If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• Well, like I said, you never should even be in a position where you have to dodge anything.  Ideally, Smough will continually be attacking you, but he'll be up against a pillar so he'll never actually get closer to you so he'll never be able to hit you.

In any case, it doesn't really matter, since you beat them.  Anyway... I suppose I don't know anything about anything after that boss fight, since that's where I had to stop playing.  Soon I'll be able to start playing again though. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I usually get him up against a pillar, but he just wouldn't let me. Seriously, it was like he started using a different AI.

I already know some of the stuff after the fight, just from reading about it, but I'm not sure which Lord's Soul to go after first...I should probably head into New Londo to get the Very Large Ember, but I don't think I want to do that entire area.

Sif...was really pathetic.

Backroll => Chaos Fireball => Do that three more times => Backroll => Fire orb => Do that five more times => Sideroll => Great Combustion =>Done

I kinda assumed she'd be hard, but nope. Easy.

• edited 2012-03-23 15:52:04

For me it was similar, but I think it took one less spell cast to kill it since I was using Great Heavy Soul Arrow.

Though, actually, even if you only use melee attacks, Sif still doesn't seem all that hard.  Her attacks are fairly easy to dodge if you just stay close and roll around a bunch.  The only trouble is that she likes to jump around a lot so it might be kind of hard to hit her. 

• edited 2012-03-23 15:57:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I also reached the room in the Tomb of the Giants with the humanity babies.

From all the times I've heard about people farming it, I assumed that room would be really pathetic.

It...didn't go as well as expected.

Also, the first wizard/buffer guy in the Duke's Archives one-shotted me with his trident. I think I'll head back to that area later.

I guess I should probably go for the Four Kings next, but then I have to give up either Havel's Ring (which I need more) or the Ring of Favor and Protection (which breaks if I take it off) :/

Or I could go to Demon Ruins but that area just kinda frightens me somehow.

• You can get another Ring of Favor and Protection by trading the Xanthous Crown with Snuggly, so if you have that...

Ooh, I do have that :D

Excellent.

I'm also in the process of upgrading the black iron armor to make it stronger than Havel's while weighing around ten pounds less.

• Finally was able to play Dark Souls again.

Beat the Darkroot Hydra because I realized I never did that.

Then did the Catacombs because I also never did that and more importantly I wanted to go to the Tomb of the Giants.  Pinwheel was hilariously easy, though I got the worst mask from him.

Tomb of the Giants was... very difficult.  Surprisingly, though, Nito was actually not that hard.  Though all the skeletons he has with him are really annoying.

The Mask of the Mother? Don't worry, you can buy the others from Patches.

Oh, I didn't mention the stuff I did yesterday.

I took out Seath and the Firesage demon. The former was pathetic, the latter took three tries (but only because the second time, he got me down to less than a pixel of health, I assumed I was dead and didn't heal).

I'm thinking I'll go after Nito next, since I need more humanity to open the Lost Izalith shortcut and not let Solaire go hollow. Might farm it from unnecessary NPCs...

• [Seath] was pathetic

Hm... has tons of health, takes very little damage from all my attacks, has a really strong attack that's hard to dodge and will probably cause curse if it hits...

So, um... I really have no idea what to do, and thus he certainly doesn't seem all that pathetic.

Though, I guess I'd probably have had a much easier time if I just ignored all the enemies before him so I actually had spells by the time I got to him... 

• edited 2012-03-27 15:51:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

He cannot hurt you at all if you're standing around the midpoint of the front side of his right tail (your left when entering).

Though it helped a lot that he's weak to fire and I had ascended my Pyromancy flame and then reupgraded it to +2. Can't have taken more than ten or twelve attacks to kill him.

I hear he's also weak to lightning if you don't have fire.

• Hm...

Or I'll just grind and buy Crystal Soul Spear, for hilariously large damage.  Four casts of Soul Spear was enough to get Seath down to nearly half health, but of course the problem is that after that I had no casts left...

In any case though, I want to cut off his tail because I want the Moonlight greatsword because this is a From Software game. 

Oh yeah, that. I didn't do that because my character can't wield it.
  • edited 2012-03-28 00:12:49

Okay, after buying all of Big Hat Logan's spells, Seath (and pretty much every non-boss enemy I fought since) was ridiculously easy.

Also, did the Painted World since I figured I might as well, then darkened Anor Londo for better soul grinding opportunities.

I now have enough endurance that I don't need Havel's Ring, so I can keep the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring on at all times.

Oh, and did the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith.  Demon Ruins was very easy because Crystal Soul Spear (or, for that matter, normal Soul Spear, which was enough to one-shot the Capra Demons and almost everything else), but fuck the Bed of Chaos, seriously.  Worst boss fight in the game by far.  But, whatever, I beat it.

Seriously? It looked really, really easy from everything I've seen of it.

• It should have been easy, but I died a lot to it just because it kept slapping me as I was falling/about to fall onto the platform that you need to get on.  Which of course results in certain death.  Eventually, once I figured out what to do, it did get pretty easy, but the thing is that it was still a really dumb boss fight.  Even if I didn't have any trouble with it I'd probably still say it's the worst boss fight just by virtue of... not actually being a fight. 

It's kinda meant more as a story thing. Like the true King Allant from Demon's Souls.

• edited 2012-03-28 17:50:20

Beat Four Kings.  Also did a fuckton of grinding, so I now have 40 Endurance and 50 Intelligence.  Also 20 Faith, meaning I can equip the Greatsword of Artorias if I use two hands (since my strength is only 16 still), but even though it scales with every damage stat, it's still weaker than the Moonlight Greatsword right now.  Eventually that'll change but now I'm like level 129 so I really do not want to grind to level up any more.  At least until NG+ where it'll get a little bit quicker.  If I decide to at all.

tl;dr: I'm way overleveled and at the end of the game so I'll beat it for sure very soon.

EDIT: Yep.  Took like ten minutes to beat the rest of the game.  I appreciate that the final boss was not a giant monster, but I wish he were harder... :/ 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I bought Dark Souls today.

This game had better be pretty frickin' great to justify a $70 price tag.

It is. It's like demons souls with a bunch of annoying stuff removed and a bunch of good stuff added.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Can I pause yet.

That's all I want.

No. But enemies don't follow you for as far, so there are more safe areas.

And it doesn't take half my health away when I die, I'm aware.

Oh well, I'll go give it a shot.

Well, the tutorial in this game is a lot better.

However, the first level is even more bullshit than the first game's first level. Who the fuck decided it was a good idea to give so many of the enemies firebombs when you haven't got a shield that can defend against firebombs? It's like, > facing two undead knights > okay, I can take this > fucking people start throwing firebombs at your back while you're a bit more concerned about the two undead knights

And all the passageways are so goddamned small.

Keep moving and the firebombs won't ever hit you. You never have to fight in a corridor; lure the enemies out.

But if you just keep moving and don't take your time to see what's happening, all of a sudden you find yourself facing an eight-foot tall knight wielding a giant fuckin' sword who can knock off half your health in one hit.

Dark Souls isn't exactly the type of game where running ahead will get you very far, but in this level, taking your time and advancing cautiously results in FIREBOMB SPAM at several points.

It's a pity, too, because the tutorial was incredibly well-designed compared to its' predecessors. The passage forwards was linear, yes, but unlike Demon's Souls, it wasn't just designed to tell you the game mechanics, it was designed to show you how to play the game. Just rushing ahead in the tutorial and killing everything won't get you as far as it did in the first game. You actually have to plan around the encounters, and death is there but avoidable. The Asylum Warden fight was a great example of this; just rushing ahead and slashing away would get you killed faster than I can say "Unfair". The idea is to show you to look for other ways to progress.

But then, you get to the first level, and one of the first enemies you encounter throws firebombs at you from on top of a narrow staircase. If you rush up to fight him, a second soldier confronts you, and you're fighting two enemies at once on a narrow ledge.

The firebombs is what is ruining it, really. The game was great, until suddenly, your enemies gained a ranged weapon when you didn't have one, you can't actually significantly reduce the damage of said ranged weapons at this point in the game, and they often pit enemies with them against you while you're fighting multiple other enemies.

Apart from that, I'd be doing fairly great. Taking hits, but remembering Demon's Souls I have a fair idea of what to expect and how to not die easily.

But nope. Firebombs.

I didn't mean necessarily to keep moving forward so much as to not stand still, i.e. press forward a bit and then suddenly head back, stuff like that.

And the main spot where you're vulnerable on that bridge is somewhere that you probably shouldn't have to stand still. If you poke onto the bridge and step back off to the side with the bonfire, some of the enemies will rush out you and you'll be out of range.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    press forward a bit and then suddenly head back

Once I figured this out I didn't have too much of an issue getting through/grinding the Burg.

I never felt like it was especially bullshitty, and I'd never had any experience with a 'Souls game before.

It helps that there are like ten or twenty square feet, tops, where they can hit you.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I need to go back and finish Dark Souls. I never actually got all that far.