If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Suggest forum changes/features and report bugs here!

Comments

• edited 2012-07-08 22:59:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Should we just upgrade this board to the newest version of Vanilla?

I know it might will break some features, including possibly some of the stuff that UE's hacked together.  But it's not like all our features work well right now; for example, I get several notifications for each new post in a single thread that I don't even have bookmarked, and the private messaging system is still wonky.

That said, I don't think this is a high-priority issue right now.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

I planned on upgrading to the latest eventually anyway.  At most, it will break the date format plugin, as I have code in the vanilla core for that one, but it's not that big of a deal.  I'll probably get to that after I make a couple other unrelated things work.

• edited 2012-07-12 15:30:51

Can the fact that Youtube URLs (at least ones including the http:// ) are automatically parsed into video embeds?

Personally I don't mind taking out the functionality altogether, though ideally, it should remain but require some other markup, such as [v]h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBKWYGXnIU4[/v].  (I left a space there to prevent the thing from parsing.)

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

The text window is bugging out whenever I try to update the OP for the Steam Sale thread.

• edited 2012-07-17 13:50:39

Slightly related:

Because of the way the forum tries to remember what post you've last seen and shoves you to that page when you click any link to a thread with a few exceptions, it's harder than normal to get to a particular page, especially the first page if it's important.

Usually, a link of the form website.com/forum/thread will go to the top of the first page of the thread.  Then website.com/forum/thread/p5 will go to the top of the fifth page, and website.com/forum/thread/p5#post236 will go to post #236 on the fifth page.

Here at IJBM, website.com/forum/thread will take you to the last page you've read of that thread.  website.com/forum/thread/#post236 actually takes you not to post #236, but to post #whateveryoulastread.

The only ways to get to a specific page or post and ignore what you've read are to use website.com/forum/thread/p5 to get to a specific page and website.com/forum/comments/comment236#comment236 (or something like that) to get to a specific comment.

This seems stupid.  Now I'm wondering why Vanilla does it this way instead of the way everyone else does it.

• edited 2012-07-23 13:28:10
    No rainbow star
    Is there any way to make
    , , , and work in PMs, with hitting enter/return automatically inserting the
    ?

Because it is always annoying when the text ends up as a solid block
  • edited 2012-09-27 11:03:20
    Has friends besides tanks now

Is there any way we could cause hyperlinks to open new tabs when clicked, rather than require me to right-click and "Open Link in New Tab" when I want to follow a link? Or even some way to toggle this option, if people prefer moving right to the link on the same tab? I, personally, find it more convenient and manageable to just have new tabs to move over to when I want to be able to follow a thread, or check its ideas, or move to a new one altogether, and the less I have to right-click, the better.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does this have to do with the way the new version of the forum marks stuff as read when you click on it and gives you the new version of the whole forum view when you go back to it?

• edited 2012-09-27 11:22:49
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Nah. Nothing to do with the format changing. It's just something I really like about SA's interface, and I've been to at least a few other sites that do this.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, I am wondering if it would be at all possible for us to get rid of the auto-saving drafts feature?

It's kind of annoying, as I have a habit of writing posts and then not posting them after I reread the post, making me have to go clear the draft.

• Weird, I assumed you'd appreciate another annoying orange notification to collect. I agree, by the way.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I don't know if anyone else already pointed this out, but ever since the most recent adjustments, if I try to make more than one post per page refresh, the second post I make won't go through, and Vanilla will tell me that a body is required, even if there's plenty of text in the box.

Autosaving drafts should be disabled.  As for the body required thing, I'm fairly certain it's a problem on Vanilla's end relating to how textboxes are named; that will take a little more investigation

• edited 2012-10-19 08:38:38
    a little muffled
    It seems to be impossible to make linebreaks when editing in the mobile view.

This was edited in several lines down.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, that's always been the case. When editing in the mobile view, you actually have to add the HTML for new lines if you want them.
  • a little muffled
    Any chance we could move the sign out button on the mobile vie somewhere where it isn't incredibly easy to press when you mean to hit post comment.
  • edited 2012-10-20 11:28:45
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Would it be possible for PM conversations to have pages instead of the "show more" button?

• edited 2012-10-22 19:38:59
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

> It seems to be impossible to make linebreaks when editing in the mobile view. This was edited in several lines down.

I coulda sworn I fixed that, at least it worked on my 3ds when I last tried (EDIT: just tried it in the below post; it made newlines properly for me).  What are you using?

> Any chance we could move the sign out button on the mobile vie somewhere where it isn't incredibly easy to press when you mean to hit post comment.

Moved it all the way to the left now, how's that?

>  Would it be possible for PM conversations to have pages instead of the "show more" button?

I tried applying that on the previous Vanilla version and it broke paging entirely if I changed it to a normal pager.  I can give it another try though 

• edited 2012-10-22 19:37:59
    don't mind me, just testing newlines

they work for me, at least
  • I tried to change the gender setting to "classified", but the box said "gender not valid".

Wha?

• a little muffled

@Unknown_Entity:

I coulda sworn I fixed that, at least it worked on my 3ds when I last tried (EDIT: just tried it in the below post; it made newlines properly for me).  What are you using?
    Galaxy S3, default Android browser. I'll see if how it works on other browsers.

• edited 2012-10-22 20:52:32

I tried to change the gender setting to "classified", but the box said "gender not valid".

Wha?

Fixed; seems I remembered the code but not adding it to the database's list of valid values.

• edited 2012-10-22 22:16:31
    a little muffled
    Okay, testing to see if it works in Android Firefox.

edit: this should be on another line

Edit: another other line

Your config.php file is not writable.
    Find out how to fix this »

Um...I take it something's being tinkered with?

• edited 2012-10-22 22:09:40

Potentially, I just keep forgetting vim's annoying habit of writing out a new file instead of overwriting the existing one when editing the config file, which resets permissions.

@Nyktos: Try editing that post of yours from your droid, there should be a fix in place now, but it only affects new/changed posts, not existing ones.

• edited 2012-10-22 22:32:59
    a little muffled
    New post

Edit

And again

Newlines work now...not in the way I intended them to work, but hey, I won't complain.  Thanks for testing Nyktos.

Um. Are all messages showing as blank for everyone, or is it just me?

Wait. It's fixed now.

A regular expression went apeshit on me for a moment; trying to adjust some newline issues, which now seem to be fully adjusted.