If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General writing discussion.

Comments

• edited 2011-09-18 12:34:19
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^^But you don't spend lots of time talking about jokes that it's guaranteed that absolutely nobody but you will understand, do you?
  • You can change. You can.
    Nah, it's a general feel rather than specific posters. 

Anyway, it's not just that, but that there are barely any actual discussion on stuff that I think matters when it comes to writing, such as plot, character arcs, structure, setting, etc etc 

Of course, I'm basing my experience on stuff from about a year ago, so. >_>
  • They're somethin' else.
    ^same ._.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-18 12:36:19
    Well, I once posted a discussion, wanting to discuss Realistic characters versus Progressive characters, and I got a lot more "it depends. end of story" or "this doesn't matter, just write well!" instead of an actual discussion.

My world building thread was slightly better.

So, interpret that as you will.
  • edited 2011-09-18 12:37:16
    I have to agree with everyone, I just don't feel comfortable posting there often.

^ ...Wow.
  • Ok, so, I'm writing a fanfiction, and I need some advice here...

It's a fantasy thing, and there's this whole overlying thing about how "impossible" something I'm setting up in the story is.

Now, for introduction-wise, should I go with something fantasy or more realistic?
  • $80+ per session
    What Juan said.

All you really get is someone wanting their story critiqued, someone asked a specific question that will only apply to them, someone roleplaying as their characters with other people, someone summing up their book in three sentences or less, or someone talking about the favorite lines from their book.

Or someone talking about how they have no discipline to sit down and write.
    guh, that is annoying

Although I'm not quite understanding the difference. Don't you mean "Progressive vs Static"?

Also, fun writing exercise prompt I just got.

Go to the street, pick the first random person you saw, and create a character around them.
    Ok, so, I'm writing a fanfiction, and I need some advice here...
    It's a fantasy thing, and there's this whole overlying thing about how "impossible" something I'm setting up in the story is.
    Now, for introduction-wise, should I go with something fantasy or more realistic? 

First off, what are you writing about? As in, this is a fan fic based on...?
  • @Juan. It's a fanfic based off of something popular, off a popular webcomic actually ^_^
  • ...WHAT WEBCOMIC, YOU INSUFFERABLE KITTEN KILLER? >:O
    Ah, gotcha. 

Opinion on it: Apart from all subjectivity aside, I prefer a character to be as realistically possible. After all, even if your story is the most wild sci-fi fantasy horror thing ever, it still needs an anchor point. Something that makes it relatable. Human, you might say. Andstereotypes are not humans, they're a product of humanity, but humans do not behave that way. 
  • Actually, I'm asking for introduction advice, you see, the thing that's happening is sort of a built-in mechanic of the webcomic, yet it's still not utilized within the very same webcomic, so for narrative reasons, for all intents and purposes, I'm laying down that the event that happens is impossible.

But introducing it has left me with a choice, do I with the perspective of "Crazy wackyness"

Or do I give it the perspective of something more realistic to sort of drive the point home just how impossible this is.
  • @AHR You have three guesses.
    UI'd say that you should go for realistic, if you intend for the impossible thing to turn out to be not-so-impossible. Also, if you're going to d that, it either has to happen at the second plot twist or at the climax. 
  • @AHR ^_^

@Juan. Well, It's more of a...

It's basically the very...

I'll go with that, and you'll see it if I decide to post it ^_^
  • Yeah, that's prolly the best way for us to analyze the opening. If you ever post it or link to it...
    Yeah, I'm going in blind here, hence why the advice is so sketchy at best. 
  • Although, in Writer's Block's defense, Scribe's thread has been a GREAT help to me, since I actually now have a critic who somewhat likes my story, instead of outright hating it. 

It's also helped me cut down quite a few things, which is nice.

But, like all things, the ratio is quite unbalanced.
  • I'm be sure to present it when I'm done un-deleting it.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I should probably give that thread a try. maybe. If Scribe's moderating that thing, It HAS to be good. How is Scribe's input if he ever gives it?
    Anyway, I'm going in for my Narrative IC and I decided that before leaving, I should leave you a simple homework

You will profile your character based around this five concepts. You will not extend yourself long with these as well, just...get to the basics

Name:

Physical Appereance

Conflict he faces:

Perspective

Attitude/Personality (Just use adjetives here)

Change (As in, how does he change across the story)

Bye
    Scribe? Drunk?
  • Schitzo: It's essentially an advertising gig. You put up a summary, and then someone pms you if they're interested in being a full time critter.
    OK, I'll admit that works too good. Specially seeing how Mellon and me have been working recently.
  • edited 2011-09-18 13:09:51
    They're somethin' else.
    OoO oooooooooh.

^^^ Yes.

And thank you for the homework, Don Carlos.
  • Ugh, I already did that in a writer's block thread, can't I just recopy that over here?
    Depends on how short it is. The point of this is that you need to be as laconic as possible.