If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• Happens to me too. In my experience, it's possible to prevent that by choosing a specific resolution when I start the video.

• edited 2013-06-14 20:36:38

Okay, scratch that. As of just now YouTube has a habit of changing the resolution despite me selecting one before starting the video. Obviously, this is annoying.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Okay, is anyone here familiar with Blender? I've been trying to get it to work on my computer, but there's one very major issue: the interface. The controls are different than what I'm used to. "Change the user preferences", you say, but that's the problem: I can't. I can't open the User Preferences window. If I try to, the program closes. No crash, no error message, the whole thing just shuts off. Consistently. I... have no idea what to do.

(I thought at first it may not have installed correctly, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Didn't help.)

• I haven't had that happen to me. Have you tried downgrading?

• edited 2013-06-28 17:13:55
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So this was just really odd today: Firefox randomly opened at 16:43 and just now Opera randomly opened at 17:11.  Though very noticeably, Opera opened itself when I bumped my mouse (and its right mouse button) into an object on my desk.

The crazy thing is that Opera isn't even in my program registry.  It's a portable install.

I wonder if there's some sort of weird shortcut that's going on.

Edit: wait no never mind Opera; I remembered I opened that a bit earlier

• edited 2013-07-02 20:39:54

Active tabs are generally a lighter color.  Internet Explorer 9 makes active tabs a darker color.

Is there a way to get Youtube to not load the thumbnails of related/suggested videos?  When my net is slow, it really doesn't help.

> google search for mega man 2x

> search results for mega man zx

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Another random IE opening happened this morning.

Anyway, why is Photobucket redirecting my attempts to view an image by itself (not embedded) to the page for that image...

• Anyway, why is Photobucket redirecting my attempts to view an image by itself (not embedded) to the page for that image...

Money. If you're viewing the image directly, they can't put advertising alongside it the way they can if they show you the entire page.

Go capitalism!

> go to staples.com

> search for products, no results

> go back to click the search box to change search terms

> SUDDEN, MOVING POP-UP: YOU CAN LIVE CHAT WITH A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE, covering the search bar

• edited 2013-08-16 16:55:49

> go to download Google Chrome

> click download button, seeing no other place to choose an appropriate version

> no download screen

> suddenly, an administrative privileges dialog box

WTF D:<

• edited 2013-08-16 17:04:54

[16:56:05] oh my gosh
    [16:56:18] > search for "google chrome installer exe"
    [16:56:25] apparently there's a thing as an "offline installer"
    [16:56:36] which means that "online install" is a thing now
    [16:56:40] what kind of sorcery is this
    [16:56:49] and how do i tell it to fuck off
    [16:57:36] why would i ever want to use an automatic installer
    [16:57:48] i can't even check whether theproduct is fit for my computer and my usage
    [16:58:17] e.g. downloading a newer or older version for compatibility reasons

FYI if you want to download a standalone installer, see this page: https://support.google.com/installer/answer/126299?hl=en

I'm moving these things to a Google Chrome thread.

So basically all of Youtube now uses that self-shrinking interface or something.  It's remarkably inconsistent how it works.  Seems like it does play/pause whenever you click the video.  Simple enough, right?  No, not quite.  At least in Firefox:

1. Your first click does nothing if you didn't move your mouse cursor just before you clicked.  If you did, then it does play/pause.  If you got a first click that does nothing, your second click will now do play/pause.

2. However, if you click too fast in succession, that counts as a double-click, which fullscreens the video.

3. Your first click focuses the browser window with Youtube.  You don't have to move your cursor for this to happen.

4. Pressing space, with the video in focus, does play/pause.

5. If you last clicked the video and then alt-tabbed to a different window, then upon going back to your browser window, the video frame will still have focus...or not exactly.  Firefox will think that the video still has focus, so you can't use arrow keys to scroll the whole page...but for some reason space bar won't play/pause the video either.  This behavior seems to vary with version of Firefox.  At least one older version of Firefox (4 maybe?) will give focus to the page instead of the video.

Add to this the fact that Youtube (1) does not have frame-perfect seeking by any means, and (2) doesn't preload video anymore (it likes to force you to re-load video that you've seen before, even), and that means for any video where I want to do careful seeking to get information (say I'm transcribing someone's talking for example), I might as well just save it and open the result in Media Player Classic or something.

Just noticed something about Steam's new user profiles:

1. The "friends list preview" lists your top six Steam friends based on highest Steam user level.

2. There is no way to change this.

3. There is no infobox choice to display friends, either.

Today at 13:10 IE opened without warning.  Again, blank page.  Just in time for my reviving this thread I guess?

And Google Chrome just installed itself on my computer again.

I may want to look into those Microsoft Security Essentials or whatever, since I'm suspecting it's Avast that's doing this.

• I do recall that Avast bundles Chrome, though I wouldn't know if it installs itself without consent because I always have Chrome installed anyway :V

• edited 2013-11-19 16:20:01
    a little muffled

So my school library has a lot of Windows-running machines, and a few Macs. Given how fierce competition is for computers, you have to take what you can get. Given how much the Windows machines outnumber, that usually means one of those, but right now I am on one of the Macs for the first time in ages. It's been so long, in fact, that they've updated the OS since the last time I used one.

And what I have discovered is: by default, OS X now makes the scroll wheel go backwards. Like, scrolling the wheel downward makes the page go up and vice versa.

seriously go die in a fire apple

edit: and this stupid apple mouse doesn't recognize pressing the scroll wheel as a middle click either. fuck off apple nobody loves you

• edited 2013-11-19 19:34:57

You know how scrolling up in Google Maps (and various other map apps and programs) zooms in?

It zooms out in ArcGIS.

Just for kicks, you know what non-cartographers mean by "large scale" and "small scale"?  Like, "large scale" means a broad view of something.  Well, in cartography, such a map would have a large denominator for its scale fraction -- for example, 1 inch representing 100,000 inches in the real world.  Somewhere, at some point, someone noticed that this means your scale fraction is smaller -- 1/100000 of the pie is a significantly smaller chunk than 1/1000 of the pie.  So they decided that this would be called "small scale".  Your close-ups of city streets?  Those are "large scale".

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

And what I have discovered is: by default, OS X now makes the scroll wheel go backwards. Like, scrolling the wheel downward makes the page go up and vice versa.

I've gotten used to having it that way round on touchpads, but not on mice. Luckily OS X lets you set different modes for different pointing devices.

• Twitter is not showing me tweets from everybody I follow. There's at least one account whose tweets don't seem to show up on my Twitter homepage. Is this a common issue?

Google Chrome has suddenly appeared on my computer again.

Well, that's the last time that's happening.  Time to uninstall Avast.

• Oh hey, my twitter homepage is showing tweets from that "missing" account again. Not sure what happened earlier.

• ^^ Oh god, are you one of those people who's convinced that OMG CHROME IS JUST SO GOOGLE CAN SPY ON MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?

No, it's because (1) it messes up my quick launch (which is sized to contain eight items) and my taskbar (which has no things pinned to it) and my desktop (which has exactly two full columns of icons), and (2) I already use several other browsers and I don't want it trying to insert its way into my workflow unexpectedly such as by messing up any file associations, and (3) I actually already basically have not one but TWO Chrome installations on my computer.

• Ah, ok. I was just curious because if it kept reinstalling itself like that I would assume (naively, perhaps) that it's because something I had relied on its functionality and I would probably just begrudgingly leave it because it's not like disk space is at a premium like it was 10 or 15 years ago.

• My arms are falling off!

So did YouTube finally fix the problem of player size setting not sticking or something? Setting the player to large size seems to persist across multiple browser sessions now.

• a little muffled
    So apparently the new Android upgrade reset my ringtone, notification sound, and alarm to the defaults. What the fuck.

Doesn't that sort of nonsense happen like, every time cell phone firmware is upgraded?

• a little muffled
    Pretty sure it didn't last time.

So Chrome just installed itself again.  Apparently it wasn't Avast that was doing it...

...I wonder if it's my portable Chrome installation that's auto-updating and doing this.