If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• Counter's gonna clock
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    IN's gonna UH.
  • Juan is the forever lonely Juan.
  • You can change. You can.
    nope. I've got me for company.

This makes my circle of friends automatically better than yours, btw.
  • edited 2011-08-15 18:19:32
    Poot dispenser here
    I've also expressed a disinterest in joining.

• I want to be a moderator here. Dunno why, but I'd really like to help this place.
    Me too. I don't know if I would do a very good job, though.
  • edited 2011-08-15 18:25:47
    I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    RE: discussion of -tans in the TV Tropes thread:

Um, you guys have a -tan too.

Just sayin'.

And no, I don't know why they exist either.

EDIT: Gah, I can't find her. I'm positive I saw an SA-tan somewhere.

EDIT: SA-tan.

At least she's actually an adult woman.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't know if that's a good thing or not.  I'd rather look at a cute little girl (yes, it's possible for them to be portrayed as something other than sexual objects, contrary to popular notions) than look at that.
  • edited 2011-08-15 18:34:50
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Of course, they brought up this. Which is fucking nightmarish.

I'm extremely tempted to make a thread in Wiki Talk about getting rid of pages like that, but... I know it'll be doomed to fail.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Why does it have a Heartwarming moments page.

With two examples that aren't examples at all (one is a fan comic and the other is a bait and switch scene,it seems)
  • edited 2011-08-15 18:51:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Cutlisted that.

Can't justify getting rid of the work, but can justify getting rid of the subpage.

I view it this way. TV Tropes, like Wikipedia, is neutral. Just like Wikipedia can't claim Hitler was evil, TV Tropes can't claim that a work is creepy. But just like Wikipedia can tell us all about Hitler and let us conclude that he's evil, TV Tropes can tell us all about a creepy work and let us conclude that it's creepy.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Oftentimes? Only in the last level is she truly stark-naked, and only in a couple death scenes is she made to be naked.

You may think it's guro pleasure fantasy, and that's perfectly understandable. I'd be lying if I said it's impossible to be taken that way. But hear out my own theory about this for a bit.

You don't get "points" for leading Sakuri into her death, you don't get experience, or items, or a tangible reward of any kind, and it's not required in order to open up further parts of the game—if anything, it's a hassle, because you have to march all the way back to where you were and avoid all the dangers along the way again.

Logically, you don't get rewarded for killing her at all. In fact, Reese, the villain, says that the "shadow people" are enjoying watching this, and associates with them. The villain. The guro community, the one people think this is for, are the bad guys. This is struggling against them—if fans take pleasure in this, they're the "shadow people", the villains that Reese applauds. It's a Misaimed Fandom on one hell of a scale.

What's this game for, then?

Well. Hell is digusting. Hell is horrifying. Hell is terrible, miserable, abysmal, and all sorts of negative adjectives. Whether it exists is up to religious debate, but even if it doesn't, everyone can agree that Hell is supposed to be a Bad Place (TM). Thing is, there's been too many levels in video games that portray Hell as some sort of walk in the park that you can survive if you're just plain badass enough or have awesome kung fuSeveral characters can just waltz through without any real consequence, and then exit without any real lasting psychological or physical trauma.

I think that this is an elaborate subversion to the common video game convention that people can "survive" Hell. Hell is supposed to be Hellish, it's not just a "level" that you can beat if you mash enough buttons. Even other survival horror games with a Hell level still made them beatable, with protagonists relying on their grit and wit to pull themselves out by their fingernails. But this is a game that finally demonstrates the terror and helplessness that people are supposed to have in Hell—it's torment for all eternity, with no escape. Even if you make progress, it's with a sacrifice.

What type of character do young adult males, the primary gaming demographic, sympathize the most with? Cute young women. The skirt, ribbon, and hair decorations emphasize Sakuri's femininity, which endear us to her off the bat. So, we're all the more sympathetic with hertroubles. We get disgusted and turn away as she dies over and over, when that's the very point being made. It's easy to just dismiss it and brush it under the covers with "what the fuck, this is clearly a serial killer's masturbation fantasy", but I think it's deeper than that.

It's an everyday ordinary person, with absolutely no chance of becoming the "typical" video game heroine. She can't jump high, she can't carry guns, she can't run fast, she doesn't have power armor, etc. And it's what Hell is supposed to be—torment, torture, and terror for all eternity. It's a stark message, on how we've been taking it far too lightly.

...geeze, I can't believe I'm writing this much on a freeware game. I swear, I could turn this into a thesis paper of some kind. And, like I said, it's impossible to determine for fact if this is the point without Word Of God, which is unfortunately impossible due to a language barrier. But still, I think people are looking at this the entire wrong way—at its core, it's survival horror. Survival horror is designed to get way under peoples' skins and cause them to become terrified, and this succeeds marvelously at it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I view it this way. TV Tropes, like Wikipedia, is neutral. Just like
    Wikipedia can't claim Hitler was evil, TV Tropes can't claim that a work
    is creepy. But just like Wikipedia can tell us all about Hitler and let
    us conclude that he's evil, TV Tropes can tell us all about a creepy
    work and let us conclude that it's creepy.

QFT
    I view it this way. TV Tropes, like Wikipedia, is neutral. Just like Wikipedia can't claim Hitler was evil, TV Tropes can't claim that a work is creepy. But just like Wikipedia can tell us all about Hitler and let us conclude that he's evil, TV Tropes can tell us all about a creepy work and let us conclude that it's creepy.

Look at this words very carefully, for they are truth in its most distilled form.
  • edited 2011-08-15 18:58:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I can't take full credit. I saw someone say that on TV Tropes once, but I can't recall who.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    "We are not a stuffy encyclopedic wiki. We're a buttload more informal."

Quoted From the Front Page.

Note: Everyone also knows that the original quote was "We are not Wikipedia"
    Doesn't mean you're allowed to put your opinion on the main page.
    I can't take full credit. I saw someone say that on TV Tropes once, but I can't recall who.

It was me. Well, not that, but I did say something along the lines of, "We can't show bias in an article, but what we can do, is tell people what the work has. If the work has a girl trying to seduce a teacher, then we don't need to say anymore. Let the reader reach their own conclusions. We're not here to dictate morality to people"

@Scrye: Meh, nobody cares about that and by now it has become a dumbfucked argument for not changing the problems the wiki has had across time.
  • edited 2011-08-15 19:03:33
    Electric Boogaloo
    ^^I agree, but the way that seems to be implemented these days is "You're not allowed to put your negative opinion on the main page."
    Yeah...I've been trying to remove some gush.

Do we need a Special Efforts thread for gushkilling?
  • edited 2011-08-15 19:05:10
    You can change. You can.
    You're not allowed to put your positive opinion on the page either.

It's just that less people enforce it because circlejerkery.

^Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. 

Did I make myself clear?
  • I support a special effort for gushkilling. 
  • I support this motion as well.
  • Hope this goes well, but knowing some people they might call us complainers, so watch out for that.
    That's why I started off by talking about how complaining is even worse. Such people won't have a leg to stand on.
    INUH: Way to do it. :D :p
    I helped. 
    Huh. That's odd. I can't seem to find FYAD in the forum directory. 
  • Clean your room little Billy
    ^ It's a member only forum, I'd guess.