If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There's .hack, SAO and this. Three over the course of 10 years is not a lot, but the fact that the other two are, for better or worse, pretty present in the public consciousness, it might seem that way.

• a little muffled

everything i know about log horizon:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Naas_Human wrote:

Pretty sure there aren't even that many shows with that specific premise. Unlessyou expand to a more general "people trapped in another world".

Well I was thinking of "trapped in a virtual world" as a premise.

I was thinking those three shows, as well as Bokurano.

Looking through the MAL recs for SAO (laugh all you want at its very low signal-to-noise ratio, but it's at least one convenient way of getting this information), it seems that Hunter x Hunter has at least a part like this, and also a show called Webdiver and maybe another called Dragon Drive?  Also, technically, Mega Man Battle Network, I think, though the "being stuck" part is not the premise.

Was also thinking Accel World though again I'm not sure if the characters actually get stuck in it.

• edited 2014-10-15 18:32:01

There's also Gene Diver.

Also, lots of media that isn't anime, of course (e.g. Tron). It's just a somewhat popular premise because video games are popular and lots of people think virtual reality is cool.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Log Horizon rocks motherfucker. As in, it goes into POLITICS LITE and ECONOMY LITE in a virtual world. Also, the NPCs are people.

• edited 2014-10-15 21:07:23

I was thinking those three shows, as well as Bokurano.

Bokurano is a mecha show. Pretty sure they don't spend a huge amount of time trapped in any virtual thing.

Did you misread this part of the TVTropes article?

a group of middle-school children who are contracted into a "game" where they pilot a Humongous Mecha

Stuff take place in actual physical space from what I remember after seeing episode 1. Maybe that guy presented it as a game, but I recall the mecha being physical objects and all.

No, I actually didn't check TV Tropes at all.

I haven't seen Bokurano so I was probably off the mark with that one.  Maybe with Dragon Drive and Webdiver too.

As for the premise itself, I first ran into it in the form of a V.R. Troopers novella.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:08:27

[user deleted]

Oh, it was No Game No Life, that was one of two or three other recent shows that were about online games and being stuck there, or something.

As I'm typing this, DYRE says it's "just a typical non-virtual fantasy world".  I can't say anything else since I haven't even seen it.

Also, Log Horizon is on my to-watch list.  Somewhere.

• You're just stretching definitions now.

• This just in, The Twelve Kingdoms is a show about being stuck in an MMO.

• edited 2014-10-16 14:40:48

Ufotable has so much budget for Fate/stay Night that they can draw the exact same shot differently.

comparison

The second scene is a flashback to the exact same moment as the first.

• edited 2014-10-17 05:50:35
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I listened to a German fandub of Magia (the ED from MadoMagi) a little bit and it seems to sound better than the Japanese version.

• Noimporta wrote:

This just in, The Twelve Kingdoms is a show about being stuck in an MMO.

It's funny because one of the characters actually thinks this.

I kinda hate Suzumiya Haruhi's ugly mug on the cover of the anime series bearing her name, but then again, that would be in-character for her.

• Well, one of my favorite SJ series ended its run last month, but at least it's getting a sequel before the end of the year! - http://www.fandompost.com/2014/10/09/kurokos-basketball-manga-sequel-launch-scheduled/

It's in Jump Next, so it'll probably be a one-shot pilot chapter that may or may not hit the main SJ magazine in early 2015.  Hard to tell with these things. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

>As if KuroBas would ever, ever end

• I was surprised at first; the manga was pretty successful overall and has its anime going into a third season.  I figured it would go the Eyeshield 21 route and unite the best players from the whole series into a U17 team and compete against a team from the USA.  But whatever, I'll take any kind of sequel.  For most of its run KB was my favorite SJ manga other than One Piece. 

The Devil is a Part-Timer x Unholy Heights:

The Devil is a Part-Time Property Manager

http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=655477

the battle between the super cute eldritch horrors

• edited 2014-10-30 01:49:32

> I'm a maaagical stick of love and justice!  The super cute Ruby!

When you told your former master to fuck ff, I was suddenly having faith in your judgement.  Then I lost it.

> And I want youuuuu to be a maagical girl!  What do you say?

no

> Become a magical girl, and lend me your power!  We can fight eeevil together, we can save the wooorld, we can save the universe...

LAST TIME SOMEONE DID THAT, THEY BECAME A WORLD-DESTROYING ZOMBIE.  FUCK OFF.

• edited 2014-10-30 01:53:12

> "...what exactly is happening right here...?"

> Oh, you're probably wondering what's going on, aren't you?

> "Kinda, sorta."

> How tragic!  Do today's children no longer dream of becoming magical girls?!

Take your complaint to the TSAB.  They're supposed to be in charge of dimensional fuckery, and they still haven't done anything about this "Incubator" bullshit, in the name of isolationism, or so they say.  Get them to drop their non-intervention policy and do something already, then you might stop having such a bad rap.

Also, you're abusive.  And perverted.  And get into people's personal space.  Go away.

OH GOSH

IT'S A SHIPPER

BURN IT

BURN IT WITH FIRE

• edited 2014-10-30 02:17:05

OH GOSH YOU'RE AS FUCKING MANIPULATIVE AS THAT DUMB-FACED PUFFBALL I RAN INTO LAST TIME

YOU JUST HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF SUBTLETY UNLIKE THAT THING

AND YOU'RE EVEN PROVIDING COMMENTARY

I FUCKING HATE YOU ALREADY

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?  Being seen in that getup makes me want to jump off a bridge!"
    "At this point I think this is my only option..."

Well I guess we all get scammed sometime.  For some people, it's losing $96 virtual game items, for others, it's voting idiots into office, and for a special few, it's being contracted into using magic by manipulative douchebags.

...at least one of which has a foul mouth too.

"I've gotten mixed up in some strange things"

No, you just became cast as a main character in a stupid show.

Okay, admittedly, it was vaguely amusing.  But in a facepalm way.  The kind of way that's only funny for more than about half an hour if we have a well-written story with a well-written sane person being dragged into a pile of well-meaning stupidity (of which this has not been so far).  Or at 3 AM, which is also known as "search for failblog videos on Youtube" hour.

• what are you even doing

i was watching one jerk reject a second jerk and proceed onto traumatizing a 10-year-old girl via emotional manipulation
  • GMH why are you watching Prism Illya didn't we all warn you multiple times

•  

Kare Kano had a Very Good first episode

I'm basically in love with the main girl already

• edited 2014-11-02 01:38:37

transliteration: Miku no Kanzume

strict translation, improper localization: Miku's Canned

proper localization: A Can of Miku, or Miku in a Can

i want to see a picture of Iona (from Arpeggio) and an owl having a staring contest

Endless Thirteen