If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

It's Chitanda Eru being all finale-ish, I posted it because Hyouka ended yesterday.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Incidentally...is she one of the characters edited to look like Mio (or whoever that was)?

It's probably her in most of the Hyouka-ish footage.

• edited 2012-09-17 07:49:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Yay. I won't have to hear about that show ever again!

Think again. New Drama CD cover is awesome:

Hyouka Drama CD2

• edited 2012-09-17 10:19:08

But will the drama CD ever actually be translated?

nope.avi

• edited 2012-09-17 10:32:34

It's more likely that every ijbm-er will learn/master Japanese+Kanji+Hiragana+Katakana by the end of the year.

HMM, I THINK I'M GOING TO TAKE INTRODUCTORY JAPANESE NEXT SEMESTER

lolnope

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I've been toying with the idea of learning Japanese, but that has nothing to do with my interest in anime. Rather... to be honest, I want to write haiku and tanka in the original language, with mora timing and kanji-based textual ambiguity. I also want to learn Amami just so I can say that I speak it.

I have strange ambitions in life.

^ Strange but noble, I just want to be able to read light novels/manga and buy unsubbed BDs without shopper-guilt attached.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'm learning it because my godmother was Japanese. It's very convenient that I also happen to like Japanese media though.

I'm learning Spanish and Mandarin and probably also Russian before I learn Japanese.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hyoka has to fall into the darkest pits of oblivion!

But yeah, I want to learn japanese too, from a linguistic perspective, I am mystified, left-branching, an almost perfect sillabilary! Null-Subject and Null-Object! That's a language. Unlike those silly subject dependant languages.

• Yeah.  Japanese is a really cool language.

At least, it was until they fucked it up by adopting kanji instead of using a more sane writing system (at the very least, they could have just made up their own characters and not tried to force Chinese writing onto their completely unrelated language).

• edited 2012-09-17 16:36:45
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The kanji is because homophony is truly fucking rampant though.

Is Japanese both unstressed and tone-agnostic?

• edited 2012-09-17 16:47:33

It's unstressed, and while there are pitch accents, there are only two different tones and it's much less complex than Chinese (and even if you don't get the pitch accents right, you'll just sound like an idiot or a foreigner, but you'll still be mostly understandable).

So basically, Japanese is the ideal language for songwriting and the worst language for pronunciation specificity.

• edited 2012-09-17 19:58:40
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

the worst language for pronunciation specificity.

No, that's english. Homophones are an accident in linguistic evolution. Having a mix of  many graphemes-many phonemes is a fucking nightmare.

yoc vs KNHEZiXYTH feat. Matsumoto Sara - Suki ni Kuraseba Iinjayo (metamorphoXIs)

Does anyone know what the heck this is?

• edited 2012-09-18 01:10:09

A song, presumably.

And after looking it up... I guess it's a Touhou cover.

Smile Precure: That rare situation in which you love a show a lot yet you know it's kind of terrible storytelling/pacing wise.

• I haven't even watched Smile in more than a month.  I'll catch up eventually but... it's not very good, really.

• edited 2014-03-26 12:30:50

But you're missing the new ED! Rainbows everywhere!

I think Precure can be really great and pretty unique storytelling experiences which combine an episode of the week format with a strong narrative, but only when they start out with 2-3 protagonists. It's not something that makes any lick of sense (Yes!'s problem was that it felt too generic and seemed like a copy of Tokyo Mew Mew and Smile has this thing where half the episodes that have aired so far are about Candy in a series with five entire protagonists who need screen time and development), it just seems like the writing takes a dip whenever they do more than that. Like a curse.

And then there's the possibility that Smile! might be continuing to next year if it's popular enough (Plus we have nothing on the other rainbow gems in the Smile Pact yet).

Also, Vividred is being conceptualized by the force between classics such as Guilty Crown and Accel World (To be fair he also did the Denpa Teki Na Kanojo OVAs).

• I kind of wish they would go back to just having two protagonists for the whole series (and preferably their character designs will have more than one color each).  I know they won't ever do that because at some point, Precure turned into animated Super Sentai, but it'd still be nice...

And yeah, Vividred Operation is being written by Hiroyuki Yoshino... but it's directed by the director of Strike Witches and the premise basically sounds like cute girls doing cute futuristic things, so it should turn out well.

I know Heartcatch could have benefited from having two protagonists for the whole series, Sunshine never added much and Moonlight could've been their final episode teammate. Maybe then they would have had more time to write the ending sequence out instead of the not good Itsuki plots.

As for character designs, I think the monocrome works for certain seasons (Suite, Fresh) and doesn't work for others (Smile, Heartcatch), but I wish they'd stop it with the candyfloss hair already.

Precure turned into animated Super Sentai

Now all we need is an animated Mahou Shoujo Kamen Rider.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Saint Seiya was being an animated super sentai before it was cool.

Magical Girl Power Rangers

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to ask for a while: what were people's opinions on Guilty Crown, again? I could have sworn that this used to get brought up a bit. My anime club watched the first episode back on Monday. Aside from the pretty OP, I don't think I'm particularly interested, but is it actually bad?

• Guilty Crown is generally agreed on to be awful, except for the soundtrack.