If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

O.o

I guess that's what I get for assuming people are reasonable.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I mean I generally prefer physical copies, but if digital copies were half-price (or as convenient as say, the kindle) I might reconsider.

Even though the lack of the magpie aspect of physical ownership bugs me. 

• edited 2012-08-01 02:50:24

Well, I definitely think cheap digital releases could be successful outside Japan, even if personally I still would vastly prefer physical merchandise (though there's always the option of importing character goods and figures and stuff anyway).  But it's just that in Japan specifically, otaku culture is such that I don't think it'd really work out very well.

Otaku culture may be keeping sales alive at the moment, but I doubt it's sustainable past a decade or so from now. Someone's going to have to figure out how to broaden the market on adult-oriented anime if it's going to survive.

Oh the bubble's definitely going to burst, especially with the population crisis. 

• edited 2012-08-01 03:20:21

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

How is it possible their general population gets older at such a rate without things like a one-child law?

A populace not interested in breeding due to cultural influences?

Not being sarcastic. Just a guess.

• edited 2012-08-01 03:32:28

Because apparently Japanese people don't care about sex or relationships... or something.

EDIT: Ninja'd with Malk saying the same thing I did but smarter-sounding.

From what I've heard though, yeah, that seems to be the generally accepted reason.

• edited 2012-08-01 03:33:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Also, their cities are really crowded, which disincentevizes having kids.
  • edited 2012-08-01 03:41:06
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

That was a rhetorical question. I am simply in disbelief at such a culture. My grandma gave birth to 17 children. My best friend in the neighborhood is the oldest brother of six, etc, etc.

I've never known a family with more than three kids.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

You'd have a heart attack at our family reunions.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I have something like thirty first cousins, so I can understand large families. On the other hand, Japan is small and assorted culturalisms tend to stunt sexual growth over there, two things that sort of discourage anyone churning out kids.

• edited 2012-08-01 04:06:42
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I love gundam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lONgCg2MwvQ

For context, the mentor just died. And our hero is a normal human born from a powerful X-Rounder (Gundam AGE's analogue to the original series Newtypes, which can be described as analogue's to Marvel's Mutants in some respects.) 

• Vandro: I see your lips move, but the sounds that escape are incomprehensible.

Regarding Japanese culture: apparently many Japanese enjoy very vigorous, healthy elder years.

Yeah, "elder years" bein' the keyword there.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

SHAFT is making another Magical Girl anime.

By this time next year we'll have like 70,000 Madoka comparisons.

Serious or not, it's a win win for me since I like any Magical Girl stuff as long as it's good.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    I'll check out the first episode just for SHAFT animation.
  • edited 2012-08-01 13:14:04

Well, I do love magical girls, and I do love Shinbo/Oonuma/Oishi.  Hopefully it's not just another Madoka Magica though.  Normally I wouldn't doubt SHAFT, but it's a little suspicious that they're making another magical girl anime so shortly after they found massive success with their first magical girl anime...

Although at the very least I do like the character designs they have there.  More than the Madoka Magica characters, definitely.

• edited 2012-08-01 13:40:03
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Hopefully they don't think they can start some 'Magical Girl with a dark twist' thing.

THE UNIVERSE HAS FINALLY ANSWERED MY LONG FORGOTTEN PRAYERS! FIGMA KAZAMARI TSUBASA!

• Hopefully it's not just another Madoka Magica though.

Pretty sure as far as Madoka Magica goes they're making a movie series, actually.

• edited 2012-08-01 15:12:39

Well yeah, I know that.  Though I kind of wish they weren't, since it seems kind of like a waste to spend two movies recapping a 12-episode show... >.>

I just mean that I hope that whatever this new project is, it feels different from Madoka Magica.

• edited 2012-08-01 15:31:00
    But you never had any to begin with.

Though I kind of wish they weren't, since it seems kind of like a waste to spend two movies recapping a 12-episode show...

Nanoha. (Ok, that was one movie per series, but you get my drift.)

• But the first Nanoha movie also sucked compared to the TV series.

But anyway, the point is that two movies will have nearly the same running time as the series did to begin with, meaning that it's going to be nearly the same experience watching the movies or watching the TV series, unless they actually change things around, though I doubt they will (more likely, it'll just be a few scenes get reanimated).

ohai thar, I didn't know Haruhi had a little sister. 

• Actually, she looks a lot more like Misaka Mikoto.  Except with messy hair and a ribbon that Misaka would never wear in public.

I don't think I even know who that is.

If I do, I've forgotten. 

• Misaka Mikoto is a character from To Aru Majutsu no Index, and the main character of the spinoff To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.