If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to join Something Awful now

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    durr hurr vorpy said sumthing hypocritical

let's see wahn, I of course post memes on here because it's allowed. I like that SA doesn't post memes because it keeps threads from devolving into derp. I don't see the hypocrisy.

so deal with it.
  • You can change. You can.
    yeah, sure, whatever.

If Shlapintogan or any other of the SA users are reading this, can I get info on the policy about SA's IRC channels? Do you have to be a registered member of SA to use, say, #goons-mtg?
    doesn't show for me. >_>
  • edited 2011-08-15 02:23:57
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I can actually see the appeal in a $10 fee. For a lack of a better word, it keeps the riffraff out. That said, while I'd obviously follow the rules of the place, I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth.

So basically, maybe one day when money is less of an issue that I can post if for a name online.

^^I am amazed.
    Mind you, I don't think the 10$ fee is dumb. I just don't think the forum's environment, style, etc etc is worthy of my time. 
  • There's at least five people banned every day. I know because they have a daily counter at the top of the forum pages.
  • edited 2011-08-15 03:32:47
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    PERMABAN

Reason: iwc.

...iwc?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    the fuck does "Iwc" mean? I haven't seen anything in the rules with that acronym or anything, and I can't notice any beyond retarded shit in his post. Was he banned for being austrailian or whatever?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • edited 2011-08-15 07:24:06
    edit: Whoops. Wrong tab. Err... so, SA, how's things?
  • ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ
    Googling "something awful iwc" takes me to this, which makes me believe IWC is a constantly permabanned user they don't want.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:04:40
    Ugh. I suppose it's my turn to flounce.

Having caught up on the SA thread since I haven't been following things here over the past few weeks, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with the fact that AHR, an IJBM regular, was not only shamed into thumping her posts on Writer's Block by another IJBM regular, but that not a word of support was given for her here aside from Myrmidon. I don't even want to know how much of AHR's work went to waste over treatment that was undeserved.

Again, I don't hold any ill will towards SA, as getting laughs at others expense is what they are admittedly about in their thread. And the persistently deepening culture of negativity towards TV Tropes here on IJBM was something I thought I could get past, as long as enough people were willing to look at things rationally and productively. But if IJBM is going to become a community that can't even be counted on to rally in support of one of its own, then it's a community that I no longer want to be associated with.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Explain?
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:12:58
    Someone(look for yourself, I don't want to start an argument with him again) linked to AHR's graphic novel thingy in the SA thread.
  • Scrye linked one of AHR's writer's block thread over on Something Awful, which apparently led to a mass of self-thumps. As far as I could see, Myrmidon was the only person to speak in AHR's defense.

If someone wants to go into more detail, they can. This is just the last thing I needed to convince myself that IJBM is no longer a good fit for me.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:19:30
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Scrye insulted AHR's work. Myrmidon defended it. Very few people had anything to say about it, because I doubt very many people here have read the work.

It's honestly not all that bad. It does have problems, but she is working on it.

But how can we even defend her if she's not here?

That said... ^ I don't know if anyone's actually read enough of it to actually defend it besides me, who... wasn't actually aware of this until now.
    Some that I had read but honestly, if someone is so deeply affected by negative feedback and mockery, being shamed into thumping is not something to be blamed on the other party.
  • Actually, I told Scrye to talk to her about it on IRC, and she seemed to take the criticism well and told me that I did the right thing. So this is kind of a surprise.

There's kind of a lot of shit going on in her life now, though, so the SA thread might not be the primary cause.
  • I'm not saying that anyone needed to defend the work itself, as I had not read it either. I'm just saying that I expected some amount of support for AHR here, since AHR has been an active member of this community.
  • First of I've even HEARD of it,

and I'm still catching up with the SA thread so I'm not even at the point to know of any of the context that's happening.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^Me to. Blaming sure is fun. 
    You prefer hollow support from people that haven't read the work in question to honest support? Sorry for me, at least, I don't like hypocrisy coming from me or others.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:29:40
    I suppose you're right, and after reading Myrmidon's last post I will admit that I am probably making too big of a deal out of this.

My apologies.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:30:14
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    But they didn't insult her or anything. They did insult her work, but, well... That's kind of expected when you're a writer.

I mean, if they'd insulted her and I'd been aware of it, I would have stepped in and defended her, and i think many posters here would too. If they'd insulted her work and I had been aware of it, I would have stepped up to discuss it and in the process defend her.

But... they didn't insult her. They insulted her work.

Ninja'd, but I'll let it stand.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    First of I've even HEARD of it,

and I'm still catching up with the SA thread so I'm not even at the point to know of any of the context that's happening.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:34:59
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I was unaware of this for a bit, let me think on this for a bit. You implied this:

"Hey guys, shame on you, you didn't show support for a work you haven't read." 

Which can carry even more sinister implications:

"Hey guys, shame on the whole of you for not reading that work"

Which is pretty bad if you ask me. Unless forcing people to read something is a-okay for you.
  • edited 2011-08-15 09:40:10
    Belief
    Actually, for me, this is the first I've even heard of this happening.

"Shame on you for not doing something that's happening on a site that you probably don't even care about."

Honestly, I don't keep up regularly with the SA thread.

Also@ Hey Zudak.

• I didn't mean to make those implications, but as I said before, you're right, I was out of line, and I apologize for it.