first page as for queue.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    No, Icalascari and I are next.
    Oh, I thought you'd already been served.  My mistake.
  • I don't mind, I can wait a looooooong time. I'll probably get something generic.

Not that there's anything wrong with generic.

I mean, it's generic for a reason, right? RIGHT?

Generics are less expensive.
    And perhaps more versatile; the arming sword and longsword are almost as generic as they come, but perhaps the most deadly in the correct hands.
  • Reporting for duty!  Requesting armaments!
  • I know my stuff about medieval weapons. I could possibly help.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    What about me, Sir Alex?
    @Icalasari

The sword, buckler and funny hairstyle. Contrary to popular belief, this combination wasn't restricted to civilian violence and duels, but was used in war as well. See, a standard shield must be made of wood, as it's too large to be viable as a steel implement. The smaller buckler, however, can be entirely made of steel and therefore makes it superior in close combat given skillful hands. Under the German perspective, bucklers and single-swords were wielded as a single "unit" and were only separated when necessary or beneficial. Therefore, your buckler travels with your sword as you strike and defend, only moving away when it proves advantageous. A versatile, later Medieval combination that makes for brilliant self-defense.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Oh my, their faces.
  • Huh?  Oh... Go on then, let's see what I get. >.>
    @Neo_Crimson

I can see that you're a man who appreciates brutality, Neo. So have this:

The zweihander is evidence that Germans have an enviable sense of hyperbole. It's like a longsword, but more. If the longsword is where swords meet short polearms, the zweihander is where they meet large ones. With a large riccasso and a secondary crossguard courtesy of the blade spikes, one can lengthen the fulcrum force with a sort of secondary hilt function. In layman's terms, that means you can hit hard without committing extra physical strength to the blow. Historically speaking, zweihanders were the favoured sword type of the German landsknechte, elite mercenaries who flattened all other infantry -- including the elite Swiss pikemen, who were otherwise the terror of Central Europe.

The zweihander, ladies and gentlemen. An eloquent and graceful design channelled into pure brutality.
  • edited 2011-10-23 19:07:06
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    @DYRE

This is an estoc. A variation on the longsword, its blade is entirely blunt save for the tip. The rational is that it's a thrusting weapon with a diamond-shape cross-section (as opposed to the usual hexagonal-shaped one) designed to support powerful thrusts. This is a battlefield weapon meant to get into the gaps of armour or puncture unarmed foes from a distance. If the lack of a sharpened edge worries you, you're not out of striking options; flip it in your hands and wield it by the blade. In exactly the same way as a longsword, the estoc can be used to deliver crushing blunt force attacks with the pommel and crossguard. This weapon is thought to be the cerebral precursor to the rapier in two-handed weapon format, although the rapier still included a cutting edge.
  • :D  Cool!

Also, I like that I got a stabby sword, since I used to do épée fencing.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I was expecting some sort of axe, but BY KHORNE THAT IS GLORIOUS.
  • It would be nice to see what mine is. Princess Apricot assigned me one but I'm curious what Alex would say.
    I should probably inspect the armament the princess gave you. She means well, but is a little inexperienced yet.
  • Ahaha, alright~. I believe it was somewhere up above not too far. XD
  • No rainbow star
    ...That weapon is perfect for me :D

Isn't the buckler itself also used as a weapon, able to be bashed into the foe to get them further away?
    Or just break their nose. Your call, really.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ You can do both at the same time :3