If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• a little muffled

maybe you should stop worrying about it

• a little muffled

So now if you click outside of a tweet on Twitter, all tweets you have expanded automatically shrink. What possible positive could there be to this?! Note that scroll-wheel clicking counts, so I hope you remember to use a different scrolling method when you're reading a longish conversation on a small screen...

• edited 2013-12-20 01:00:40
    My arms are falling off!

Relative timestamps in many occasions. They may make sense when on the order of minutes or even hours, but once it becomes a matter of days, weeks, or more, it's much harder for me to pinpoint when something was posted.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm, I think it's the portable install of Chrome that's installing Chrome.  Probably when trying to update?

Because I'm using portable Chrome right now and I just saw Chrome installed again.

• My arms are falling off!

3DS still only allowing three saved access points.

Moreover, it doesn't support WPA2-Enterprise, which SJSU uses for encrypted wifi.

• Relative timestamps in many occasions. They may make sense when on the order of minutes or even hours, but once it becomes a matter of days, weeks, or more, it's much harder for me to pinpoint when something was posted.

I got so tired of vague "1 year ago", "6 months ago", etc. timestamps on my blog that I edited my theme to change the timestamp format. Now everything has a nice specific timestamp, in the format "20 Dec 2013 9:41 am".

(As an aside, my blog's theme is an edit of Redux, aka the old old default theme. I'm lazy!)

I figured out how to get modern versions of Firefox not to play standalone mp3s in the browser.

In about:config, change media.windows-media-foundation.play-stand-alone to false.

• My arms are falling off!

Since my Galaxy S3 is busted and I'm waiting to instal a new ROM to get it back in working order, I've been using my 3DS as a music player for car trips.

I learned the hard way that it doesn't play .ogg files. Not surprising, but still.

Ended up converting the OGG files of the songs I want on my 3DS to MP3. The result is a bit muddy. (I have FLAC files of the songs but they're on an external hard drive in California and I'm about 7,000 miles away for vacation.)

• edited 2014-01-07 04:31:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Windows 7's search bar to look within a folder for items matching your search term works in a weird way:

It only works for the beginnings of words (or whole words).

If you have a file called "It Just Bugs Me.zip", a search for "bugs" will pick it up.  However, a search for "ugs" won't.

I was searching a folder earlier for "BGM" since I knew it was in the filename.  But the search failed to pick it up.  Why?  Because it immediately followed (without a space) some east-Asian characters.

• I've given up on Windows 7's search function, it works in mysterious ways.

Paste a table from Microsoft Excel into Microsoft Word.

Have an extra row in the table.  Highlight entire row, right-click delete.  Given the option to shift cells up or left.

Logical solution is to shift cells up.  Just for fun, I shift cells left.  To my surprise, the desired result happens.

Then I try to shift cells up.  Table formatting falls apart horribly.

WTF?

• What version of Office is this?

• edited 2014-01-11 23:54:12
    My arms are falling off!

[delete]

^^ 2007.

• edited 2014-01-14 04:44:43
    My arms are falling off!

[delete again]

hm?

• edited 2014-01-15 05:12:16
    My arms are falling off!

It's 2014 and Tumblr's in-blog search (the one you can find on a blog itself, not via the dashboard) is still completely broken. Searching terms, even ones widely used on a particular blog, will only return a small subset of results, or no results at all. It's to the point where I have to do a domain-restricted Google search to search within the blog, but some blogs block search engine crawling, leaving me with no way to do a convenient search.

This coupled with the fact that post rates of less than twice a day do not exist on Tumblr, as I ranted about here, is why I find navigating Tumblr blogs to be roughly the same thing as finding a needle in a haystack with no metal detection tools.

• Man, Windows won't let me make a security copy CD. Oh well, I'll try reformatting without one. What's the worst that could happen?

- Internet last words.

• That reminds me: why don't computers come with recovery CDs anymore?

It used to be when you bought a computer, you'd get discs with which to reinstall the operating system and any included software. Now they just shove all that stuff on a hard drive partition, which (a) wastes a chunk of your hard drive space, and (b) is completely useless if, like me, you happen to accidentally erase that partition.

(I ended up torrenting a copy of the MSDN Windows 8 ISO to fix it. I figured that I'm in the clear, legally, because I paid for Windows with this laptop and so I'm entitled to use it.)

• a little muffled

a cd costs them fifty cents or something

don't worry, soon enough os recovery will be ~~~in the cloud~~~

• edited 2014-01-22 07:38:24

> do a youtube search

> click on a video

> go back

> want to go forward again...cannot

WTF, youtube

I wonder if it's the "loading bar" that's causing Youtube to break forward functionality.  Still, you suck even more than you used to, Youtube.  The only reason people continue to use you is because you're too big to stop using.

Mental note: always open youtube videos in new tab

• Remember when Microsoft Windows used to have a nice splash screen with the name and logo of the version you're using?

Windows 8, at least on my laptop, just shows the computer manufacturer's logo for a few seconds, then goes to a plain black screen during the rest of the startup until the lock screen finally appears.

*sigh*

• a little muffled

It is a law of nature Microsoft is not capable of making two good OSes in a row.

• I'm baaaack!

I find it funny that my last post was that one. I didn't reformat anything (I cowed out when I realized I had to do BIOS shit), instead I ran into issues connecting to this site. Someone explain to me what the hosts file is (in system32/drivers/etc) that deleting it fixed the problem.

• A hosts file is, basically, a list of IP addresses and their corresponding domain names. DNS made it obsolete long ago, but it's kept for backwards compatibility...and sometimes if it gets corrupted (usually by malware), it can keep you from accessing sites properly.

• So it's the appendix of internet connections.

• edited 2014-01-26 02:55:35

it can also get messed up by a changing host IP and DNSes not figuring out how to respond to that.

• Internet Explorer likes to put a thumbnail in the taskbar for each tab, even if they're in the same window.

Is that a violation of some kind of Windows interface guideline? Because it should be. Windows and tabs are different things for a reason.

Windows also likes to place a Microsoft [office suite program] taskbar tab for the generic program and a second one for each document open.  Which totally messes up Alt+Tab capabilities.

• I haven't encountered that (I use Office 2010, for the record) but it sounds annoying.