If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-26 01:00:04

^^^ Not as bad as when I had Kyubey's face as my wallpaper for a week or so.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno.

Madoka was way less traumatizing than EoE.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I should probably finish Evangelion, but the only reason I got as far as I did was because I was snowed in and couldn't leave my dormroom for a few days, and after I could, I didn't particularly feel like the characters were interesting enough to care about.

• edited 2012-06-26 01:06:22

^^ Neither of them were particularly creepy, but the thing is... End of Evangelion had cool-looking things in it (like what you have as your wallpaper), while it's just kind of disconcerting to have a wallpaper of someone staring at you, regardless of who or what it is.

• You can change. You can.

Evangelion is one of those series I'm really ambivalent about. 

To be honest, I think the Rebuild movies are much better in terms of characterization and writing. The original series hasn't really aged well and a lot of the characterization is basically "Rei rambling about the nature of her existence with a pseudo-artistic montage behind her" and "Shinji looking at the ceiling of wherever the hell he is"

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Neither of them were particularly creepy

Madoka I'll give you (it was creepy, but mostly in a weird-cool way), but EoE was pretty fucked up.

I think I've said it here before, but that movie is one of the few things I've seen that I found genuinely disturbing.

it's just kind of disconcerting to have a wallpaper of someone staring at you, regardless of who or what it is.

This is true.

You win.

There are some rather strong moments in EoE but it's no Vace de Noces

then again, few things can measure up to Vace de Noces

brrrrrr

• edited 2012-06-26 01:11:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^I can't comment on Rei, since she hadn't actually gotten any characterization as of where I was, which I think was like halfway through the series. Either that, or she had gotten characterization, and I don't remember it at all, which wouldn't bode well.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Rei doesn't have much characterization, and that's part of the point.

> Kyubey face as wallpaper

you should get kyubey face on t-shirt

• I think I've said it here before, but that movie is one of the few things I've seen that I found genuinely disturbing.

Fair enough, but personally I wasn't disturbed by anything in Evangelion, or really any anime, so... (though, weirdly, I have read quite a few manga that I thought were/are pretty disturbing)

• edited 2012-06-26 01:17:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Rei doesn't have much characterization, and that's part of the point

Well, as of where I was, that didn't really make her stand out much.

• edited 2012-06-26 01:18:52
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There are some rather strong moments in EoE but it's no Vace de Noces

The film deals openly, and sometimes graphically, with bestiality, and is informally known as The Pig Fucking Movie. It also features real animal killings and coprophagia, and has been labeled obscene by many sources, notably by the OFLC of Australia.

that's cheating
    Fair enough, but personally I wasn't disturbed by anything in Evangelion, or really any anime, so...
    Yeah, that kind of reaction is pretty much 100% subjective.

Rei does have plenty of characterization, even if it boils down to "I'm an unhappy clone who can be easily replaced and I'm quite aware of this. Also, I love the man who cloned me as a father even though he created me based on my wife"

It's just that it's all written and presented poorly (The aforementioned pseudophilosophical montage is rather cringe-worthy when you get right down to it) not to mention that the characters in Evangelion are deliberately written simplistically as their own psychoses and mental issues take hold.

Evangelion's true value is basically the fact that it's so good at representing depression, really. At the core of it all, at least, that's why I liked it.

• edited 2012-06-26 02:26:41
    There is love everywhere, I already know

@DVDs: The best you can do is pray to your various deities that NIS America gets a hold of your favoraite show. Despite still being (mostly?) sub only their stuff is amazing.

• Toradora, Katanagatari, Anohana, Usagi Drop...

But there's so many other anime series I need to buy too! D:

• Kichigai birthday!!

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I had sort of high hopes for Estetica, I mean:

In normal RPGs, a hero defeats the Satan king and the story ends. But what does the hero do after that? Ohtorizawa Akatsuki defeats the Satan king in the fantasy world of Alleyzard and returns to the real world. He is sheltered by the international organization BABEL, which protects and controls people transferred from the outer worlds. BABEL is astonished to know Akatsuki has really defeated Satan and brings Satan’s daughter Miu from Alleyzard. In the academy of BABEL, Akatsuki confronts other “returners”, who have psychic powers.

How was I supposed to know that was code for 'lot's of violent seeming sex'? I can't even link to an article that shows the preview stuff since it's so NSFW...

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Watching the Tales of The Abyss anime. It's kind of compacted, but it is making want to spring for the 3DS version. Maybe if I can use my Toys R Us gift card...

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

One of these days, they'll have to make a Tales anime that's well-structured and given enough time to cover all the major plot and character points. At least three or four Tales games have animu versions at this stage, I think, and Vesperia got a prequel movie. Throwing my vote in for a Tales of Phantasia anime where we see Cless ride the pegasus into the clouds to do battle with a dragon, tailed by Arche. That game had a fair few awesome set-pieces, but that stands out to me as the best. 

also, dat ship scene

It's actually stuff like the Tales and Persona anime that helped convince me that the JRPG is a genuine solid form of storytelling. It's a focused, broad, swords-and-sorcery epic. Done right, you can actually meander quite a bit because the player is still involved and it gives you a chance to get attached to the characters. Of course, done wrong you get stuff like Final Fantasy...

That said, nothing on the summer chart for animu seemed that interesting. =| People should keep me posted if anything is good.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-28 09:21:18

• Er... Vaces de Noces is not anime. >.>

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ You can say Kodomo no Jikan here.

Though I'm more of a fan of its obscure sequel, Komodo no Jikan

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

One of these days, they'll have to make a Tales anime that's well-structured and given enough time to cover all the major plot and character points. At least three or four Tales games have animu versions at this stage, I think, and Vesperia got a prequel movie. Throwing my vote in for a Tales of Phantasia anime where we see Cless ride the pegasus into the clouds to do battle with a dragon, tailed by Arche. That game had a fair few awesome set-pieces, but that stands out to me as the best. 

also, dat ship scene

There WAS a Tales of Phantasia OVA that came out years ago. It was...okay, but rather bare bones.

A well done Tales anime would need at least 50 episodes.

I also think an Atelier anime that covers the PS3 mini-arc would be awesome, but it'd need to be 50 episodes per game...

I'm kind of sad that we're lacking in anime epics at the moment. The highest episode counts lately always seem to be 22-26 now...

Vesperia got a prequel movie.

That barely had Estelle in it I mean what was that about.

Estelle can't really have a character arc pre-game by necessity. 

That's the point, but she was my favorite character in-game (Most of the Tales female leads are, aside from Tear).

• I don't remember anything about the Vesperia movie except that Rita's scene was cute.

I'm kind of sad that we're lacking in anime epics at the moment. The highest episode counts lately always seem to be 22-26 now...

Making anime is too expensive and too risky for companies to be willing to fund a 50 episode show unless they have very strong reason to believe it will be a success (which, as of late, seems to basically mean "if it's for kids").  Personally, I can't really say I mind since I'd much rather watch shorter shows than longer ones...

It's not that I mind short shows, but variety is good. Even if it was just one show per year.

Speaking of investing in stuff that works, where's the third season of Haruhi Suzumiya? We haven't had a new anime entry since Disappearance. Did Endless Eight really hurt the franchise that much?

• There are also no plans for a third season of K-ON!, so maybe two seasons and a movie is the most KyoAni is willing to do...? >.>

But really, I don't know.  It could be just that they think it's less popular than it used to be and that it might be more profitable to invest in other IPs... or something.  I dunno.