If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Maybe On Earth. Maybe In the Future.
    'Hamatora Project' Gets Movie and SD Anime Series
    There is something wrong with the universe.

I don't know if I should be excited for more dumb bullshit or not.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    You should be.

But Hamatora sold like hotcakes made with rocks (Though I guess considering the fifty or so musicals it's had since last year it must be surprisingly popular somewhere).

Expect random OVAs every couple of years.
    Random stuff:

I don't think I'll be watching Kekkai Sensen, which doesn't really disappoint as much as I thought it would.

Gundam Build Fighters TRY is doing pretty well by not having the main characters matter which is not a good thing I guess. It is really bad when I want their rivals to win because I think they deserve it.

Started watching Seiken Tsukai no World Break and I really like it so far which says a lot about my taste.
  • edited 2015-03-14 12:17:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Does it have shitty fanserv--

*google image search*

*facepalm*

ehh, aside from the fanservice the character designs look halfway decent at first glance so maybe I'll go read its description at some point or whatever
  • edited 2015-03-14 12:27:31
    @Naas_Human

Has anyone made the joke that the armor on Hibiki's head are Noise-cancelling headphones?

(source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13259172500A47000100&page=36#877 )

Also, the next poster, MoreThanBored:

> Homura Akemi avatar (albeit edited)
    > user title "Professional Time-Waster"

;_;
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    booooooooooo
  • edited 2015-03-19 05:30:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    MEGAPOST HO!

Spring 2015 Preview

Light Novel Adaptations

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? (or “Is it wrong to pick up Girls in a Dungeon?”) - A young man decides adventures are for idiots and he’s going to try and use dungeons to pick up girls, except he turns out to be the damsel in distress.

High School DxD BorN - Third season of the popular (and original flavour) ecchi school action battle harem series.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku - Second season of the popular light novel adaptation.

Shounen

Arslan Senki - In this adaptation of a manga adaptation of a novel (???), a young boy loses everything in the middle ages but fate dictates he gain it all back. There will be Aoi Eir.

Gunslinger Stratos - In a world where the world has been separated into two, the forces who control these separate worlds attempt to stop them from remerging and hire Gunslingers to do so. An adaptation of a game series by Nitroplus and Square Enix, A-1 basically has this set to be one of this years hits.

Kaitou Joker 2 - Second season of the popular phantom thief series.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyou - In this adaptation of another mixed
    media LN/Vocaloid project, a girl who becomes a club representative at
    her school has to fight other club representatives for special priviledges.

Owari no Seraph - The story of a young man who loses almost everything and is then drafted to fight the vampires that attempt to destroy what’s left.

Shougeki no Soma - An adaptation of the popular gastronomical manga that involves a young man trying to graduate from a brutal culinary school.

Seinen

Fate/stay night[Unlimited Blade Works] Second Season - Second half of the adaptation of second route of the popular visual novel.

Grisaia no Meikyuu - The first in a series of two specials continuing the adaptation of the popular visual novel.

Grisaia no Rakuen
    - The second of said specials.

Kekkai Sensen - In a version of New York trapped in the netherworld, a misfit group tries to protect this strange new world from mysterious beings who wish to destroy it.

Koukaku Kidoutai Arise: Alternative Architecture - The latest addition to the popular Ghost in the Shell series.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid - The latest work in Seven Arc’s popular Nanoha series, this one an adaptation of the manga that revolves around Nanoha’s daughter Vivio as she attends magic school.

Triage X - Nurses transform into secret ecchi agents of justice and all that is good.

Shoujo

Ore Monogatari!! - The story of a big guy who, after losing every girl to his best bishounen friend forever for a long period of time, finally gets a chance at romance with a shy diminutive girl who he saves from being harassed on a train.

Bishounen

Ameiro Cocoa - A college freshman starts working at a cafe, fun ensues.

Diamond no Ace Second Season - Second season of Production I.G.’s popular bishounen+sports anime.

Narudoma - A shounen ai story featuring a narcissist and a masochist.

Uta no ☆ Prince-sama Maji Revolutions
    - Third season of the popular visual novel adaptation that really should serve as the primary revenue stream for Elements Garden by now.

Comedy

Denpa Kyoushi
    - A kid genius becomes a NEET becomes a girl’s high-school teacher, adventures ensue.

Nisekoi 2
    - Second season of the popular manga adaptation, there will be LiSA.

Re-Kan! - The story of a high school girl who can interact with spirits and supernatural phenomena.

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo - A slacker switches bodies with a top student, there are seven witches in there somewhere.

Slice-of-Life

Eikoku Itte, Nihon o Taberu
    - Based on a series of essays (or a novel I can’t remember), this is an adaptation of a foreign family’s adventures in Japan.

Hello! Kin-iro Mosaic - Second season of the popular Manga Time Kirara 4-koma manga adaptation.

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (or “The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato”) - Set in the alternate universe that Yuki creates in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, this manga adaptation tells the story of Yuki as she runs the literary club and attempts to romance Kyon.

Urawa no Usagi-chan - Created to promote Urawa City in Japan, this slice of life show features stations but as girls because obviously.

Mecha

Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki - Second season of the mecha anime. Expect angela.

Music

Hibike! Euphonium - Whilst KyoAni doing a music show about high school girls
    evokes images of K-On!, this original work deals with Jazz music as
    opposed to Rock. Expect it to still be KyoAni though.

SHOW BY ROCK!! - Based on the smartphone game, this BONES work
    tells the original story of one girl who is transported to the game
    world and tries to make it big.

Artsy Stuff

Etotama - Why is this here? Because it is a pretty gusty concept. Combining 2D storytelling and 3D battle action scenes, this show tells the story involves a young man helping a spirit called Nya-tan reach her goal of joining the Chinese zodiac.

Houkago no Pleiades - An expansion of Gainax and Subaru (yes the car people)’s short series with it’s own take on the traditional magical girl witch story.

Plastic Memories - The story of a young man who meets a female robot that he has orders to decommission.

Punchline - A young man’s spirit is separated from his body but also he can’t see someone else’s underwear or the world will end.

Long-Runners

Battle Spirits: Burning Soul - Latest entry in this perpetually badly subbed card game anime, featuring adventures set in Warring States era Japan where monsters are used to do battle.

Duel Masters VSR (Or “Versus Revolution” for you word people) - Latest entry in this little known about outside Japan card game anime, things happen of some sort and they involve card games. All I got from the PV is that it will involve a mysterious carnival and a loooooot of explosions.

Future Card Buddyfight 100 - Sequel to the card game anime. There will be fripSide.

Gintama°
    - New season of the popular shounen series. Things will happen.

Jewelpet Magical Change - Latest entry in Sanrio's character goods based series.

PriPara 2 - Second season of the popular idol anime that will introduce a new attraction in the land of PriPara; the Dream Carnival.

Sports

Baby Steps 2
    - Second season of the tennis anime.

???

Digimon Adventure tri. - I’d put this in “Long-Runners” but we have zero information on it’s air dates or times. Anyways, a continuation of the Digimon Adventure storyline, set in the protagonist’s high school years.
  • edited 2015-03-23 16:08:27
    So many spoilers here:

I've been thinking about THE SKULL MAN lately and I kind of think I've finally worked out the themes relevance to the overall happenings of the series.

The show puts forward that if you want to really champion your ideals, the actual (rest of?) you will be lost along the way. This is the same for both the heroes and the villains. All of the men who wear the Skullman mask and are transformed into him have to give up some instance of themselves (Hayato more than Yoshio, but Yoshio always had that state of mind in place since he'd given himself up for both the Army and the Church beforehand).

On the villains side, we have all of the unwitting subjects who become monsters under the supervision of somebody else's will, which we're shown means they have no self control and are always desperately trying to find that instance of themselves that is removed from the monster form imposed on them. Whether it is brought to them by the cult or if they were part of the G.R.O. project. A similar arguement can be made for the "Brain Gear" soldiers.

In a similar vein, we have those who have no ideals and are basically acting on their basic human greed, you'll note everybody on this side dies with no sense of fullfillment. In fact, you can see the 009 characters who come in to find the source of the G.R.O project as the ones who excise justice on them, almost benevolent in their actions with a sense of structured ideals for a better world.
  • edited 2015-03-25 13:46:09
    Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! is over now. It was the greatest "bishounens are mahou shoujo also it's an interstellar reality show" ending ever.

Aikatsu! actually had an episode where they sent Soleil off on tour for six whole months (which possibly covers the ending of this season as well?). Akari plans to wrench the Starlight Queen title from Sakura's cold, dead, Yamato Nadeshiko hands because she's motivated now (Unless Sakura graduates and can't defend the title first). Erm, even more motivated.

Whilst I'm in love with this whole "Ichigo always knew Akari had it in her" thing I can never help but have moments where I think on some sick psychological level Ichigo has been manipulating Akari this whole time because she's a sociopath but not in an evil way, just to feed her own Giant Strawberry Ego.

Also I love how Aikatsu! isn't even pretending that it's turned a new leaf with the non main three characters. Juri was actually in Soleil's sendoff episode but she was only in it long enough to point the main three to Soleil's planning room but couldn't go in with them because no reason aside from she's not an MC. And they literally sent the other non-MC idol away for at least two and a half more cours.

Can't wait for Madoka and Rin to show up next cour and I really enjoyed the bit of Lovely Party Collection I've heard so I can't wait for it to become the OP.
  • Maybe On Earth. Maybe In the Future.
    Well the Garo anime wrapped up in about the best way possible, by completely and utterly nailing it's core theme of inheritance/legacy on it's head. The theme's always been a pretty important part of the franchise, but I've got to say that Kobayashi taking that and making it the complete focal point of the series in nearly every aspect was possibly the best thing you could do for this and really hit me in all the right notes. Add in probably my favorite Garo cast since the first two live action shows and some really awesome fight sequences and this is probably going to be my favorite anime of 2014/2015. Definitely can't wait for season 2.

Meanwhile G-Reco's ending was kinda rushed and lack luster at best. Probably doesn't help it basically lost me mid-way though the show and never really got me back on board. I honestly have no idea what Tomino was actually trying to really do with the show overall. Generally managed to be pretty entertaining despite that, but lots of lost potetntial it seems.
    Future Card Buddyfight ended, it was pretty much the perfect ending for it. Now on to Hundred next week!
  • edited 2015-04-05 08:16:56
    Crunchyroll licensed Tesagure! Bukatsumono's third season.

This makes very little sense given that 1.) they didn't license the first two seasons (and neither did anyone else, and I don't even think they got good fansubs), and 2.) it's a crossover with a manga/radio show that no non-Japanese person would be familiar with.

I know Crunchyroll just licenses whatever they can, but wow this is a really confusing "first" episode (or as confusing as a show can be when it's just a slice of life-ish anime about nothing anyway).
  • Destined for infinity or a miracle...
    Really long time no see. Haha.

For this season, I'm struggling to pick things that I'll be able to reliably follow. I'm updated with the respective manga of Yamada and Souma so far, which really saps any motivation to follow either of them. Souma's pilot, was well...a pilot. That said, they really ought to tone down the foodgasms from here on out for them to have any sort of impact later on. That said, still cautious about whether they'll be able to do Tosh's art justice.

If ever I am to follow Yamada, it's probably only going to be for Odagiri. I'm fascinated with the Japanese's penchant for making side heroines that manage to utterly eclipse the main heroine's charm and appeal. Maybe that's just on my end though.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Ore Monogatari though, those lips stole my heart at first glance. Jokes aside, it looks to be pretty interesting. Oregairu will be on my list as well. I was thoroughly impressed by the first season, and the fresh art style will be neat. I love this series so enough that even if when updated with the novels, I still have it in me to be still really hooked onto this series. Also, more Haruno! Anyone else up to date with it? It's got a pretty active translation team/guy.

For Chihayafuru fans, there's apparently going to be a special announcement regarding the series on April 15th. Cross your fingers for Season 3 guys!!

• edited 2015-04-06 18:21:53
    Akame ga Kill seems to have a problem with telling rather than showing.

Also, Akame vaguely looks like a certain other character but I can't figure out who for some reason.
    they really ought to tone down the foodgasms from here on out for them to have any sort of impact later on.
    They could always just keep ramping them up (if they can). Also I had my suspicions about this after watching all the CMs.

For Chihayafuru fans, there's apparently going to be a special
    announcement regarding the series on April 15th. Cross your fingers for
    Season 3 guys!!

I still haven't seen the second season ;-;
  • Destined for infinity or a miracle...
    Akame ga Kill seems to have a problem with telling rather than showing.

I'd attribute that to the main author of the series being the head honcho for the Majikoi series Visual Novels which, given the platform, are all about telling rather than showing. Heck, he even takes plot points from the games and incorporates them into AgK. Esdeath for example is pretty much an expy of Kawakami Momoyo from Majikoi if left to go berserk.

I still haven't seen the second season ;-;

Watch. Now. You're not living your life correctly.
  • edited 2015-10-09 06:58:11
    [user deleted]
  • edited 2015-04-07 15:39:05
    Kekkai Sensen has so much promise, all it really needs is to have a really amazing all throughout arc. It's a show that obviously really benefits from it's director during the action scenes and the pacing is really nice. I like the main characters even though half have only appeared in snippets. I also like the overall battle choreography and style (even though it is basically almost too-sooning 9/11 in every scene it's skirting the okay side of that line). Evil scientist guy reminded me of scientist girl from Kyousogiga but that was probably also just the director. Found it weird that cafe girl was drawn in an FMA style compared to the rest of the show but maybe that was just me?

I assumed I'd be saying something like "UtaPri has returned with a bang!", but it was actually a pretty soft opening episode that just led us through the characters again in a really nice way. The last bit really brought it up to speed though and I was touched by the writing. CG aidorus are like... Love Live! tier but the models look better than that and they don't jitter around the stage as much and it's not that prominent but when it's intersped with the rest of the action it is quite jarring because the 2D animation is top notch. QUARTET NIGHT's entire opening performance was animated in 2D though (I thiiiink because it might just have been really brilliant CG). Cecil is still best aidoru.

SHOW BY ROCK!! was adorable, I really liked that they even had a fake OP for whatever reason. Cyan and Trichronika (and I guess yuri-inu one) are really fun but everybody else is yet to prove themselves. CG is like beyond brilliant and I cannot get over how cute and amazing it looked.

Re: Lady Jewelpet OP: Fairies always sound like that.
  • I watched episode one of Gunslinger Stratos for some reason.
    I think (=I know) I have some fondness for extremely boring and unimaginative sci-fi anime since I watched most of Mahouka, so maybe I'll stick with this for at least a whole entire other week, but otherwise I'm not sure there's anything notable about this show in any way.

As for Your Love, somehow this was the first time I ever actually listened to the full version of the song. Huh.
  • edited 2015-04-07 18:34:47
    I accidentally watched ep 1 of Gunslinger Stratos too last night, with a few friends, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna continue watching.

At least it didn't make me cringe and want to shut it off like that show about retiring androids did.
  • edited 2015-04-08 03:05:18
    Oh hey what do you know that was going to be the next anime I try watching.

See, thing is, I haven't watched much anime in a while so the plan was I'd watch the worst-looking shows I can so I don't come back to watching anime and be like "oh hey this is less garbage than I remember" and then be disappointed when no, anime really does all suck. Just to get my expectations in line, y'know? So... I guess it was a good choice? We'll see when I actually do end up watching it later.

What I expect: I'll just go back to only watching PriPara and Jewelpet anyway.

EDIT: Didn't watch Plastic Memories after all, but did watch ep 1 of Hibike! Euphonium. Despite being a really transparent attempt at KyoAni getting back some of their K-ON! money, it doesn't actually feel much like K-ON! (except to the extent that any KyoAni anime feels like any other KyoAni anime), which is maybe a good thing. Has all the expected KyoAni things (cute. actually giving at least a little bit of a shit about writing and editing. nice animation.) Only KyoAni trope it's missing is fanservice in the ED, which I can live without tbh. So far it's good, but even Kyokai no Kanata had a pretty decent first episode. 
    PriPara has become the best of bests (I have no idea if you stopped watching before or after Falulu ripped off Cinderella, Frozen and... basically everyone) and this year's Jewelpet looks like it will actually be really great (misono and Takagaki Ayahi are in it even!).

In fact if Jewelpet Magical Change has a really good first episode I will totally drop Kekkai Sensen for it. Also I need to try OreMono.

Euphonium is based on a romance novel so... I think that might be relevant eventually?

I really don't like Gunslinger Stratos' artstyle which is the entire reason I haven't watched it.

Also it occurs to me that this season of UtaPri is about performing at the Olympics (which must be trademarked or something because it's called the SSS in-show) opening event.
  • edited 2015-04-08 05:26:59
    I stopped watching Pripara like five whole months ago I don't think Falulu even did anything as far as I got up to.

I know nothing at all about this season of Jewelpet but, uh... so Garnet and Sapphie aren't main characters anymore? Why? Their characters aren't popular anymore? Nozomi Sasaki and Aya Hirano can't/won't do it anymore? Either way, I'll miss them, for sure. At least Ruby is still present and is still Ayaka Saitou. Also Luea is still the villain/antagonist/rival/mysterious-character/whatever? I guess there's nothing wrong with that though.
    I like Garnet a lot but I have no idea if I'd like Sapphie without Charon.

Also I really probably should've finished Lady Jewelpet instead of ToQGer (which I still have seven episodes left of anyways).
  • Kyoukai no Rinne episode one was really fun and I definitely want to keep watching it.
    It's also apparently an NHK E-Tele show.
    Surely there has to be at least one bad NHK anime. And yet, I've never found one.
  • edited 2015-04-08 21:00:44
    Gunslinger non-Girl Stratos non-4 seems to have decent art, from the first ep I've seen of it.

I was surprised that the female character had lipstick on.  This seems to be a rarity in anime.  And honestly, I actually prefer no lipstick.  But this is not a major issue.

Kraken wrote: »
    Why is this so US Top-40?

Huh, you're right, this DOES sound A-poppy.

I'm gonna guess it's because it's kinda repetitive in the melody's notes, monotonous with the harmony, and generates its interest mostly in the rhythmic patterns and vocal effects?  That's my best guess, but someone with a different perspective might have more insight.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also, Sound of the Sky (Sora no Woto) is making me curious about learning to play the trumpet/bugle.
  • edited 2015-04-09 02:53:01
    Baby Steps season 2 is season 2 of Baby Steps.

Ore Monogatari is annoyingly "nice guy"/"white knight"/women-owe-me-sex-because-i-help-them-sometimes but I guess this show at least bothers to be entertaining unlike a lot of other anime that do similar things. Hopefully love interest girl actually becomes an interesting/funny/anything-at-all character soon though since right now it's like she's just designed to be generically cute and that's it. It was pretty funny other than that though?

Houkago no Pleiades episode 1 was basically a recap of the ONA series. This doesn't really work though, since while the lack of characterization and stuff was fine when they only had twenty minutes across four episodes to tell the whole story, it's really kind of distracting here. They talk about how MC is clumsy and stuff, but she doesn't actually act like that (or indeed, seem to have any identifiable characteristics at all besides liking astronomy) in the first episode. Similarly, her whole thing with her friend-in-middle-school-but-possibly-not-friends-anymore-but-now-friends-again-(?) Aoi makes literal sense since they explain it but there's no emotional effect whatsoever since it's not explained until the moment that they meet each other and even then it's done in a sort of offhand way. Also why does Gainax still exist?

Oh wow all my hopes for OreMono.

Anyways Gainax still exist because the animation in the ONAs for Pleiades was the best and the anime gods are giving them another chance.

I'll still watch both Pleiades and OreMono later but neither looks like my "It's worth dropping Kekkai Sensen" show at the moment. Also I have Aikatsu! and PriPara to watch so it'll be much later.