If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Nope! STILL crashing!

• edited 2013-03-25 16:12:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, I tried exporting it to a PNG, and that made me realize that it has a transparent background. Maybe that's the problem?

edit:nope.

• Clearly this is something somebody does not intend for you to print.

I call conspiracy theory.

Attempted to print it without the transparent background. Nope!

Attempted to print it as a PNG from a different program without the transparent background. Nope!

I am utterly defeated.

Tried Google, to no avail, since it's only showing me a thing that happens to macs.

Okay, tried printing a different PDF, and it didn't work. Now we're getting somewhere. Maybe my printer won't print anything but text documents for some reason?

Okay, can't actually find what the printer's problem is with Google, but I'm fairly certain that it is the printer, so I can just get it onto another computer and print from there.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Here's a problem with using the keyboard to navigate backward in one's browser:

Exhibit A: DeviantArt, Photobucket

Pressing left and right arrow keys will go backward and forward in your search results or picture album or whatever.  Even pressing Alt+ these keys will not negate this function (but will occasionally confuse your computer and make you go to the previous photo in the album then go back to the previous webpage which leads you back to the photo you had been looking at before).

So if you want to use the keyboard to navigate, you press backspace.

Exhibit B: Google search results page

No matter where your focus is on a Google search results page, pressing backspace will throw focus to the search box, and you will have deleted the rightmost character in your search query.

On the other hand, Alt+left will successfully navigate backward.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Honestly, why can't Google just stick with the convention of pressing forward-slash to focus the search box?
  • "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

About Printers/Cartridges;

There was a time where we didn't by ink cartridges because the price of a full set of ink cartridges for our printer was so high. Instead, we just bought another printer because it was actually cheaper.

• Has friends besides tanks now

So, I somehow did something to fuck up my computer's resolution so that, at best, everything is a little fuzzy, and I can't quite un-fuck it, partly because my computer's wrong about which display setting is optimal (1366 x 768 certainly doesn't help me that much). How can I restore it to whatever clarity and size it had before I pressed anything?

For what did it: I was looking through some photos and accidentally clicked the "Play Slide Show" button. This started to make my computer lag, so I clicked Esc, I think, and then things kinda went to shit.

Do you know what resolution your screen is?

• edited 2013-03-31 15:20:00
    Has friends besides tanks now

I currently have it on 1280 x 768, and so far this has been my best resolution. If I set it to other resolutions, one dimension or another becomes too large. So far I've had a problem with horizontal stretching, mostly.

Measure your screen size, and see if it is 16:9, 4:3, 5:4, square, etc.?

On this page, it says the Display is 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768), and the Dimensions are 14.88" (L) x 9.9" (D) x 13.8" (min H) -1.72" (max H), if that tells you anything.

Seems like 1366x768 is the proper setting.  But what happens when you use that setting?

When I use that setting, everything gets really, really big.

Have you set your computer to large view for icons, taskbar, etc.?

I think it's still on Medium. Can't remember how to access those types of settings, but I'm pretty sure I saw something to that effect at some point.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:32:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think it's in Display under Control Panel (classic view) in Windows 7; you can choose "Set custom text size (DPI)".  Display itself should let you set small/medium.

I'm not seeing anything that helps with that. There's a Display settings thing, and that's what I've used to get a satisfactory resolution, but it's not offering anything to reset the size of icons or text, and nothing in terms of Small/Medium/Large.

• Is it "big" as in the screen resolution is smaller than what your display actually supports so it's scaled up, or "big" in the sense that your icons and text and stuff just happen to be large?  Or alternatively, post a screenshot of... whatever, I guess.  That won't help with figuring out resolution issues, but it will at least show us if your icons or text are set to be abnormally large.

Hm.

Could it possibly be a problem with the monitor?

I dunno, it might be something to do with the monitor, but I don't know what I could have done to mess it up by just pressing a few buttons.

As for screencapping, I don't think there's much point at the moment since I've basically got it backt o normal except for it all being slightly blurrier.

So Gmail is now switching to its New Compose Experience.

This is actually an improvement over the current one.  EXCEPT...

* it HIDES your recipients' e-mail addresses (only shows display names) when you go to your subject line and body text.  This is annoying if your recipients have multiple e-mail addresses (as many people do).

* the box lines are really light so it's hard to see and be sure of where you're typing.  Why do designers these days like light lines and light box outlines all over the place?  Why not hard, easily visible, dark lines?

* if you don't click the text of your message when trying to edit it, your keystrokes will instead go to your mailbox behind the in-window popup where your compose box is.  This had better be a bug.

Also on today's list of annoyances: pop-up printable-version windows of webpages that DON'T have menubars.  In other words, you can't print-preview them.  Now this would be okay except for the fact that a lot of webpages like putting things in left-side columns, which shoves the center main column of content to right...causing the right edge of the main column of content to be shoved off the page.  This happens very frequently -- like, pretty much anytime your print zoom is set to 100%.

Why don't web designers put navigation junk on the right side so that printing is easier?

• a little muffled

> using webmail

GMail on IMAP is a bit wonky since it uses folder labels rather than folders.

That said, I already have several accounts on Thunderbird...time to add one more maybe?

Or switch to Sylpheed...

• The Huffington Post's comments section abbreviates comment threads to their first three posts. If you want to read the whole thing, you have to click on a button that opens them in a new "mini-window", like the "preview" of a Twitter page on that site.

I hate this shit. As for Twitter, I don't want a "preview" of a Twitter page, I want to go to that Twitter page! HuffPost's comment threads used to open in the same area as the rest of the comments...

And, as for Gmail, they hide away a bunch of options under new menus now. I hate this mobile-informed design. It's not simple, it's cumbersome, and the reasoning for any differences between desktop/laptop and mobile interfaces should be obvious to anyone who's had experience with both kinds.

• Another annoyance about the new Gmail interface: When replying to an email, the quoted text is included but not shown until you press the "..." button at the bottom of the text box. Fair enough, that stuff just tends to get in the way when typing a response anyway.

But when you Select All by hitting Ctrl+A, it selects everything including the quoted text, whether it was visible already or not. That's...just annoying, really.

• edited 2013-04-02 17:53:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Why is Gmail compose text box not gaining/keeping, but LOSING, focus when I click in it

Why

whywouldyoudothat.jpg