If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And another mysterious unrequested starting of Internet Explorer.  17:47 14 April 2013, roughly halfway into the minute.  I had a Youtube video playing at the time.  LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Calc, Firefo, Opera, MS Word, Thunderbird, Skype, Steam and Foxit Reader.  None of these should have caused any problems.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>fix printer
    >be doing taxes
    >just kidding it won't print black 

• I don't think I've ever encountered a printer made for home use (as opposed to ones in schools, for instance) that actually worked consistently.

Mine was actually made for professional use. I solved the problem by switching to my old one, which was made for home use.

Maybe printers aren't supposed to be turned on and off so many times?

I know I do that to save power.  And every time I do, it makes lots of noises, which I think are its wiping the ink nozzle or something.  I wish I could reprogram it NOT to do that except on request.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    School printers work consistently? Are you secretly a traveler from the alternate dimension of Printer Nirvana?

So I'm getting kind of tired of only being able to press a certain number of keys on my keyboard at once. Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive keyboard without that limitation?

• edited 2013-04-15 14:58:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Just curious, what keys are you pressing that can't be signaled together?

Because that's one common complaint I hear about keyboard controls for games, but one that I've almost never personally run into, so I'd like to find out more about it.

Most commonly when I run into the issue it's with Dark Souls and I'm pressing shift and maybe two of the WASD keys.

• edited 2013-04-15 20:00:05
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

So I'm trying to get my VPN to function properly at "work". Does anyone here know how to tunnel a VPN connection through a non-blocked port on a port-blocking firewall?

Important Note: My "workplace" also forces me to do everything through their HTTP proxy (this most likely has an adverse effect on my efforts), and my VPN provider won't let me just change the port on which my service is available.

• edited 2013-04-15 20:40:00

Hmm, I've never had that problem when playing TF2.

Anyhow, why is my computer sometimes squeaking and Google Images slow when I use that site?  It's clearly doing it when I am doing some sort of processor-using feature, such as opening up a new image, or mousing over something.

Doesn't do this for any other site or application.

I am loving Youtube's VHS feature.

They should keep this option around permanently.  And reinstate the soccer fan (i.e. vuvuzelas blaring) feature too.

Sometimes, incentivizing getting attention is not a good thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/14/us/california-park-closed/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

TL;DR: social media blamed for an upsurge in vandalism at Joshua Tree National Park in the United States.

• edited 2013-04-16 08:21:46

Apologies for the triple-post, but I do want to comment that Facebook's account-locking feature has actually been useful.

Apparently someone logged in as me from what appears to be a Japanese IP address four days ago.

So youtube decided to bug me again telling me to use one name.

This time, though, it had an option saying "I want to use two names, one for Google and one for Youtube."

I clicked that one.

It seems to have accepted my answer.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Figured out how to do transparent compression on my Mac. This ought clear up quite a bit of space.

I'm gonna use this as a bit of a logbook for these incidents.  Internet Explorer just opened on its own again.  at about 12:36, roughly halway through the minute.

• edited 2013-04-21 21:48:59

One reason I like Firefox is that I know my way around it.  For example, I don't like the new tab page that suggests pages to you.  I can go to about:config and turn it off.

That's why I've stuck to Firefox.  I've tried to find the corresponding setting in Opera and I don't know where it is.

• I finally worked out why the "showing email addresses in Gmail" thing worked for me but not for GMH.

From what I can tell, if there's more than one email address associated with someone in your contacts, it shows the email address in parentheses after their nickname. If it's only one email address in the contacts, it doesn't show anything.

I kinda understand the reasoning behind this, but all the same it strikes me as one of those annoying attempts to be "clever" instead of just being straightforward and simple.

One good thing I've found about a recent upgrade of Opera: it contains "Open in Firefox" and "Open in IE" context menu commands.

• edited 2013-04-27 13:43:47

Why is Photobucket being slow in part due to animating the sharing links box coming down from the top of the screen?

Why can't the box just appear?  Why does it have to be animated?

(The same could be said of window resizing/distortion animations when they are minimized to and restored from the taskbar in Windows or the whatever shortcut bar in MacOS.)

All I want is this:

* it's not there, I click it, it appears.

* it's there, I click it, it goes away.

That's all.  Why does it have to be sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooup and shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuooeep?

• edited 2013-04-27 13:56:10

Things happening instantly can actually be kind of disorienting, depending on what it is.  Plus, animation draws your attention to what's happening, so you're less likely to miss it if performing some action affects things somewhere else on the screen (which probably isn't an issue for Photobucket but could potentially be an issue with Windows depending on how your windows are sized and positioned).

It hadn't happened in a while but it just did again.  At 8:00 AM EDT, Internet Explorer just opened itself again.

• edited 2013-05-12 01:05:04

Have to say I'm rather interested in Ubuntu Touch, although I probably won't start using it at all until there's a decent Dalvik port for it...

Just thought I'd put that here, in case any of you have any clue what the fuck I'm talking about.

• edited 2013-05-12 20:08:13

If you're typing a document, the italics feature normally toggles whether your next keystroke (if you don't move the cursor away but start typing immediately afterwards) will produce an italicized (slanted) character.  This happens when you are at the end of a line of text.

However, if you are in the middle of a line of text, and you have letters immediately preceding and following your cursor, it will not do that.  It will pretend you're in the middle of a word, and toggle the entire word's italicization on and off.  For example, let's say I've typed "S. geminata" and I want to insert "P. tricuspis and " before it.  As I type...

P. tricuspisS. geminata

When I'm at this point, and my cursor is between the lowercase s and uppercase S, if I toggle italics, the entire word (if  you can call it that) "tricuspisS" will be de-italicized.  Except that's not what I want; I want to turn it off so I can type " and ".

This seems to be a common bug (feature?).  It happens in the TinyMCE editor here at IJBM as well, and I think it happens in LibreOffice too.

Why does it do this?

Apparently, the left sidebar of Youtube temporarily loads the stuff that is normally expanded there, before it's hidden.  So if you click there to intentionally remove focus from the video frame itself, you sometimes end up going to one of the suggested channels or whatever.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ I've noticed that too. You think they'll fix it before the next big interface overhaul?

• edited 2013-05-14 19:44:47

Edit: Another unannounced IE opening at about 19:43:50 on 14 May 2013.

Youtube likes changing the quality of videos mid-video.

• edited 2013-06-08 09:43:18

Yeah, it tends to decrease the quality of the video you're streaming if it detects significant difficulty in loading the video (which is a somewhat regular occurrence on a stupid unreliable connection like mine).