If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2013-02-15 07:15:31

The thing is, most anime that aren't one cour are eight hours long at their shortest, meaning they aren't really marathon material in the first place.

"Marathoning" a series doesn't really require watching every episode all at once...

More importantly though, @GMH: it's pretty easy to tell within an episode or two whether or not it is better to watch it all very quickly or space it out, so a recommendation like that wouldn't be very useful.

• edited 2013-02-15 11:43:54
    There is love everywhere, I already know

More on Uta~Kata 09... Ichika can now hear and more importantly, experience peoples thoughts. This is before she transforms. As she can't throw away the magic charm either, assuming that Saya didn't manipulate the charm into coming back I think I understand what everyone means by her not being able to run away anymore.

Elaborating on the experiencing of peoples thoughts, it allows us to see things you wouldn't usually be able to see. Of course I assumed Keiko was angry and sad, but seeing it allowed me to look at another dimension of her as a character, a way we'd seen characters like Satsuki (not only as she spoke of her abuse, but when she lost her crush to Keiko too) who are more open with their emotions despite their hatred of them. Keiko is almost her opposite.

Y'know, this game would be fair if they'd told her the "You'll go crazy" part beforehand. But I've come to realize that the half-truths and secretiveness are one of the main themes of this show, with Ichika herself remembering her many lies over the course of the show. In fact, the one person who attempted to be honest was punished (Sei) and even among her own friends everybody has their own little secrets (I think even Michiru is hiding something). I wonder if this'll tie in later.

tl;dr Mahou Shoujo is deep psychological mess n stuff!

Finally: I can't believe I forgot to ask but @GMH, are Satsuki and Keiko experimenting or bisexual or just really lonely or something? (Don't answer if it's a spoiler though.)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't remember them being involved with each other, but I don't have yuri goggles.

Also, if a theme of the show is that lying is bad, then why was the person who tried to tell the truth punished?  (I don't have an answer to this question.)

• edited 2013-02-15 14:21:40

They should fix those reds before release but very nice. I'll be getting both.

I find the school uniform look to be boring by default for Akane, simply because she has a more super hero-y costume. If I'm getting any figures of these, they'll be the palette suit versions. Sometimes I wonder if merchandise makers have a school uniform fixation, considering that Max Factory made a Lelouch Lamperouge Figma instead of a Zero Figma. Then again, they did make Shiro Emiya and Rin Tohsaka in their causal clothes instead of school uniforms, so maybe its only with characters for whom school uniform is the "default" look.

Whatever. I think I have a hateboner for figures of teenagers in school uniform. Those tend to be bland compared to other outfits they can work with. Major exception being that dude from Linebarrels of Iron, but maybe that's because he works for a company that makes medical equipment.

/toy rant

• Those tend to be bland compared to other outfits they can work with.

But anime school uniforms are deliberately as un-bland as they can be!

Anyway, there are definitely going to be palette suit versions released eventually, unless it somehow turns out that absolutely nobody cares about Vividred Operation enough to buy merchandise.  Which is, you know, unlikely.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

@GMH: They kiss. Twice. Once as Satsuki starts crying and then on the train home.

Also, if a theme of the show is that lying is bad, then why was the person who tried to tell the truth punished?

Because the show needs to obey it's own laws first and foremost? Because as far as I see lying hasn't directly caused Ichika any trouble and therefore we can't exactly jump to "lying is bad" from "people in life can be quite secretive"?

Those tend to be bland compared to other outfits they can work with.

But anime school uniforms are deliberately as un-bland as they can be!

Expanding on this, Vividred's school uniforms are pretty unique with the shorts (in fact they make the zettai ryouiki look really streamlined and it's basically the only time joint-obviousness hasn't annoyed me).

To me if a school uniform is cool enough it needs to be figmaified if the series is popular enough.

If anything they'll make school uniform, pallete suit and swimsuit versions. For Pallete suits I'd only get Akane and Wakaba though unless the other two looked really good compared to the school uniforms, I'll get all five if my pockets allow.

• edited 2013-02-16 07:05:09

Eh, for me at least, school uniforms tend to be the least visually striking version of a character, if only because they're wearing the same outfit as everybody else. Major exception being the guy from Linebarrels of Iron, but maybe that's because his JUDA outfit is also a uniform.

Some not-so-random sampling here:

Suzaku: School uniform, Knight/pilot

Nanoha and Fate: School uniform, Barrier Jacket

Hibiki Tachibana: Symphogear, uniform, casual

Takuto: School uniform, Galactic Pretty Boy

Natsuki Kuga: School uniform, bikesuit.

School uniforms have a limit to how much personality the outfit can convey, and a lot of characters have more unique/striking/outlandish outfits that can work for merchandise. Well, if you look at action-heavy characters.

unless it somehow turns out that absolutely nobody cares about Vividred Operation enough to buy merchandise.  Which is, you know, unlikely.

More like impossible, now.

and it's basically the only time joint-obviousness hasn't annoyed me).

Doesn't Hibiki Tachibana also have well-hidden joints on her Figma? (mine hasn't arrived yet) Actually, doesn't Figma in general have less obstructive jointwork than other toylines like say, Mattel's DC Universe figures, or Baandai's Thundercats 2011 stuff?

If anything they'll make school uniform, pallete suit and swimsuit versions.

I'm guessing you're referring to merchandise in general, right? Swimsuit Figma is... unprecedented.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I meant with school uniform figmas. School uniform figma joints always bother me.

And Bandai's American things always suck.

Yeah, in general.

Speaking of in general the Akane on Puppy figure was also announced.

• edited 2013-02-17 20:42:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

MISSION

ACCOMPLISHED

I bought both items the day before, but got that signed at Katsucon on Saturday.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

So, I watched the first two episodes of Kino's Journey, and I think I'm in love.

• edited 2013-02-18 22:32:07
    Has friends besides tanks now

Conversely, my anime club watched the first episode of Vividred Operation and I want to cut something.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Good, good, All Nines. I'm proud of you. :')

• Has friends besides tanks now

thanks nova

• Is that the creepy little girl fighting anime?

• Has friends besides tanks now

If by that you mean the one where the sun comes up under an underaged girl's ass before we're a minute into the episode, then yes.

• edited 2013-02-19 00:11:05
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

That's kind of a red flag as far as I'm concerned. I'd honestly suggest leaving the club if shit like this continues.

• edited 2013-02-19 00:17:19

(EDIT: Ah, you edited your post, I guess.)

• edited 2013-02-19 01:27:31

I'll go to the next one because a friend of mine is showing that week, but yeah, the fact that they okayed this really doesn't sit well with me. I'm half-considering asking that they, you know, not show jailbait-y stuff.

Also, the person who showed Vividred is in my writing class, too, which is kind of awkward. She said she didn't like the ass shots, either, but I don't know how she could watch the first scene and not immediately get creeped out of trying.

Well it's possible that for some people, they're neither aroused nor creeped out by it, and it's just "there" for them.  So the idea that it's extremely base pandering is more of a "thinking" than "feeling" thing to them.

• edited 2013-02-19 04:54:45

I find the fanservice in Vividred annoying because therehave been hotter animu chars.

although, I think fanservice in general just annoys me more than anything now.

• edited 2013-02-19 04:52:18

Why can't they do fanservice the way Precure does it?

That is, by not drawing undue attention to female characters' body parts, but by emphasizing the characters' general awesomeness in terms of what they accomplish.

• I think Vividred tries that, but so far I've been watching, most of the girls seem like they're able to do all those things without too much effort anyway, so I'm not really wowed. It's just... I dunno, it's like I'm not supposed to find anything to be too big a deal so far? Admittedly, I'm a little behind right now...

• edited 2013-02-19 06:53:04

@fourteenwings: I have something for you to do (if you want):

Reorder the Eureka Seven soundtrack (all four discs, two in each volume) so that it

1. roughly follows the events of the story, especially highlighting the main couple's developing relationship and the awesome results that evolve from it

2. makes dramatic/musical sense (e.g. don't randomly intersperse unsettling, sad, and happy tracks)

3. places OP1 at the beginning, ED1 roughly where the first quarter ends, OP2 roughly where the second quarter begins (doesn't need to be immediately after ED1), ED2 roughly at the halfway point, and so forth, ending in ED4

4. include the tracks in OST vol. 2, disc 2

• but I don't know how she could watch the first scene and not immediately get creeped out of trying.

I haven't seen the scene in question, and the anime is probably shit, but being put off a series entirely because of one scene like that is being a tad too thin skinned... unless its something like baby rape, I guess. Is it baby rape?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, I think there's a fair difference between "A single scene" and "The first scene". The first scene will, after all, be most people's first impressions on the show, and getting a butt shot slammed right into your face during the first scene generally does not bode well.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Depends who is watching :3

• edited 2013-02-19 11:24:32

^^ And it certainly doesn't help when it also happens in the second scene, when it's the freaking main character. And in three or four other scenes.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I haven't seen the scene in question, and the anime is probably shit, but being put off a series entirely because of one scene like that is being a tad too thin skinned...

Yes, because not tolerating disgusting fanservice on any level is being thin-skinned.

I don't know what scene we're talking about, and I'm not sure I want to know, but here's the trailer, and that camera-to-the-ass about half a minute in really has no functional justification at all.

• You can change. You can.

does camera-to-the-ass ever have a functional justification

well maybe if someone ever does a plot following chris walken in pulp fiction where we follow the watch or someshit

heheheh someshit