If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nakama is being renamed.

edited 2011-07-09 23:26:54 in Webspace
[tɕagɛn]
This can only go wrong.

Also, I kinda like the word "Nakama". Though it is kind of vague to outsiders, so I guess a rename is in order. I hope Nakama is still a redirect, though.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Really?  Finally.
  • I've never cared about it much, but I voted yes to renaming it.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I only wish [AOD] were here to see this...
  • Why?
  • He was a fierce (and I mean fierce) proponent of renaming it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-07-09 23:31:57
    What, again?  Last I heard the previous attempt ended in a fall guy getting banned when the backlash flared up.
  • Glaives are better.
    I wish I were unbanned. I want to hear the girlish shrieks of the weeaboos. Such music they make!
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    He lobbied harder than anyone else to have Nakama and the rest of the Japanese names changed to clearer counterparts. He even had his college's linguistics professor clarify the actual meaning of the word, to eliminate one of the arguments used for keeping it.
  • One thing I never got is the "We should rename it because it's not correct use of the Japanese word" argument.

Loanwoards change all the time, sometimes meaning literally opposite things from the original language.
  • edited 2011-07-09 23:36:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Can I vote yes on the first step of a two-step recall but keep it in the running for the second step?

^ LOL "egregius" -> "egregious"
  • edited 2011-07-09 23:36:22
    You can change. You can.
    Nakama is staying a redirect to avoid much cleaning. However, its further use will be disencouraged.

^^the point with that is that it means that A) An English speaking user wouldn't understand while B) A Japanese speaking user would utterly dumbfounded and probably offended as well.
  • edited 2011-07-09 23:36:48
    ^^^ But... "nakama" isn't even a loanword... I have never seen it used aside from TV Tropes.   Well I mean other than in Japanese things.
  • If it's being used in English, no matter how little, it's a Loanword.
  • $80+ per session
    Wonder what the new name will be.
  • I'm actually OK with this.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Can someone courtesy-link the rename thread here please?
  • As long as Nakama stays as a redirect, I'm fine with this.

• On the one hand, I'm became familiar with their definitions because I heard them under those dialect words first. On the other hand...they're just not english. If it's super important, I say go for it.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I really don't care about this. I just hope the bitching will end.
  • You know some people will probably add this to their personal lists of why they think TvT sucks now.
  • You can change. You can.
    Eh, I don't particularly care myself as long as it means we also get to rename some other silly shit...

-looks at Mickey Mousing and Tsundere-
  • Juan's making a list, checking it twice...
  • Glaives are better.
    I thought that was when you wore pants but no shirt. You know, like Donald Ducking.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And Tsundere is actually a thing.  :<
  • edited 2011-07-09 23:51:30
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    A thing in fiction and fandom, I mean.  It's an established term, not an arbitrarily taken japanese name like "nakama."
  • You can change. You can.
    Tsundere could easily get a rename that isn't a Japanese loanword. Besides, it's not as if its exclusive to anime. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, the pagequote is from Hey Arnold.