If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Little Pony: Friendship Just Bugs Me

Comments

• Not Chagen. There's another with a diaper fetish, but they don't go on about it all the time.

• Let's not bring Chagen into this.  Please.

For the love of God, please.

• He's not who I meant anyway, so I'm fine with that.

...so I wonder, can Twilight levitate like Pumpkin Cake can?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-18 23:20:53

I'd take the Littlepip approach to that, like maybe levitating yourself is possible, but considerably harder than an external object.  A unicorn foal might manage it while their magic is still going bonkers.

So Twilight could, but not for a particularly long duration.

• I remember talking about this on a thread after the episode. There were a number of decent explanations possible, but there's a lot about Twilight's use of magic that doesn't make sense if it's assumed that she can perform any of her spells at any given point in time, so it might be best to try to explain all of it at once.

Maybe the most confusing thing is her refusal to teleport in many dangerous situations. It's possible that it's very difficult to control teleportation in frightening situations. The only times I recall her doing so were both when charging Nightmare Moon and when getting mobbed for her gala ticket. In the former instance, it seemed to give her a headache and it's not certain whether she'd know it would work. In the later situation, she didn't even seem to know what she was doing. In contrast, she teleports like a motherfucker in Applebuck Season, and she's in a normal state there. To explain why she didn't teleport away from, say, the hydra, it might be that she didn't happen to prepare the spell on that day, or that teleportation under duress was riskier than a fall at terminal velocity or simply impossible at that range. There's also the time when she was hanging from a cliff. Teleportation could've been handy there. 

It could also be the case that self-telekinesis is dangerous, and it's not practiced by adults or children who know better for that reason. Or, that babies can have stronger magic, with maybe less control over it. Maybe it causes a lot of disorientation or burns through magic too fast to be viable normally. Unicorns just don't seem to have any well-known spell that protects them from an unprepared fall.

Of course there's no way to know if something is true unless we see it in the show, and they can say anything they want and make it canon, but my assumption is that magic is tied to an emotional state in some way given what we've seen.

• edited 2012-01-19 09:34:58
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Well, Twilight did have a line about how baby unicorns have weird magic stuff, I think.  And yeah, I always kind of assumed that it was a lot harder to do when stressed, except by accident, or something.

Unrelated, but awesome:

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
  • This had to be one of my favorite episodes. So much greatness.

They must have been deliberately trolling the fans with the stagecoaches somehow being faster than running or flying unburdened. I kind of love it.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It was definitely one of the better episodes.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>Derpy is actually called Derpy.

>She gets a speaking role.

• It was pretty great.

I wonder who Ditzy Doo is. Maybe that was just an insulting nickname Dash gave her...
  • edited 2012-01-21 21:14:25
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Best episode ever.
  • ^^ Except it was some other pony who said that.

• Oh yeah, guess that wouldn't make so much sense then.

Ditzy Doo is probably just a different pony now.

• Which means there are two retarded pegasi wrecking shit up for Ponyville.

My god.
  • I realized yesterday that there is a fairly high chance that if I actually watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for more than 10 minutes, I might actually like it.  This is causing me some concern.  Hopefully it'll turn out that I don't end up liking it and that my fears were unjustified.

That's the spirit.
  • edited 2012-01-23 01:26:38
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Ha, my headcanon was only half-jossed.

Original headcanon: Most ponies call her as "Derpy" because of her antics, but nopony has ever referred to her as such in her presence, out of a (misplaced) fear that she'd find the nickname insulting.

New headcanon: You'd think she would find the nickname insulting, but she doesn't seem to mind it.

vNot that I mind either way; it's just something that made sense to me.

• ^^^Well we certainly can't be enjoying things.

^In a culture where Filthy Rich and Ditzy Doo are acceptable names, that's not convincing.
  • Late to the party, but Derpy actually being named Derpy... I lol'd.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-22 16:30:24

Loved it.  And about fucking time we had an Applejack episode.

Anyone who feels like they need to tarp it over their headcanon will just say "Derpy" is Ditzy's old flight school nickname.  That's actually popped up in fanfiction several times long before this episode.

No, it's going to be harder to explain her personality for the ones who aren't writing her as Downs Pony.  Maybe...she just got really, really stoned that day?  ...On muffins?

I suspect the fandom will have a field day, however, with Pinkie Rage.

In other news, Bubbles is more canon compliant today than it was two days ago.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-22 16:38:01

Today Bubbles.  Tomorrow A Place Only We Know.  D:

There was also Dinky in the town hall audience next to a vaguely father-looking figure.

In other news, Town Hall gets its money after all.

• edited 2012-01-22 16:39:57

You were right about the Pinkie Rage.

• I realized yesterday that there is a fairly high chance that if I actually watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for more than 10 minutes, I might actually like it.  This is causing me some concern.  Hopefully it'll turn out that I don't end up liking it and that my fears were unjustified.

Do it. If you watch it and don't like it, your consciousness will be at peace. If you watch it and do like it, you will have something new to watch (as a shadow of your former self).

• Yes...yes...watch it...

• No worries about liking it. You don't have to be a brony to watch the show.