If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Suggest forum changes/features and report bugs here!

Comments

• edited 2012-04-26 23:15:14
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

> An option of "neutral/decline to state" would be nice. I think it would entail changing all the code that picks pronouns to contain a third option.

Most likely could be done; I just have to look around for where they use it.  And I think the only place gender is really *used* is on the Activity page to pick the proper gender pronoun for stuff like [name] has changed [his/her] avatar, though I don't know offhand if that's the only instance; feel free to point out more instances if there are any.

> I'd just like to ask if we could like, have animated GIF avatars or something.

It would break Vanilla's having 3 versions of the avatar for posts/activity/smaller activity, though that would be a reason to overhaul Vanilla's avatar system completely.  At present, they take the original upload, generate 3 specific sizes of it and use those instead of the original upload, which changes them all to png in the process (it originally forced all uploaded avatars to the jpeg format, hence the terrible png support) 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But Vanilla's avatar system, as it stands, sucks.

I'd personally rather not have animated avatars; I find the rather distracting.

I'd say that you'd probably get used to them rather quickly if they're not exactly majorly animated, though. Something like an entire sequence would be distracting, but something like just someone blinking isn't exactly majorly distracting, but would fit some user's preferences better than static images. -shrug-

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That is true...perhaps if we had some common-sense limit on how animated it can be? (basically no huge action sequences or jumping perspectives around or anything)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, as I said on the Activity page, all I want is for this image to be my avatar, because I've had Chrona on various sites for over half a year and as much as I love her, I need a change. And there are remarkably few good images of Xion that are small enough to fit as an avatar. The image itself just blinks and opens/closes her mouth, I don't think that's particularly distracting.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That would be perfectly reasonable.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That image actually took surprisingly long to load on my end.

That said, we'd also have to standardize the avatar size because GIFs can't be resized with the current resizer.  You'd need something that resizes like every frame and then strings them back together, I'd think.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Alternatively, with an overhaul of the avatar setup, I could ditch 3 separate image files and just force width/heights on the image tags that display the avatar so that it just renders a single image in multiple sizes.

• edited 2012-05-02 14:09:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Unknown_Entity: Can you please change the About Us page to link to the new rules and introductions threads?  Well, the intros thread link should still work since the site doesn't actually care about the text past the discussion thread number (though the "official" URL of that thread includes the new thread title), but the rules thread IS a new thread.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Updated on all counts.

• edited 2012-05-05 22:38:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Time to crowdsource a little bit of help:

Where on the board are gendered pronouns used?  And what case is each usage (e.g. possessive, object, subject, etc.)?

• edited 2012-05-05 22:39:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Pretty sure it just displays on your profile and on the message when you change your avatar.

EDIT: nope, just the latter. And it's possessive.

• edited 2012-05-05 23:31:08

so I went ahead and launched the neutral gender option; should be available in 'Edit My Account' now; gimme a yell if there's any incorrect pronouns lying around.

• edited 2012-05-06 13:44:40
    Loser

Unknown_Entity,

Thanks a bunch for the gender neutral option. I especially like how you can keep it "classified" instead of having to change it to something weird like it, unknown, or the like.

I do think it is kind of funny how it makes people who use that option look kind of like they are collective consciousnesses though (e.g., "User W changed their profile picture").

• Would be totally appropriate for @Them though. :p

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I think it would be helpful if there were an option to upload images directly from the web for our profile pictures. And it would probably be asking too much, but would there be any possible way to implement gifs as avatars?

UE's working on a way to have the avatar processor just take the raw image and resize it, rather than generating jpeg copies of it.

That said, I'm not sure how keen I'd be on allowing animated gifs (which I assume you're thinking about).  I don't like how distracting they are.  That said, maybe we could just do a soft restriction, where we'll just ask you to change it if we don't like it.  Haven't decided what policy to use yet, since it isn't a reality yet.

• edited 2012-06-29 21:31:40
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

EDIT: Nevermind.

• You can change. You can.

Err, did you read what I said on the Updates thread? 

If that doesn't work, well, it depends on what browser you're using (Firefox, right?)

is this about the editor crapping out, or is it about the thread being totally broken in Firefox 3.6?

Nah. Crimson seemed to have issues with the font on his browser.

• edited 2012-07-03 07:03:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The site clock is seven minutes behind again...last time this happened there was a timewarp when it got fixed.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

then

you know what must be done

no

crimson

don't engage the footbal demon again

please

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

the demon is mine

i will not be denied

man come to think of it, do we actually have a link to the timewarp?

i want to remember just how fucked up shit was

I summon @Unknown_Entity!

By summon I mean leave a note on an IRC channel where he's got his second computer logged in all the time.

• edited 2012-07-03 22:21:41

huh, the date is reading several hours ahead for me on the server.  no idea what causes it to jump time that far, nor is it letting me sync the time.  I suppose this would also be a good time to note the server will be down sometime this week for a move to a shiny new dedicated server, which should make the memory errors and (hopefully) this random time jumping go away for good.

EDIT: oh hey because it's a vps I can't fix the time, lovely. So yeah, it'll fix the timesync issues too as I can install a time syncer on the new dedi.

We're entering a soon-to-end excursion of time.

• edited 2012-07-06 06:16:53

actually, gonna put in it's own topic