If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM anime club

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Black Lagoon and Monster would be good.

Also, Princess Tutu and Gankutsuou.
  • a little muffled
    @AHR: That one bath scene is the only nudity in the show as far as I remember.
  • WHAT TYPE OF CRAPPY ASS ANIME DRAWS LOPSIDED BOOBS? I REFUSE TO WATCH THIS SCHLOCK.
  • a little muffled
    Oh wait, I lied, there is one other part where you see one boob.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-19 22:32:16
    I bet it's lopsided.

Anywho, why is she wearing a necklace in a hot spring? Isn't that bad for it?
  • edited 2011-09-19 22:35:57
    They're somethin' else.
    The scene in question is in the OVA's climax too. Any anime show with the audacity to show me jailbait tits in a display of FUCK SHIT UP Testosterone deserves recognition XD
  • a little muffled
    @AHR: Because she's EUROPEAN and EUROPEANS ALWAYS WEAR CROSS NECKLACES.

Also it's not a hot spring; they're on a space ship.
  • edited 2011-09-19 22:33:44
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Uhh...be careful how you word that.

• Look at this girl in the left lower corner. Where are her teeth. This is sheer insanity.
  • edited 2011-09-19 22:34:42
    a little muffled
    Okay, I do not know what's up with that.

I am pretty sure she has teeth in the actual show.
  • Also, I do not think crotches or vaginas work that way.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Nikka hush.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-19 22:41:08
    But I'm having fun superficially judging this show!

For instance, this picture!

How do those boobs amount to that waist?

AND Y U NO HAVE TEETH.
  • I'd be up for Gunbuster if and only if it's as good as Evangelion was.
    Not a particularly high bar you're setting.

In any case, I don't think I'll participate in this, but I'll lend you my invaluable wisdom with some recommendations:

Giant Robo: 7 (40~ minute) episodes long, great (if old) animation, excellent story, lots of WTF shit ripe for commentary.

The Diary of Tortov Roddle: A series of 3-minutes by Oscar Winning Kato Kunio, beautiful and charming.

La Maison en Petit Cubes: The piece that actually won Kunio the Oscar.

Run, Melos!: The 90's movie, a fine work with lots of talent working on it, it's rather obscure, so there's a good chance no one has seen it.

Le Portrait de Petitte Cossette: 3 episode long OVA, interesting story, conveyed through weird-ass visuals.

And a lot more, but that's enough for now.

• You can change. You can.
    Not a particularly high bar you're setting.

Want a knife up your ass? >:|

(Eh, but seriously, I wanted to say something relevant to Anno's involvement that didn't devolve into lol rei)
  • edited 2011-09-19 22:58:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    That extremely narrow waistline seems similar to the waistlines of NGE characters.  It's like typical Gainax or something I guess.

Also, we should obviously all watch Jinki: Extend.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Approve'd.
  • edited 2011-09-20 01:51:49
    They're somethin' else.
    Definitely nth Captain Harlock.

Also, Space Adventure Cobra.
  • edited 2011-09-20 10:23:24
    Just going to grab the chance to do some suggestions of stuff that I think people should watch. While my favourite series Monster and Legend of Galactic Heroes are of course my highest recommendation, they are too long for your purposes.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor: One of the funniest anime I have seen bar none. Nice space opera parody - by putting out-of-place characters in an otherwise rather serious space opera setting. The main character could also be seen as a thinly-veiled parody of Yang Wenli from the aforementioned LOGH.

Slayers: Keeping in the comedy vein. The best Slayers series, in my opinion is Next which is the second series, but can easily be seen without having seen the first. And as with Tylor it manages to not just be a good comedy, but also one of the better fantasy anime out there.

Going back a little further, Rose of Versailles. Perhaps a little on the long side (40 episodes), but still the best shoujo show I've ever seen, despite also being the oldest shoujo show that I've seen.

Space Battleship Yamato: Still an awesome show, despite showing it's age somewhat, and it is interesting to see how many basic anime sci-fi elements came from this one.

And to make up for the lack of LoGH, Crest/Banner of the Stars. Not in
    the same leauge, but still some of my favourite anime space opera. Has
    fleet-based battles, rather than "our mecha pilot is better than your
    mecha pilot".

Escaflowne: considered a classic by many, though I know some people really hate it. I'm not amongst those people. Also, Aura Battler Dunbine (from 84) if it wasn't so long (49 episodes), which was directed by Gundam-creator Yushiyuki Tomino and is actually one of his strongest works. Escaflowne has also clearly taken some inspiration from it, what with the magic/knight/mecha fusion of genres.

Again on the long side, but Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Still the best entry in the series and still a great show, with interesting themes and with an actually believable main romance. Side romantic plots on the other hand? Not so believable.

And just so that it isn't all pre-2000 stuff:

Noein: I thought this was a very good sci-fi show that was sadly rather over-looked when it came out. Nice use of quantum mechanics to advance the story's themes, even if they use some liberal interpretations here and there (not to mention multiple different ones at the same time).

Paranoia Agent: Great series by Satoshi Kon and pretty good for watching in bits, since the episodes aren't always directly related.

Again with the length problem, but I feel the need to mention it: 12 Kingdoms (45 episodes), which is probably the best straight fantasy anime I have seen. Of course it helps that unlike a lot of fantasy which is based on pseudo-medieval Europe it's based on pseudo-historical China, which gives it a certain freshness for a European like me.

Here are some movie recommendations:
    Galaxy Express 999 the 1979 movie. While Maetel is somewhat badass decayed compared to the series, it is still a great movie which has has a great atmosphere and fairly interesting plot. The series is good too, but it's an 110 episodic-series, so yeah.

Perfect Blue and Millenium Acress: My personal favourite Satoshi Kon movies, both are them are superbly made.

Mobile Suit Gundam movie triology. Shorther than the series and therefore most likely easier for the intended purposes. To be fair though, I don't think it holds up as well, as it could, but it is the first forray into real mecha and interesting in it's own right. Personally I much prefer Zeta and am currently watching VOTOMS which honestly seems to be better too. So, if we disregarded the length Zeta and most likely VOTOMS would both be on my series recommendation list.

For a fun short action OAV I always suggest Read Or Die. It's not a great piece of work, but damn if it isn't entertaining.

Staying on short OAVs: Dai Mahou Touge (Magical Witch Punie-chan): Vicious parody of the mahou shoujo genre and amongst the best anime comedies, simply because it's so goddamn sadistic and knows exactly how to parody the tropes of it's chosen target genre. Much better than the more well-known Dokoro-chan, which is basically just about the novelty of a cute girl smashing people's brains out with over-the-top gore.

I have plenty of more suggestions where they came from, but I've probably written more than enough for now. :P

• edited 2011-09-20 08:14:11
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Gah. Even on the Internet I won't be able to do this (Dad's house on Friday, so no streaming, and marching band shows on Saturdays). Maybe I can sign up for it during swim season.

And I recommend Welcome to the NHK for a short but sweet series that hasn't been recommended yet. It's twenty-four episodes long, and it actually has a middling-to-good dub (Chris Patton as the main character worked pretty well). The only problem I can think of is that, as a satire of the more disturbing Japanese nerd subcultures, most of the subject matter is deliberately very creepy, and some parts are very uncomfortable; it's one of the few anime I've heard of that's actually earned its "mature" rating. And there's some nudity. But eh. Just my two cents.
    I think that we shouldn't shy from material due to its content, regardless of nudity or whatever. We're not five years old here and all that.

Anyway, I discovered this neat show called Xam'd. Which is amazing. I recommend it. Although I think we should start with Gunbuster, anyway.
  • Bible Black :D

No. I kid. I wouldn't want to watch that with other people, unless it was Cakman.
    Oh, I wouldn't suggest Hentai. Mostly because the material is there to titillate and arouse. And I am not interested in that.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-20 10:21:38
    Even if it's really really really bad? 

Like really really really really really really really really really bad?
    Even if it is really really really really really really really really really really bad

you never know who's fapping

not to mention that i have a roommate, and i wouldn't want him coming in and see me watching some chick with a dick and talking about satanist rituals. 
  • fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

:P
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Don't worry, AHR. We can start a hentai channel. Strictly for hentai connoisseurs.
    > Hentai connisseurs

you make it sound like wine
  • @Juan_Carlos, It's Madass Alex.

Honestly, I could compare him to the Dark Lord Voldemorte, but that would be like comparing Mass-murder to puppies.