If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

Next time, a social sharing service that requires you to connect your LinkedIn profile.

• Can't connect to Skype on Ubuntu suddenly.\

Tried to log in, suddenly got a 'Skype cannot connect" notice. Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, still didn't work. Tried a command line method ("echo [username] [password] | skype --pipelogin"), which still gets me the same error.

Anyone know what to do? I doubt this was because of a faulty upgrade or anything, since I don't recall upgrading right before it went wonky.
  • a little muffled

For one blissful moment I thought Twitter had finally got rid of that fucking stupid "clicking outside a tweet minimizes all open tweets" thing.

Turns out Firefox was just frozen. :(

• Apparently I just had to update Skype, and that required enabling something on my updater.

• Wow I was indirectly right!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Jaooooo wrote:

Wow I was indirectly right!

About?

• Skype, I'm assuming.

• Jaooooo wrote:

Wow I was indirectly right!

About?

Last night skype forced me to update to sign in. I told Naas on IRC it might be because of that.

• edited 2014-08-04 07:49:59
    My arms are falling off!

In my search for a decent multi-account Twitter client on Android, I decided to try Talon.

I like its "push" notifications, but I don't like how it only supports two accounts (sort of understandable, considering Twitter's hatred of third-party clients which has led to their 100,000-token limit; also for the record I use five accounts, several of which are RP accounts), and how it tends to lie about there being no new tweets when I try to refresh my timeline.

Also, I'm bugged that very few Twitter clients have a "retweet from one account's timeline to another account" feature--I don't want to have to "tweet-hunt" on the account I want to RT with just to make a single retweet.

0.66 Mbps download

3.81 Mbps upload

Amazing.

So, Youtube has been trying to transition people from their old Youtube usernames to channel codes.

So basically, people's profile pages are going from

to

Instead, they get custom-display names.  In the above case, schmoyoho opted to stick with "schmoyoho", but in other cases, I've found names like 林宏業, miku- tan, 暖@よみぃ ピアノ, and ♡ L i z z ♡.

Yeah, it's cool and all that people get to really customize their names now.  But it creates headaches when trying to process this info.  For example, if you create a file or folder name with the name ♡ L i z z ♡, will the hearts display correctly?

I prefer the simplicity of usernames made solely from the Roman alphabet and Arabic numerals.  They are by far the most common characters in use on the internet, and practically compatible with all computer systems old and new -- even ones that don't allow spaces in filepaths or such.

For now, the old usernames are no longer visible when you mouse over people's usernames on a video they've uploaded, but if you go to their profile and mouse over the other links (e.g. Videos, Playlists, About), you can still get it from those URLs.  Sadly, I expect this to disappear in the future.

• edited 2014-08-06 11:59:21

I prefer the simplicity of usernames made solely from the Roman alphabet and Arabic numerals.

Among other things, using only the Latin alphabet means billions of people can't use their real names (or nicknames related to their real name I guess), which 1.) Youtube wants people to use and 2.) non-nerds probably also want to use.

Also it's just sort of a pointless restriction in general since there's no real technical reason not to let people use whatever characters they want.  The fact that you might not be able to make a folder with that name (which you actually usually can anyway) doesn't count as a reason because why would you even want to in the first place? and it has nothing to do with Youtube anyway.

Nah, I just like to complain about Youtube irritating me as I'm adding to a repository of interesting videos.  Or logging stuff in general.

• a little muffled

For example, if you create a file or folder name with the name ♡ L i z z ♡, will the hearts display correctly?
    Every modern operating system is happy to have non-ASCII characters in filenames. Whether they'll display properly depends on what software is trying to display them (and more specifically, what font it's trying to use).

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Okay, how the hell do I get Steam and Firefox to play nice with each other? The "remember me on this computer" prompt only keeps me logged in to the store, and not the community (regardless of which I initially logged in from), and it's getting reeeeally annoying. (On my old computer, I had the opposite problem: browser only stayed logged in to the community, not the store.)

The two sites appear to set separate cookies and have separate logins.  Try to clear Firefox's list of what cookies to allow/disallow/allow for session?

• edited 2014-08-13 14:49:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> find apparent download to song on a "governancepages.org.uk"
    > site redirects to "megaupl0ad.pw"
    > masquerades as softpedia
    > offers to download a .exe file for me, titled with song name

uh...no.

Mega on Chrome shows the save prompt after the download completes. This has twice led me to clicking cancel on the prompt because I had forgotten about my download and assumed the prompt was for something else.

Mega on Firefox does the same thing.

I don't know how it does that.

How come when I get a computer with 8 GB of RAM, my computer starts seeming to run slow when I'm using much less than that?

For example, right now, I'm apparently using about 1.04 GB of RAM on my own user account on this computer.  But the Task Manager says I'm using 31% of the RAM.  So does that mean I only have about 3.4 GB of usable RAM?  Are my operating system (Win8.1) and other system processes really taking up the other 4 GB and change?

• You probably already know this, but it's worth keeping in mind that the pseudo-metric prefixes used in measuring RAM are actually binary prefixes. So instead of 1 KB = 1000 B, 1 KB = 1024 B, and so on...

• edited 2014-08-26 15:00:20
    My arms are falling off!

Been sitting here for the last 15 minutes waiting for a verification email so I can log into my Microsoft/Xbox Live account, and no email so far, not even in my spam folder. Fuck this, I'll probably just buy what I want on my 360 if I shower and don't come back to a verification email.

Then again it's Microsoft and a startup with absolutely no idea what they're doing puts out better software than Microsoft.

Update:

Well jesus, it only took sending an email to a long-defunct email address (that redirects emails to my main account) to finally get the verification code.

I have a three-button mouse where the middle button -- while technically a scroll wheel -- cannot be rotated to scroll properly.  So instead I use it as a middle-click button.

Middle-click brings up a scrolling circle, though, so that's all good.  Except when I deal with links.  Standard middle-click behavior, however, is "open in new tab".  (New window, in the case of Steam's native browser.)  So the obvious solution is to click anywhere there isn't a link.  It's pretty easy to spot the big empty spaces ont the sides of webpages, so it's not much of a problem...

...until pages insist on putting ads in the sidebars.  I initially think it's a background image and so I end up opening the ad twice (once to bring up the scroll circle, then move the mouse, then again to dismiss the scroll circle) in rapid succession, then realizing my mistake.

• This is intentional, you realize. They deliberately make the page background an ad in the hopes that you'll click on it by mistake.

• edited 2014-09-10 05:06:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Now that was interesting.

Was using Waterfox Portable 31.0.

It crashed after I had a bunch of things open, and then went to Google Maps and switched to overhead view.

That's fine, except when I tried restarting the program, it didn't restart.  No new tab, no restored all tabs.

Tried moving my Profiles folder thinking that was broken.  Didn't work.

Restarting computer didn't work either.

Finally, I just reinstalled Waterfox Portable 31.0, and that worked.

Since I have a portable install, that means I just had to rename the old one to "waterfox-broken" and made a new waterfox folder.  So I took the chance to diff the two folders (and their subdirectories).

Well, there was a whole slew of files that were only in the "-broken" version:

Only in waterfox-broken/data: _CACHE_CLEAN_
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: adblockedge
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: addons.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: blocklist.xml
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: bookmarkbackups
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: Cache
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: cache2.Trash32390
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: cert8.db
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: compatibility.ini
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: content-prefs.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: cookies.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: cookies.sqlite-shm
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: cookies.sqlite-wal
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: extensions
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: extensions.ini
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: extensions.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: formhistory.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: healthreport
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: healthreport.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: healthreport.sqlite-shm
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: healthreport.sqlite-wal
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: hotfix-update
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: hotfix.v20140527.01.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: jumpListCache
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: key3.db
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: localstore.rdf
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: menuedit.rdf
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: mimeTypes.rdf
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: OfflineCache
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: parent.lock
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: permissions.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: places.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: places.sqlite-shm
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: places.sqlite-wal
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: pluginreg.dat
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: prefs.js
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: safebrowsing
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: search-metadata.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: search.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: secmod.db
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: session.rdf
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: sessionCheckpoints.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: sessionstore.bak
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: sessionstore.js
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: signons.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: startupCache
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: storage
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: Telemetry.FailedProfileLocks.txt
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: thumbnails
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: times.json
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: weave
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: webapps
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: webappsstore.sqlite
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: webappsstore.sqlite-shm
    Only in waterfox-broken/data: webappsstore.sqlite-wal

• I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. A used app's directory has more files than a fresh install? Seems logical...

Yeah, that's actually part of the problem.  While I know how to diff something, I don't know how to make sense of the results...

That said, given that Firefox uses a separate profile folder, I would have expected this stuff to be there instead.

• edited 2014-09-17 01:12:31
    My arms are falling off!

Twitter for Android's push notifications are being fucking bollocks. Haven't received a single one since I woke up today. Pretty sure it's not filed under Greenify or other task control apps, sync is enabled, and I have a consistent data connection.

Also, some fridge horror: It does not "catch up" missed notifications if I lose data connection (e.g. poor reception, turning off wifi and cell data), so I can potentially miss replies and messages.

And people wonder why I try to use third-party clients instead.

So I tried Tweetings out, and while it's probably the best Twitter client on Android for notifications (it achieves push notifications after a fashion, and also has timed refreshes in case push isn't working reliably), jesus shit it has some of the worst performance of any Twitter client I've seen. It jitters if it has to load image previews (even at small size) and it also randomly jumps TL positions for no good reason.

Come to notice it, keyboard operation is much more conducive to maximizing all the windows, while mouse operation is much more conducive to leaving some space around the edges.