If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm, I'll have to try using DDG more often as a search engine.

Though when I posted the last thing, I wasn't even on my own computer...

• I think you can disable instant search on Google, since I don't get the "search results disappear" thing.

• edited 2014-04-06 20:20:21
    a little muffled

I am so sick and tired of links I can't open in a new tab.

Seriously fuck JavaScript.

Is there a way to change Windows's default behavior of mass-opening multiple mp3 files in Windows Media Player?  I've changed the file association for a single mp3 file but opening them en masse still causes WMP to get them.

• edited 2014-04-06 21:17:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It seems that mass-opening multiple MP3 files is possible for up to 15 files.

Above that, however, it loses the "Open" option as the default action, and default action becomes "Add to Windows Media Player list".

Seems the 15-file limit exists for other filetypes too: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/138646-Can-t-open-more-than-15-files

Anyway, it's solved.  Create that d-word registry entry if needed.  Set it to a high number.

• UPS WorldShip will gladly print a shipping label with a ten-digit phone number.

It will also gladly print a label with no phone number at all.

But if you enter a 7-digit phone number, it will pop up a message "A required field has been left empty or invalid." (emphasis mine)

Of course, I'm not sure why you'd want a phone number on a shipping label anyhow...

[07:20:39] > security question choice
    [07:20:49] > one of the choices is "last four numbers of your favorite credit card"
    [07:20:58] hahahahahahahahahaha
    [07:21:03] > try to put letters, just so it throws off any potential identity thieves
    [07:21:12] > system rejects, must be numbers
    [07:21:18] HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    [07:21:19] * GMH facepalms

• Technically it just says your favorite credit card. It doesn't have to be one you own!

Just swipe your boss's wallet for a moment and use the last four of his Visa; I'm sure he won't mind.

Turns out it was trying specifically to get prompts that would produce four digits.  Some other questions included "what year did you graduate from high school" or "what's your parents' wedding anniversary".  That said, you weren't allowed to put a number in the 3000s for the year, and you were constrained to a drop-down menu for a day-of-year answer.  Which, honestly, was stupid.

(And yes, I tried "20XX" at one point for the year.  It didn't work.  It did get me to notice that they wanted numbers for everything though.)

• edited 2014-04-16 13:34:55
    a little muffled

Did I ever complain about that thing Twitter does where it minimizes expanded tweets whenever you click on the background?

Because seriously, fuck that thing.

Is there any better interface for twitter than the twitter website?

• a little muffled

Twitter has done its best to shut them all down.

• edited 2014-05-04 02:14:46
    My arms are falling off!

Yep. Twitter wasn't so anti-third-party-client when I started using it in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if Twitter killed its API in the coming years.

A lot of my friends on Twitter agree that the web interface for Twitter is trash.

For Windows, I recommend Janetter. (Edit: Janetter hit the 100,000-account limit that Twitter imposes on all clients, so you're shit out of luck, sorry.) I'd recommend OpenTween, my preferred Twitter client, but it's basically the emacs of Twitter clients :V

For Android, the official Twitter app should work well for most users. TweetCaster is also great, but it's 5 USD to get the premium version and dismiss ads.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

The Huffington Post's Android App lacks the ability to completely get rid of categories from your front page (It just shifts your favoraites to the top of the page). I'd really rather not have the patronizing celebrity stories or somewhat racy ones on my front page (Plus I already have like, everything newsworthy not the Wall Street Journal already) but they have some good America-exclusive news.

• a little muffled

I finally managed to disable Firefox's annoying (Linux-only?) behaviour of loading the URL you have on the clipboard when you middle click on the background, which I have never done intentionally but have often done accidentally when trying to middle click a link.

If anyone's interested you have to set middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false in about:config. I don't know why they wouldn't have a thing to disable this in the regular control panel since it's kind of awful.

• ...I didn't even know that "feature" existed

Why would anyone think that's a good idea??

• a little muffled

On Linux, middle-click conventionally pastes text, so I guess someone made a connection there? But yeah, it's awful.

• My arms are falling off!

Back on Chrome due to PC performance and overheat issues, and I forgot how inconsistent history search from the omnibar is.

• edited 2014-05-11 19:14:38

(1) PDF Cropping

Some publications produce their documents with very wide margins.  This include some academic journals.  It would save a lot of paper if I could crop their margins and string the pages together more tightly.

Fortunately, there are cropping tools -- ones that aren't Adobe Acrobat, I mean.  These include PDFScissors and Briss.

Unfortunately, they have an odd effect, at least when used with Foxit Reader (I haven't tried other PDF readers for this purpose yet).  I can attempt to print them two pages to a printed page, but they'll cut off part of the left-side subpage.  Alternatively, they might overlay part of the cropped area over the subpages -- such as a watermark or a "downloaded from [schoolname]" or other notice, so you'll get text on top of text.

So apparently, the cropped data isn't actually erased -- it's just obscured.  Unfortunately this does NOT reveal itself in Foxit Reader's print preview.

The only solution I've found is to actually use PDFCreator.  I can print full-size pages (upscaled to 8.5x11) to PDFCreator, and since that's a printer utility, it sends image data, not PDF data, or something like that, so only how those pages look is saved.  Then I take the "PDFCreated" copy and print that in my printer, two pages to a printed page, and trying to upscale the pages as much as possible so that the text isn't too small.

(2) Youtube commenting

For some reason, my Google Chrome Portable no longer correctly loads Youtube.  I can watch the videos just fine.  But on video pages: video preview images (sidebar), and comments sections are unavailable, and I can't open the Youtube main menu, click to my userpage, click to see my notifications, or click to my Google+ profile (or what I think is the feature linking to that).

I have no tried this with another browser yet.  This is Chrome 28.0.1500.95, in a portable form.  I only use my usual Youtube commenting profile/identity with this browser, no other Google user accounts.

(3) computer temperature

Anyone know why a CPU might significantly warmer than the cores?

Never mind the Youtube commenting thing.  Google Chrome Portable works fine now.  I think their server was down or something that night.

So I tried to upload a new resume to Manpower and it kept failing because the indicated file directory would change to "C:\fakepath\Resume.doc", and even if I did have a file with that particular path, I'd get an error being told to upload my resume in .doc or .rtf even though that's exactly what I was doing.

Visited the help file, and I came this gem:

"If you are using a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer"

I decided to just nope the fuck out of the website because I can't take a website with outdated web standards seriously. I'll just use other job agencies instead.

• edited 2014-07-14 00:51:11

I've finally figured out why IE is apparently randomly opening.

My touchpad has a 'three finger press' feature.  If you set three fingers on it, then after a short delay, it can open an application.  It defaults to opening iexplore.exe.

So basically, the reasons this didn't happen consistently were (1) because I never thought that this would be a thing, and thus didn't really watch carefully where I put the palms of my hands, but the palms of my hands don't really line up perfectly like three fingers so the effect was inconsistent, and (2) there is a delay, so if I moved my hands quickly enough, it wouldn't happen.

Well, this is an interesting discovery.

Apparently, you can get it to open more than one application at once.  I can set it to simultaneously produce an IE window and a notepad window.  Interesting.

That said, I think I'll set it to notepad.  That seems most convenient.

• a little muffled

i think not using a trackpad would be more convenient

That requires I carry a mouse around with me.

• a little muffled

Whoever claims Windows is easier to get running out of the box than Linux is a damned liar. My network card "just worked" on Linux while to get it running on Windows I had to boot back into Linux and download a driver.

(Granted, I could've sworn the card came with a Windows install CD, but I can't seem to find it.)

• Heh. I've taken to keeping a flash drive will all my family's wireless drivers on it so I don't end up in that situation when I help someone reinstall Windows.

I just carry my mouse around with me because I loathe trackpads.

So I've been using Pandora for about a week now and the fact that I can't use an icon besides the one I use for Facebook pisses me off. Granted, I don't have to upload an icon, but I like personalizing my presences, and this also just goes to show how annoying the Facebookification of the web is.

It's all about brand control.

I don't get the rationale behind not simply letting one set avatars by uploading. 

• I have the feeling the answer is "because Facebook says so and they're giving us money"