If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General writing discussion.

Comments

• Harem does not work well as a genre.

It works well as a subgenre, or a facet of a genre, but as a standalone, it's shite. 

• edited 2011-10-07 15:26:42
    $80+ per session
    That's what I was saying.
  • You can change. You can.
    Harem does not work well as a genre.
    It works well as a subgenre, or a facet of a genre, but as a standalone, it's shite. 

blah blah absolutes in writing blah blah it can be done blah blah skills blah blah guts blah blah preconceptions blah blah
  • Show me a good example, then.

It's a gimmick. It might work once or twice, but it comes to a point where it's just a bloat. Like Romance.
    I can't show you a good example, because I don't know much about anime. I've only watched five-six shows.

It's a gimmick. It might work once or twice, but it comes to a point where it's just a bloat. Like Romance.

Oh come on, AHR. At this point we've, as human kind, have written around billions and billions and billions of romance novels. And not all of them followed the caveat you mention, but they certainly were masterful works. Like Casablanca. Or Gone With The Wind. 
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-07 16:24:39
    Of course, aren't both noted for reasons other than the romance? Gone With The Wind for the whole southerny thingy, and Casablanca for the drama?

Plus, sure, some romance stories do indeed bring new things to the table, but both things you mentioned are revolutionary classics. That doesn't mean your average non-classic will ever be good in such a genre where most interactions have already been played through.
    Gone With The Wind for the whole southerny thingy

I was reluctant to mention that, but then I decided to do it, because, well, let's face it, most of it is just setting flavor. The main plot is Scarlett's relationship with Rhett Butler. It's not just a facet or a subgenre. The story is most strictly a romance. 

Casablanca for the drama?

Romantic drama, might I add.

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-07 16:28:14
    Well, unfortunately, I haven't seen either, so I can't argue on those terms.

My uneducated stance would be to say there is a huge gap between classics and EVERYTHING ELSE. In something like fantasy or sci fi, you have the world renown classics, but you also have the semi-popular books that get praise, even if they'll never be analyzed in class.

There ain't no middle ground in romance.
  • @Juan_Carlos: As in, intended to be serious. At least from what I can tell.

I am exceptionally high today though.
  • $80+ per session
    IJBM: Harem automatically means anime.
  • edited 2011-10-07 20:10:35
    $80+ per session
    Also there is plenty of middle ground in Romance. Movie examples include Juno, 500 Days of Summer, and When Harry Met Sally.
    That's not what she meant. And in fact, those movies serve her argument. 

Anyway, harem is a genre that mostly shows in anime. It is barely seen in western media.
  • $80+ per session
    Yes, but it isn't exclusive. It just bugs me that your response was "i don't know much about anime".
    Welp, I assume it's like Magical Girls and Mecha. It's not exactly impossible to find outside of anime, but it definetly is endemic to anime. 
  • Yeah, a harem show is mostly an anime concept. 
  • Well, are there any western examples of harems?
    Big Love, I suppose.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Wheel of Time, sort of.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-07 21:14:21
    Ehhhhh. I don't think that counts. If only because there is no shipping, just a bunch of dudettes with one dude.
  • edited 2011-10-07 21:15:40
    You can change. You can.
    Now, who says there is no shipping?
  • Well, I mean as an initial premise.

Course, I don't know much about the show, so I could be dead wrong.
  • $80+ per session
    What shows have the harem as it's initial premise?
  • In the same sense as Love Hina or To Love Ru, I suppose.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    >To-LOVE-Ru

I still need to finish that. Thanks for the reminder, AHR.

/trollmode
  • $80+ per session
    So, I'm reading this move script, and it's in first person. Like, all the description and stuff is in first person. It's pretty interesting, and the actual plot isn't that bad either.

I'm considering writing one of my ideas like that...
  • Everest: I er...I kinda read it.
  • edited 2011-10-08 12:14:15
    Has friends besides tanks now
    @AHR: I know. And as I recall, you loved to hate it, whereas I genuinely enjoyed it for what it was.
  • They're somethin' else.
    bumping to remark that I haven't forgotten your piece, Everest. I barely got back from a family function and am recovering from the food high.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Okay. I was starting to wonder . . .